Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

And with regards to entering in multiple classes anyway, check with your individual state controlling body on this rule. Here in Tasmania, we are allowed to enter ONE class only per dog per show (with the exception of sweepstakes, progeny, property classes etc if offered).

I would assume same here in VIC give the fact that I have NEVER seen one entered in more than one. I just did a very brief skim of the VCA site but could not fine the rule, but I did not look very hard. :happydance:

hi BBJ .. this is allowable in Vic - I have seen it quite a few times over the years. Usually new exhibitors who don't realise what they're doing.

Or people who have nothing better to do with their money but spend it on entries :thumbsup:

It's ok up here because our entry fees are scaled, usually it's $15 1st entry, $12 2nd, $10 3rd and $5 there after, when you are entering 10-12 dogs it's down to $5 by the time we decide to enter the second class for our bitch. :thumbsup: (Some clubs have decided to add to their schedules second class for the same dog is a higher fee but only 1 thus far)

As Megz said, she IS NOT eligible for the Challenge, but she MAY be eligble for ResCC.

Was more making the point that the individual should check with the controlling body in their state because multiple class entries may not be allowed.

I think you'll find it's not a state control thing (in most states) it is something added to the Schedule, but it always pays to check. :)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And with regards to entering in multiple classes anyway, check with your individual state controlling body on this rule. Here in Tasmania, we are allowed to enter ONE class only per dog per show (with the exception of sweepstakes, progeny, property classes etc if offered).

I would assume same here in VIC give the fact that I have NEVER seen one entered in more than one. I just did a very brief skim of the VCA site but could not fine the rule, but I did not look very hard. :happydance:

hi BBJ .. this is allowable in Vic - I have seen it quite a few times over the years. Usually new exhibitors who don't realise what they're doing.

Or people who have nothing better to do with their money but spend it on entries :thumbsup:

It's ok up here because our entry fees are scaled, usually it's $15 1st entry, $12 2nd, $10 3rd and $5 there after, when you are entering 10-12 dogs it's down to $5 by the time we decide to enter the second class for our bitch. :thumbsup: (Some clubs have decided to add to their schedules second class for the same dog is a higher fee but only 1 thus far)

As Megz said, she IS NOT eligible for the Challenge, but she MAY be eligble for ResCC.

Was more making the point that the individual should check with the controlling body in their state because multiple class entries may not be allowed.

I think you'll find it's not a state control thing (in most states) it is something added to the Schedule, but it always pays to check. :)

It is clearly stated in the Tasmanian Canine Association Inc., show rules and regulations so other states may be the same. Definitely check before you double enter or you may find one entry pulled and your dog put into the Open Class no matter how old it is (as per the regulations of most states).

No, you can only enter one class per dog :provoke:

You can actually enter multiple of classes, but if you are awarded 2nd in one, you are automatically disqualified from the others as you are a second place getter.

I know one person who once entered her dog in state and open, there were 3 dogs in state and she was the only one in open, because she entered both, she had to participate in both, she got awarded 2nd in state, which meant she was already a beaten dog, and couldnt go in both.

IMO - Its a waste of money.

When it comes down to choosing if you want to enter your dog in Minor or Puppy, i go on maturity. If I have a very mature 8 month old, I may put it up to Puppy. But you must remember some dogs in puppy are almost 12 months.

CruiseNRoxy this is infact incorrect.

I have a Whippet bitch I exhibit that we frequently exhibit in Intermediate (her age class) and NT (State) Bred (means more to her owner/breeder).

We have had this come up in the past and according to the rules a dog must be judged in ALL classes it is entered in.

So for example, we had Nicky in Intermediate and she was exhibited against one other and was beaten. She is a beaten dog in the Intermediate class but has not had her shot in the State Bred class, and therefore is not a beaten dog in that class. She would then go against another bitch for State Bred and usually get first, because of the second place in another class she is not eligible for Challenge, however if the Intermediate bitch gets challenge she is eligible to contend for Res CC.

If she gets first in both of her classes and then goes onto win Challenge, both of the second place dogs return for Challenge.

For us it is worth it because we exhibit a few Whippet bitches but there is only 2 of us to handle, by doing this we knock ourselves out (unavoidable anyway) and usually have 2 left which works well for us.

If I need to clarify let me know.

Actually, the rules state that a beaten dog may not compete for the challenge so even if your bitch may win one class, if she is beaten in another she should not compete for the CC.

Thanks for clarifying Megz and Ellz, I must of misunderstood it when I was explained it a few months back.

I have a newbie question.

I was looking at entering an upcoming show for a ladies kennel club (do you actually have to join the ladies kennel club? I am a member of actca and dogsnsw) and on one show spread over a saturday and sunday, I noticed that the categories are:

Saturday:

6/12mths Sweepstakes, Working Dogs

Terriers & Non-Sporting

3/6 Sweepstakes, Toys & Hounds

Utility & Gundogs & General Specials

Sunday:

Toys & Hounds

6/12 Sweepstakes, Utility and Gundogs

3/6 Sweepstakes, Terriers & Non-Sporting

Working Dogs & General Specials

I have a 15mth old Mini Schnauzer Dog that has never been shown before (stripping him now, is main registered etc) - does this mean that I could enter either saturday utility or sunday utility or both? Is there a best place to start for the novice? I thought we would attend country shows rather than any in Sydney (we are country NSW near Canberra) to start with as I am sure we will need to learn a lot before being very competitive. Same question for Junior Handlers, if it is on both days do you just pick the most convenient? Can they do both days?

Thanks if you can help

Welcome to the Dog Show world hotdoggy!

YOu don't have to join the Ladies Kennel Club, there should be a Member's and Non-Member's rate (I think)

You can enter both shows if you want to, send in two separate entry forms for your dog.

Junior Handlers is the same, can be entered both days.

Good on you for jumping in and having a go, perhaps finding someone else (A DOL'er maybe) going to the show who can go through the basics with you, could be beneficial.

Thanks Megz,

I have now entered into our first show (thanks to your message clearing up my muddled mind), seeing as it is close, I figured I would do both the sat and sun, more practice the better. I don't mind the idea of joining the relevant kennel clubs that are hosting but wasn't sure how, but seeing as it is not necessary, then I can always just find out on the day how to join.

I mostly got into this because my 11yr old wants to do Junior Handling (she is training at Canberra). My next question now is does Emily have to have her own membership to participate in the Junior Handling comps and with shows like the Junior Kennel Club, are they normal shows, where you enter your dog by breed or group, but they are just all handled by Juniors?

Thanks so much

Thanks Megz,

I have now entered into our first show (thanks to your message clearing up my muddled mind), seeing as it is close, I figured I would do both the sat and sun, more practice the better. I don't mind the idea of joining the relevant kennel clubs that are hosting but wasn't sure how, but seeing as it is not necessary, then I can always just find out on the day how to join.

I mostly got into this because my 11yr old wants to do Junior Handling (she is training at Canberra). My next question now is does Emily have to have her own membership to participate in the Junior Handling comps and with shows like the Junior Kennel Club, are they normal shows, where you enter your dog by breed or group, but they are just all handled by Juniors?

Thanks so much

You are in NSW aren't you?? Sorry not sure cause it says QLD under your sig. The rules are different between NSW and QLD.

Here is the link to the ANKC Junior Handler Manual in the meantime - http://www.ankc.org.au/_inc/doc_download.aspx?did=155

Another newbie question here!

I'm just filling out the forms, really late, for a Utility Dog Show at the end of July... Technically Fletcher will fit into both Minor Puppy and Puppy... Do I enter him in both? Is it better to just enter him in Minor Puppy seeing as we've never done it before?

Also it says 6A and mentions a whole bunch of breeds, and then 6B "Balance of Breeds" - i assume because Samoyed's aren't mention in 6A, then he's in 6B? Do i fill this out on the forms like: "Entered in breed class nos: 6A 2, 3" and leave Special Class Nos blank, or is something supposed to go in there?

Argh! sorry for the urgency i really should have done this earlier, i can't get onto the breeder or the Utility Dog Club so i'm relying on DOLers! :thumbsup:

The division in the schedule is really just information for you. When you send off the entry, the show secretary will automatically put the breed into the correct area for the show. You are correct that if the breed isn't specifically mentioned then it goes in the "balance" of the group.

Whether you enter Minor or Puppy is up to you. Personally, I'd probably stick with Minor only. As has been discussed in this thread already, it isn't necessarily possible to enter in more than one class. You'd need to check the rules and regulations with your state controlling body as to multiple class entry. Here in Tasmania, it is not permitted.

When you fill in the entry form, you simply need to put in the class number that you are entering, although some people do put the name of the class as well, ie 2 - Minor Puppy Dog.

Leave Special Classes blank.

The division in the schedule is really just information for you. When you send off the entry, the show secretary will automatically put the breed into the correct area for the show. You are correct that if the breed isn't specifically mentioned then it goes in the "balance" of the group.

Whether you enter Minor or Puppy is up to you. Personally, I'd probably stick with Minor only. As has been discussed in this thread already, it isn't necessarily possible to enter in more than one class. You'd need to check the rules and regulations with your state controlling body as to multiple class entry. Here in Tasmania, it is not permitted.

When you fill in the entry form, you simply need to put in the class number that you are entering, although some people do put the name of the class as well, ie 2 - Minor Puppy Dog.

Leave Special Classes blank.

Thanks so much :thumbsup:

You are in NSW aren't you?? Sorry not sure cause it says QLD under your sig. The rules are different between NSW and QLD.

Here is the link to the ANKC Junior Handler Manual in the meantime - http://www.ankc.org.au/_inc/doc_download.aspx?did=155

Thanks Megz, I'll fix that, was in queensland a year ago when we started looking for a pup. Now in NSW (Yass) and close to ACT, I am just filling in a dogsnsw entry form now for a Harden show.

Yet another question - when puting in for a junior handler, do you fill out the same entry form as if you are filling it out for the dog? There doesn't seem to be anything on the slip about the handler?

And if my dog is 15mths and has never been shown, should I enter it as Junior or Novice?

I'm a little unsure of these sections:

Entered in Breed Class Nos. ________ - Is this where I put utility?

Entered in Special Class No. __________

Entered in Trial Class Type ________

Ozentries was a bit easier.

Big thanks to anyone that can help with this. XXX

I'm a little unsure of these sections:

Entered in Breed Class Nos. ________ - Is this where I put utility?

Entered in Special Class No. __________

Entered in Trial Class Type ________

Oh dear, good question! See i had it easy because it's a Utility Dog show.... If thats where you put 6, for utility, where do you enter the minor puppy/puppy/novice bit?

Hope I haven't missed something but when you fill out the form you only put in the breed class which in hotdoggys case would be 4 or Junior and in Bindii's case 2 or Minor Puppy.

In Qld we only use special class for Sweepstakes and Trail Class for Obedience only so just ignore those if you are showing. Novice is an Obedience class so not for showing.

As for Junior handlers, Im sure its the same everywhere but you don't actually enter the handler only the dog, anyone that is a member can show the dog so the junior can handle the dog.

Hope this has helped :)

Oh... Duh.. :) ellz already explained to me that they know where your breed fits into as far as Utility etc. Sorry!

I've got another question.. What makes a good handler? Was reading in General about Mary Wild the pro handler in America who left 7 dogs in the car (rip) ... had a look at her site, so people pay her to handle their dogs? How come they don't handle them? It looks pretty simple to me - you run around a few times, get your dog to listen to you and smile heaps :D

Any other tips?

Oh... Duh.. :) ellz already explained to me that they know where your breed fits into as far as Utility etc. Sorry!

I've got another question.. What makes a good handler? Was reading in General about Mary Wild the pro handler in America who left 7 dogs in the car (rip) ... had a look at her site, so people pay her to handle their dogs? How come they don't handle them? It looks pretty simple to me - you run around a few times, get your dog to listen to you and smile heaps :D

Any other tips?

In America it is actually rarer to see owner handled dogs in the ring and they actually have a class for owner handlers. Your spot on it is easy, nerve racking the first few times but you will love it. Try to be confident and you have to try to make your dog look its best. move it at a steady pace, not too fast and most importantly watch others handle their dogs and you will learn heaps. Practice stacking in front of a mirror as you can see how it looks and what works best for your dog. Don't be affraid to ask for help and tips at the show also. Also ask someone to video you showing your dog so you can see what others see and you cant.

Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who has helped me through this initial form filling stage. I am really looking forward to showing now, I only started because my daughter (Emily) wanted to do it, but now I'm feeling keen. I'm not a competitive person and personally can't pick between any of the dogs I see at the shows, they all look fantastic. I am also realistic that my little boy does not come from a long line of champions, but he will be good for us to learn on, I'm certainly learning how hard hand stripping a Mini Schnauzer is! I'm not sure how people who show lots of them do it.

Still can't see how on the entry form for an all breeds show, that the receiver will see that we are entering into the Junior Handler competition held at lunchtime, but I think I will send it off with an attached note explaining what we are doing (entering the utility session and the Junior Handler session). Thanks again to everyone here, I really appreciate your help - I see a great business opportunity for someone experienced to hire them selves out as a show handler's trainer!

Thanks all xxx

I'm going to join Hotdoggy in a thanks!

Also really excited, also have trouble picking the good from the 'bad' and have not a great idea of where Fletcher will fit in... All i know is that he's a really well behaved puppy and definitely the best i could have asked for to go through this learning stage with.

So particularly Ellz and Havahug and all other experienced posters that have added the this FAQ section for me to read through - thanks!

And Hotdoggy - Good luck and both you and Emily have fun! :hug:

Still can't see how on the entry form for an all breeds show, that the receiver will see that we are entering into the Junior Handler competition held at lunchtime, but I think I will send it off with an attached note explaining what we are doing (entering the utility session and the Junior Handler session). Thanks again to everyone here, I really appreciate your help - I see a great business opportunity for someone experienced to hire them selves out as a show handler's trainer!

Thanks all xxx

Hey Hotdoggy,

Generally for Junior Handlers there is no "official" entry. They announce at the show when Junior handlers is going to be on (usually in the lunch break) and which rings for the different age groups.

Thought I would also let you know that there is show training at EPIC in Canberra on Wednesday nights - around 7.00 - 7.30pm. This is run by experienced handlers who can show what to do in the ring.

Bear.

questions!

With regard to area kennel clubs (for example in my area - Caboolture, Beudesert, Brisbane valley, Redcliffe/Peninsular) can I only join if I reside within the area the club covers?

Do kennel clubs hold shows that are purely for members as well as shows that are open to all?

Do all area kennel clubs have facilities of thier own (either owned outright or used with council permission) where they hold shows?

What are the general benefits to joining an area kennel club and do these differ from club to club?

What are the general benefits to joining more broad kennel clubs like Ladies Kennel Association of QLD, and kennel Association of QLD?

Would I be right in thinking you do not have to join a kennel club to show, you just need to be a member of the state controlling body? (in my case Canine Control Council QlD)

questions!

With regard to area kennel clubs (for example in my area - Caboolture, Beudesert, Brisbane valley, Redcliffe/Peninsular) can I only join if I reside within the area the club covers?

No, most kennel clubs welcome members from anywhere. Numbers are numbers. Most controlling bodies require a minimum number of members for affiliation so every "bum on a seat" helps!

Do kennel clubs hold shows that are purely for members as well as shows that are open to all?

Some clubs may hold Members Competitions etc, and I cannot answer specifically about other places but I would think that entry would be open to all with probably some form of benefit for actual financial members such as entry price cuts or special classes and competitions etc.

Do all area kennel clubs have facilities of thier own (either owned outright or used with council permission) where they hold shows?

Not always. Some do (the wealthier clubs and those shows which are organised by the controlling bodies themselves such as Royal Shows etc), but many/most would use available facilities such as showgrounds, football grounds etc.

What are the general benefits to joining an area kennel club and do these differ from club to club?

This would vary very much from club to club. As with the answer above relating to members' shows etc. There are more likely to be things like entry price reductions, special classes, pointscores and of course social events organised within the clubs for fund raising etc.

What are the general benefits to joining more broad kennel clubs like Ladies Kennel Association of QLD, and kennel Association of QLD?

Would I be right in thinking you do not have to join a kennel club to show, you just need to be a member of the state controlling body? (in my case Canine Control Council QlD)

Exactly

• Troy unpinned this topic