Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

No, you can only enter one class per dog :)

You can actually enter multiple of classes, but if you are awarded 2nd in one, you are automatically disqualified from the others as you are a second place getter.

I know one person who once entered her dog in state and open, there were 3 dogs in state and she was the only one in open, because she entered both, she had to participate in both, she got awarded 2nd in state, which meant she was already a beaten dog, and couldnt go in both.

IMO - Its a waste of money.

When it comes down to choosing if you want to enter your dog in Minor or Puppy, i go on maturity. If I have a very mature 8 month old, I may put it up to Puppy. But you must remember some dogs in puppy are almost 12 months.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This information is helpful, good topic :) I had asked some other questions in another thread in The Show Ring but just noticed this thread so I might keep the questions in here from now on.

Can someone please explain what Sweepstakes are? I've heard people say "He came fourth in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes" or similar, what is this?

Sweepies are a fun, yet still competitive class. They nominate an age group, and any exhibit in that age bracket is eligible to participate, usually the entry fee is about $5.

Usually there are 1st - 4th places. The entry fee goes back as rosette and the prize money. For winning 3rd in Puppy Sweeps this weekend, i got a rosette and $30.

All breeds go in together, instead of being broken down to breed / group and judges pick from a line up of all breeds. They can usually attract about 30 entries.

Hope this clears it up for you

This information is helpful, good topic :) I had asked some other questions in another thread in The Show Ring but just noticed this thread so I might keep the questions in here from now on.

Can someone please explain what Sweepstakes are? I've heard people say "He came fourth in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes" or similar, what is this?

Sweepies are a fun, yet still competitive class. They nominate an age group, and any exhibit in that age bracket is eligible to participate, usually the entry fee is about $5.

Usually there are 1st - 4th places. The entry fee goes back as rosette and the prize money. For winning 3rd in Puppy Sweeps this weekend, i got a rosette and $30.

All breeds go in together, instead of being broken down to breed / group and judges pick from a line up of all breeds. They can usually attract about 30 entries.

Ohhhh ok. So do they just nominate an age group on the day? Or do you know in advance that this show on this date will have Puppy Sweepstakes? Are all age groups included - surely they wouldn't have Open would they? Heaps of dogs in there I'd imagine!

Ohhhh ok. So do they just nominate an age group on the day? Or do you know in advance that this show on this date will have Puppy Sweepstakes? Are all age groups included - surely they wouldn't have Open would they? Heaps of dogs in there I'd imagine!

No, it will be advertised in the schedule what sweepstakes are available at the show. We are having a show coming up where they are having Baby, Puppy, Junior, Non Champion, Champion, Neuter, Veteran, Special Veteran sweepstakes.

Just wanted to ask this question again, if someone wouldn't mind clearing it up for me I'd really appreciate it :rofl:

Also (thanks to another thread!) I have just worked out all the classes, and what winning them means, etc. When it comes to the Group judging, they have classes again, is that right? So you get Baby Puppy of Group, Puppy of Group, Junior of Group, etc...? Then out of all THOSE winners do they choose an overall Best In Group? Same goes for Best In Show? Or have I got this bit totally wrong... :laugh:

Just wanted to ask this question again, if someone wouldn't mind clearing it up for me I'd really appreciate it :)
Also (thanks to another thread!) I have just worked out all the classes, and what winning them means, etc. When it comes to the Group judging, they have classes again, is that right? So you get Baby Puppy of Group, Puppy of Group, Junior of Group, etc...? Then out of all THOSE winners do they choose an overall Best In Group? Same goes for Best In Show? Or have I got this bit totally wrong... :banghead:

oh bugger, nevermind - I just went to check facts and am back to being confused :rofl:

check out this link though :rofl:http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/how-to-exhibit-your-dog

Edited by Kissindra

• 4 weeks later...

(b) gains a total of 100 points, of which twenty five (25) of these points are

gained after the age of twelve (12) months; may apply for such dog to be

known as a Champion.

So does this mean if u have a dog with say 91 points prior to 12 months they only need 25 after 12 months?? or do u need to get 34 points? So if it's sounding confusing.

(b) gains a total of 100 points, of which twenty five (25) of these points are

gained after the age of twelve (12) months; may apply for such dog to be

known as a Champion.

So does this mean if u have a dog with say 91 points prior to 12 months they only need 25 after 12 months?? or do u need to get 34 points? So if it's sounding confusing.

You only need 25 points after 12 months.

Cheers Kate

• 2 weeks later...
No, you can only enter one class per dog :dunce:

You can actually enter multiple of classes, but if you are awarded 2nd in one, you are automatically disqualified from the others as you are a second place getter.

I know one person who once entered her dog in state and open, there were 3 dogs in state and she was the only one in open, because she entered both, she had to participate in both, she got awarded 2nd in state, which meant she was already a beaten dog, and couldnt go in both.

When it comes down to choosing if you want to enter your dog in Minor or Puppy, i go on maturity. If I have a very mature 8 month old, I may put it up to Puppy. But you must remember some dogs in puppy are almost 12 months.

CruiseNRoxy this is infact incorrect.

I have a Whippet bitch I exhibit that we frequently exhibit in Intermediate (her age class) and NT (State) Bred (means more to her owner/breeder).

We have had this come up in the past and according to the rules a dog must be judged in ALL classes it is entered in.

So for example, we had Nicky in Intermediate and she was exhibited against one other and was beaten. She is a beaten dog in the Intermediate class but has not had her shot in the State Bred class, and therefore is not a beaten dog in that class. She would then go against another bitch for State Bred and usually get first, because of the second place in another class she is not eligible for Challenge, however if the Intermediate bitch gets challenge she is eligible to contend for Res CC.

If she gets first in both of her classes and then goes onto win Challenge, both of the second place dogs return for Challenge.

For us it is worth it because we exhibit a few Whippet bitches but there is only 2 of us to handle, by doing this we knock ourselves out (unavoidable anyway) and usually have 2 left which works well for us.

If I need to clarify let me know.

Just to add to that Megz, if the bitch wins Inter and 2nd in State, bitch is still capable of getting Inter of Breed and then in turn able to contend through to Inter in Show, not bad for a beaten dog :happydance:

You can cancel entries with Show Sec, UP UNTIL Closing DATE, after that time, you have to just forfeit the entries.

If you have a few dogs entered and have pulled one of your dogs, please be courteous and notify the Steward of the scratching, saves their voice a bit :)

Just to add to that Megz, if the bitch wins Inter and 2nd in State, bitch is still capable of getting Inter of Breed and then in turn able to contend through to Inter in Show, not bad for a beaten dog :happydance:

You can cancel entries with Show Sec, UP UNTIL Closing DATE, after that time, you have to just forfeit the entries.

If you have a few dogs entered and have pulled one of your dogs, please be courteous and notify the Steward of the scratching, saves their voice a bit :)

Very true.

Double check all the details on your entry form before you send them, even if you print them just check them periodically, it's easy in some programs for a slip of the finger to change formatting or add letters in places. Some people work from memory too so second glances can never hurt.

Check your details in the catalogue when you get to a show, you are responsible for correct information. You can glance at one at the office if you haven't ordered one.

Further to that, always double check that your dog is DEFINITELY in it's correct class, from my time checking entries I have had some fun ones, imports entered in Aust Bred, etc, so it doesn't hurt to check.

I have a Whippet bitch I exhibit that we frequently exhibit in Intermediate (her age class) and NT (State) Bred (means more to her owner/breeder).

We have had this come up in the past and according to the rules a dog must be judged in ALL classes it is entered in.

So for example, we had Nicky in Intermediate and she was exhibited against one other and was beaten. She is a beaten dog in the Intermediate class but has not had her shot in the State Bred class, and therefore is not a beaten dog in that class. She would then go against another bitch for State Bred and usually get first, because of the second place in another class she is not eligible for Challenge, however if the Intermediate bitch gets challenge she is eligible to contend for Res CC.

If she gets first in both of her classes and then goes onto win Challenge, both of the second place dogs return for Challenge.

For us it is worth it because we exhibit a few Whippet bitches but there is only 2 of us to handle, by doing this we knock ourselves out (unavoidable anyway) and usually have 2 left which works well for us.

Actually, the rules state that a beaten dog may not compete for the challenge so even if your bitch may win one class, if she is beaten in another she should not compete for the CC.

And with regards to entering in multiple classes anyway, check with your individual state controlling body on this rule. Here in Tasmania, we are allowed to enter ONE class only per dog per show (with the exception of sweepstakes, progeny, property classes etc if offered).

And with regards to entering in multiple classes anyway, check with your individual state controlling body on this rule. Here in Tasmania, we are allowed to enter ONE class only per dog per show (with the exception of sweepstakes, progeny, property classes etc if offered).

I would assume same here in VIC give the fact that I have NEVER seen one entered in more than one. I just did a very brief skim of the VCA site but could not fine the rule, but I did not look very hard. :)

I would assume same here in VIC give the fact that I have NEVER seen one entered in more than one. I just did a very brief skim of the VCA site but could not fine the rule, but I did not look very hard. :)

hi BBJ .. this is allowable in Vic - I have seen it quite a few times over the years. Usually new exhibitors who don't realise what they're doing.

Actually, the rules state that a beaten dog may not compete for the challenge so even if your bitch may win one class, if she is beaten in another she should not compete for the CC.

As Megz said, she IS NOT eligible for the Challenge, but she MAY be eligble for ResCC.

hi BBJ .. this is allowable in Vic - I have seen it quite a few times over the years. Usually new exhibitors who don't realise what they're doing.

Well there you go! Told you I did not look hard. :happydance:

Or people who have nothing better to do with their money but spend it on entries :happydance:

As Megz said, she IS NOT eligible for the Challenge, but she MAY be eligble for ResCC.

Was more making the point that the individual should check with the controlling body in their state because multiple class entries may not be allowed.

• Troy unpinned this topic