Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Hey guys I have a question.. I decided not to show Luuka in Mackay this weekend past because she had tender mouth still from having some teeth out but I didn't notify the show co-ordinators (I was advised that I didn't have to).

However, I just realised that I did not receive numbers or a catalogue or anything. That's a bit strange isn't it? I paid my entry fees... :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure in QLD you pick up your numbers and catalogue when you get to the show.

In NSW/ACT numbers are posted out before the show (usually you'll get your numbers the week of the show) and if you have paid for a catalogue you pick it up from the show secretaries tent on the day.

In VIC numbers are supposed to be posted out two weeks before the show. I'm guessing there are very few late entries in Victorian shows. :thumbsup:

Don't know about other States and Territories.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aaaahhhhh well that's where I was confused. No problem then :thumbsup:

Have no time to show until the 24th of April :thumbsup: Doing the next weekend too. Luuka will be juuuust over 6 months on the 24th of April so I enter her in Puppy class then don't I?

Hey guys I have a question.. I decided not to show Luuka in Mackay this weekend past because she had tender mouth still from having some teeth out but I didn't notify the show co-ordinators (I was advised that I didn't have to).

However, I just realised that I did not receive numbers or a catalogue or anything. That's a bit strange isn't it? I paid my entry fees... :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure in QLD you pick up your numbers and catalogue when you get to the show.

In NSW/ACT numbers are posted out before the show (usually you'll get your numbers the week of the show) and if you have paid for a catalogue you pick it up from the show secretaries tent on the day.

In VIC numbers are supposed to be posted out two weeks before the show. I'm guessing there are very few late entries in Victorian shows. :thumbsup:

Don't know about other States and Territories.

Tasmania is compulsory to send a SSAE and the numbers and breed lists are SUPPOSED to be in the exhibitors hands 7 days prior to the show. Catalogues CAN be pre-ordered (although a limited number are usually available for sale on the day) but are always picked up at the show.

Awesome thanks that is totally fine then, I was a bit worried!

Hmm, if a show isn't showing up in the list on showmanager.com.au can I manually enter it? I hope that means it's still on ...

Yes but you will probably have to enter the show details yourself.

I asked Jeremy (the site owner) about this myself and this is the reply that I got from him.

<paste>All Events in the community are actually added by users, the idea to keep the costs low is that everyone add's events as they need them then they are there ready for the next person.<end paste>

Ok, I have another newbie question. This one is re property classes.

In the wei specialty show, on the notice it just says classes to be judged 1,2,3,4,5,10 & 11 (dogs and bitches). Then, it says judging commences at 9:00am with property than breed. Finally, it says entry fees $xx members, $yy Non members.

My question is, did I have to enter property classes? There was no mention on it except that it is to be judged first.... so how do I enter it, or have I missed the boat? All I entered was class 1a... for baby puppy bitch.

No you don't have to enter the property classes. Usually these classes are things like best head, best brace, best movement etc. Also usually they are listed out somewhere on the schedule so you know which property classes are available to enter.

I'm guessing with a baby there wouldn't be any property classes for you to enter - unless of course they have cutest face. :thumbsup:

Good luckk at the specialty and remember to have fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks, hopefully there will be a few more long hairs there then just Willow. Yeah, that's the other thing, I wasn't sure if baby puppy's could enter the property classes... guess it would make sense if they couldn't.

Ok, I have another newbie question. This one is re property classes.

In the wei specialty show, on the notice it just says classes to be judged 1,2,3,4,5,10 & 11 (dogs and bitches). Then, it says judging commences at 9:00am with property than breed. Finally, it says entry fees $xx members, $yy Non members.

My question is, did I have to enter property classes? There was no mention on it except that it is to be judged first.... so how do I enter it, or have I missed the boat? All I entered was class 1a... for baby puppy bitch.

No you don't have to enter the property classes. Usually these classes are things like best head, best brace, best movement etc. Also usually they are listed out somewhere on the schedule so you know which property classes are available to enter.

I'm guessing with a baby there wouldn't be any property classes for you to enter - unless of course they have cutest face. :thumbsup:

Good luckk at the specialty and remember to have fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks, hopefully there will be a few more long hairs there then just Willow. Yeah, that's the other thing, I wasn't sure if baby puppy's could enter the property classes... guess it would make sense if they couldn't.

I don't think anything under 6 months can be entered into any of the property classes except for Sire or Dam's Progeny classes.

Ok a question, in the group ring Chessies are first up and we have the Am Cockers and Cockers behind, so smaller dogs. Now I did the 'Are you ready" thing to make sure the person behind was ok for me to move off and the judge wanted us all around togther. Now I decided to move Lincoln just about as slow as I could get away with so I didn't shoot out way infront of the Cockers (which I still did), but I am asking what should I do in these circumstances?

Here is a video of last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aXuWq6lFhU

Ok a question, in the group ring Chessies are first up and we have the Am Cockers and Cockers behind, so smaller dogs. Now I did the 'Are you ready" thing to make sure the person behind was ok for me to move off and the judge wanted us all around togther. Now I decided to move Lincoln just about as slow as I could get away with so I didn't shoot out way infront of the Cockers (which I still did), but I am asking what should I do in these circumstances?

Absolutely nothing! Once everybody is ready, then you don't worry about what they are doing, you show your own dog at the pace at which he moves the best, even if that means leaving the others behind. This is especially the case when you are the first dog in the lineup. You want the judge to see your dog moving at his best from the "get-go" because this will probably be one of your best opportunities to impress, especially in the class in group judging where you may not get another opportunity to move your dog out.

May I make one small suggestion? Don't wear dark pants behind Lincoln, especially at night. You do tend to lose the dog a bit.

Also, try to keep his attention from the minute you are in the ring entrance. When they drop their heads at the very last minute, you tend to then spend a few valuable steps trying to get their attention back and rearrange leads, necks, ears etc which can put you at a disadvantage when the judge is looking at you first as you come into the ring.

Absolutely nothing! Once everybody is ready, then you don't worry about what they are doing, you show your own dog at the pace at which he moves the best, even if that means leaving the others behind. This is especially the case when you are the first dog in the lineup. You want the judge to see your dog moving at his best from the "get-go" because this will probably be one of your best opportunities to impress, especially in the class in group judging where you may not get another opportunity to move your dog out.

May I make one small suggestion? Don't wear dark pants behind Lincoln, especially at night. You do tend to lose the dog a bit.

Also, try to keep his attention from the minute you are in the ring entrance. When they drop their heads at the very last minute, you tend to then spend a few valuable steps trying to get their attention back and rearrange leads, necks, ears etc which can put you at a disadvantage when the judge is looking at you first as you come into the ring.

That is awesome advice for me as well thanks ellz, I am working on "watch" with Luuka and she is going really well with it but it's very different when there are other doggies around that's for sure.

Since Luuka is predominantly black with some tan and some white, I was thinking I'd wear cream pants/top? Would that suit? I'm hopeless I only ever wear black and red and purple! I definitely shouldn't wear black pants right?

Also, does it matter if I enter Minor Puppy or Puppy? I could enter either but would I be better entering one or the other?

Also, does it matter if I enter Minor Puppy or Puppy? I could enter either but would I be better entering one or the other?

Depends on your dog. Remember if you are just coming out of Baby the dogs in Puppy are going to be a fair bit older than yours. Depending on the breed this can work for you or against you. :thumbsup:

So if I enter Minor Puppy, there will be a 9 month age limit but if I enter Puppy they could be up to 12 months? I've entered Minor especially seeing as her first show will be over 6 months of age, a bit annoyed at myself for not getting my act together actually but some things can't be helped...

Fran, my advice would be that whilst you are only showing one dog, show it in the age class that it is eligible for. I would advise any newbie starting out to do this. It can get confusing if you start chopping and changing classes and it is a lot of fun to trace a youngster from the first time in Baby, thru Minor, Puppy, Junior etc.

So if I enter Minor Puppy, there will be a 9 month age limit but if I enter Puppy they could be up to 12 months? I've entered Minor especially seeing as her first show will be over 6 months of age, a bit annoyed at myself for not getting my act together actually but some things can't be helped...

Yes, Minor is 6 - 9 months and Puppy is 6 - 12 months. I'm going to find it useful when my two Terrorists are older to be able to put one in Minor at some shows and the other in Puppy, but under normal circumstances I'd follow my own advice and stick to the appropriate age classes.

And of course, one of the main reasons for these classes is to give dogs at a similar age and possibly stage of development a more level playing field. This doesn't always apply...some mature more quickly than others and some of the coated breeds are at a disadvantage under some judges but it is helpful for the judge if the Steward can say "and this is your Minor Puppy In Group lineup" to the judge and the judge then knows that each puppy is aged between the 6 - 9 month bracket. Whereas, a State Bred, Aust Bred or Open can contain dogs of ANY age from 6 months upwards so can be a bit more competitive and difficult for a younger dog to crack. It CAN be done, HAS been done, but is more difficult, especially if you're not a seasoned exhibitor and cannot get the best from your dog IYKWIM.

Thanks for the suggestions Ellz!

I totally forgot about the clothes and just went in what I had been in at work. ;) But next show I will make an effort to wear grey.

Thats reassuring about the speed!

:thumbsup: It can get pretty interesting when it comes to clothing, especially if you're showing more than one dog and they're all different colours! :thumbsup:

I must confess that I do break my own rules and tend to stick to a black bottom half, either skirt or tailored pants. But I ALWAYS wear something light coloured on top. I find when I'm handing the Americans that having a little bit of black below them when they're stacked on the ground can help to fill in their outline a bit, especially when they're at the awful gangly, legs n wings stage and having something light on top shows off their topline and this is especially the case when they're on the table. And on the move, unless they're a leg-hugger, generally they move out so the black behind them isn't always so bad. And for the Staffords, the only time they are near my legs is occasionally on the move and when stacked I'm never usually directly behind them anyway...Staffords are stacked 3/4 on to the judge and I find I have better control if I'm at the dog's shoulder which puts me to the side of it anyway. But again, the light coloure top applies.

For example.....light dog...dark suit

post-864-1268614374_thumb.jpg

Dark dog....light suit

post-864-1268614454_thumb.jpg

And THIS one was a real challenge......I was 7 months pregnant at the time and showing a light dog AND a dark dog!! :thanks:

post-864-1268614522_thumb.jpg

• Troy unpinned this topic