Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I can answer the first bit because I asked that too! As long as both cheques are made out to the same person / club then it's fine (especially as they're for the same show). Sorry I can't help with the second bit but I am watching with interest.

ok, so if I am reading your answer correctly, it says cheques to xxxxx for all classes, so I can just do one cheque?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I entered Luuka in baby puppy for 2 championship shows and 1 open show all on the same weekend in the same envelope, so I just made out 1 cheque to "mackay kennel club inc". So I'm sure if you were entering her in baby puppy and sweepstakes you can put the amount on one cheque but you just need separate forms which you already said you're doing.

Other showies feel free to correct me but that's what I was told by lovely ellz (that and many, many other things!).

Okay I shall keep playing. In the fee section there's "Catalogue fee" and "Sundry fee" - is the Sundry fee the show entry fee?

No one answered this one so I will, Sundry is for anything else, I have used it for Membership in the past for example.

Two questions, I am filling in the entry forms for a show for Willow, the other entries have all been done online. I am entering her in 3-6 month S/stakes, and baby puppy. So, I am filling in two entry forms, do I need to send 2 cheques, ie. one for each entry? or Can I just do the one cheque for both?

Also, On the papers it has

Name of Exhibit: Sinaway Top Glory (LH)

Breed: Weimaraner (Long Haired)

On the form, do I need the (LH) in Name of Exhibit? I have put it in but wasn't sure if it was needed or if I could of just put Sinaway Top Glory

One cheque is fine unless stated otherwise. Take particular not of where the entries are to be sent to, if they are being sent to different people then two cheques but generally speaking Sweepies and normal classes are receipted by the one person.

As you already put the breed at the top I wouldn't expect that you need to put the (LH) after the Exhibit Name. I would expect it's just a part of the database system that denotes Long Haired again. Weird one though.

I'm going to slightly differ and say that ANYTHING that is printed on the registration certificate issued by the CC MUST be written on the entry form. This includes prefixes, affixes, titles etc.

Anything that is on the registration certificate forms an official part of the name. And the space asking for name on the entry forms specifically states "Details of the dog entered must be identical with the registration of the controlling body with whom the dog is registered."

So if the actual registration certificate says that the dogs name is "IAMA LONGHAIRED WEIMERANER (LH)" then that is what you put on the entry form in the name section.

In answer to the Sundry fee question...this would be where you would enter donations, or membership dues or anything else that isn't an entry fee or a catalogue amount.

Check your entry forms carefully if you have put anything in this because it will add that amount on top of your catalogue amount if you have entered it and in addition to your actual entry fees which you will have entered for each dog individually.

Hi,

I am entering my first show and I have a couple of questions.

There are two shows by the same club on the same day, one open and one championship. Open starts 1/2 hour before champ show.

Can I enter both?

If I have two entry forms where do I put if it's for the champ show or the open show? Or will they know from the amount I put in entry fees?

I think I have this right but please correct me if not. I have a golden in puppy, do I just put 3 or puppy dog under breed class no.s?

Thanks

Hi,

I am entering my first show and I have a couple of questions.

There are two shows by the same club on the same day, one open and one championship. Open starts 1/2 hour before champ show.

Can I enter both?

If I have two entry forms where do I put if it's for the champ show or the open show? Or will they know from the amount I put in entry fees?

I think I have this right but please correct me if not. I have a golden in puppy, do I just put 3 or puppy dog under breed class no.s?

Thanks

Yup you can enter both.

From memory there is a section in the top left of the entry form for the Name of Show.

Just put 3 for a dog or 3a for a bitch in the breed class number. ;)

Bear

CrazyDaisy not sure how different your entry forms are to WA ones but on ours above the line for the name of club, there is usually a bit that has chamionship show/open show/parade - i usually highlight or circle the one it is, IF there is more than one on the same day (like in your case). If i am entering a standalone champ show (no open show on that day) i don't bother circling it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I have a question. Willow's first show is on Saturday.... what's the general rule about food in the ring. Also, how much can you talk to them in the ring, I'm just wondering if I do the excited, "Willow lets go" etc etc with her to get her moving, will it be frowned upon? She's only just 14 weeks so she still needs a bit of encouragement.

ok, I have a question. Willow's first show is on Saturday.... what's the general rule about food in the ring. Also, how much can you talk to them in the ring, I'm just wondering if I do the excited, "Willow lets go" etc etc with her to get her moving, will it be frowned upon? She's only just 14 weeks so she still needs a bit of encouragement.

In most parts of Australia there are no strict rules about food in the ring. It is mostly a case of etiquette. Good manners decrees that you do not stuff your dogs' face full of food when the judge is attempting to go over it. And of course, the judge doesn't want to get their fingers covered in recently consumed bait when they open the dogs' mouth. Common sense should be applied. Use the bait when it is going to achieve the maximum effect.

By all means speak to Willow in the ring and to get her going, but also practice other more subtle, perhaps more sedate non-verbal cues that you can use for her as she gets older.

But at 14 weeks, I can tell you that nobody is going to frown too much on you no matter what happens in the ring. Babies are best left to be babies, they have their entire lives to learn good behaviour and showmanship!

I debuted a few babies this past weekend myself and they were really baaaaad in their first show.....and a lot better in their second. UNLESS the judge makes the mistake of speaking directly to them and then they either melt or go ballistic.

This is my 3 month old baby going ballistic when the judge said she was a good girl.... :rofl:

post-864-1268258353_thumb.jpg

But Flame had a HEAP of fun and really enjoyed herself so I have no doubt that she will be even better at her next show! :rofl:

thanks Ellz. I won't be giving her too much food. If I am not quick enough getting it out of my pocket she will sit down. It'll be more for if she stands still long enough for the judge to go over her etc, and maybe to get her going initially if she needs it. Just wanted to make sure I could use it if needed. I assume if the judge is also going over other dogs before and after her she can relax? Not play, but sit or lay down etc.

thanks Ellz. I won't be giving her too much food. If I am not quick enough getting it out of my pocket she will sit down. It'll be more for if she stands still long enough for the judge to go over her etc, and maybe to get her going initially if she needs it. Just wanted to make sure I could use it if needed. I assume if the judge is also going over other dogs before and after her she can relax? Not play, but sit or lay down etc.

You'll find that if she is in a small class, that you will have to be pretty much "on" the whole time as it will go quickly. However, if she is in a large class, or sweepstakes or something like that most judges will tell you to "relax the others" whilst they go over each of them.

It certainly isn't a bad thing to play with them in the ring, you just need to be mindful of the effect that your dog has on others in the ring at the time.

I carry a soft toy in my pocket and if I have time, I'll play with my babies....but much of the time, they're more interested in the other dogs in the ring anyway.

You'll find that if she is in a small class, that you will have to be pretty much "on" the whole time as it will go quickly. However, if she is in a large class, or sweepstakes or something like that most judges will tell you to "relax the others" whilst they go over each of them.

It certainly isn't a bad thing to play with them in the ring, you just need to be mindful of the effect that your dog has on others in the ring at the time.

I carry a soft toy in my pocket and if I have time, I'll play with my babies....but much of the time, they're more interested in the other dogs in the ring anyway.

Ok thanks. Was mainly thinking about sweepstakes as she'll be the only entry in her class this weekend, and probably for most of the time she is in her baby puppy class.... except maybe the national.

I always let my Min Pin boys play while they are waiting for their turn or hug me. I let them have fun all the time and with Clancy, he'd often jump a bit as he leave the ring when he is not required!

That is why I always found that he gets so hyper when he knows that he has a show on, as he wants to do it and does enjoy it very much!

I also have a baby who is showing for the first time tomorrow and I will be doing the same and just let him have fun and enjoy it!

That is a gorgeous pic Ellz! I love it when I see the judges treat the babies as they are, a little bundle of joy!

The day Clancy got his first BOB, he did the same, he jumped on the judge for a cuddle while he was on the table and wagging his tail! I couldn't believe I was seeing a Min Pin do that! :cool:

But I was lucky that day that the judge didn't mind him jumping on them, as I also found some that prefers them not to do it, so I always try and keep him settled on the table as he tend to go too far when the judges make a noise.

GoldenWei, in my experience and only showing since September last year with Min Pins, you can always do what you feel comfortable doing, and I'm sure as you go along, you may find you want to do different things!

I'm at the moment training a new baby Min Pin and he is very different to Clancy but now that I know what they can be like and learning so much from the breeder and other people who shows Min Pins. I do use food, but not so much now, but more of a bait to get their attention when they wander, but I am using it for my baby as he is very stubborn, toys won't work, dragging him around won't work either, so I'm left with food and will only move if I give him something! :D

------------------------------------

I also have a question, moreso a curiosity! Say your dog is 8 months, and you decided to put him/her into Junior Class. Does that mean you can't enter them in any classes below Junior anymore? (As in Puppy)

Thanks!

I also have a question, moreso a curiosity! Say your dog is 8 months, and you decided to put him/her into Junior Class. Does that mean you can't enter them in any classes below Junior anymore? (As in Puppy)

Thanks!

You can enter your dog in whichever class you want to, even if it is a "backwards" step in the schedule.

In the case of your question, yes you could enter your dog in puppy class again if it is still inside the age criteria.

Likewise if you show your puppy in puppy at some shows before it is 9 months old, you can still show it in Minor at others. We have this happen from time to time here in Tassie when a show on the Saturday might offer Minor Puppy, but the show on the Sunday doesn't so you have to enter Puppy instead. Then the following week, the next club might offer Minor again. And when my Stafford puppies go up into puppy in May, I'll be showing one in Minor (when I can) and the other in Puppy and alternate them so that they both have a chance at a fringie in the younger class.

Oh and if you show your dog in Open, State Bred or Aust Bred but it is still under 3, you can still show it in Intermediate as well.

And you can even show a puppy in Open one week and then put it back into Puppy at the next show if you want to. As long as you abide by the age criteria, there is no rule stating that you HAVE to stay in the same class every show.

Ok, I have another newbie question. This one is re property classes.

In the wei specialty show, on the notice it just says classes to be judged 1,2,3,4,5,10 & 11 (dogs and bitches). Then, it says judging commences at 9:00am with property than breed. Finally, it says entry fees $xx members, $yy Non members.

My question is, did I have to enter property classes? There was no mention on it except that it is to be judged first.... so how do I enter it, or have I missed the boat? All I entered was class 1a... for baby puppy bitch.

Ok, I have another newbie question. This one is re property classes.

In the wei specialty show, on the notice it just says classes to be judged 1,2,3,4,5,10 & 11 (dogs and bitches). Then, it says judging commences at 9:00am with property than breed. Finally, it says entry fees $xx members, $yy Non members.

My question is, did I have to enter property classes? There was no mention on it except that it is to be judged first.... so how do I enter it, or have I missed the boat? All I entered was class 1a... for baby puppy bitch.

No you don't have to enter the property classes. Usually these classes are things like best head, best brace, best movement etc. Also usually they are listed out somewhere on the schedule so you know which property classes are available to enter.

I'm guessing with a baby there wouldn't be any property classes for you to enter - unless of course they have cutest face. :thumbsup:

Good luckk at the specialty and remember to have fun. :thumbsup:

Hey guys I have a question.. I decided not to show Luuka in Mackay this weekend past because she had tender mouth still from having some teeth out but I didn't notify the show co-ordinators (I was advised that I didn't have to).

However, I just realised that I did not receive numbers or a catalogue or anything. That's a bit strange isn't it? I paid my entry fees... :thumbsup:

• Troy unpinned this topic