Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Its been ages (eeek! like a decade) since I showed a couple of adult SBT's and I'm planning on showing my new ACD pup.

I have filled out what seems like a zillion agility entry forms so all that I'm ok with, but what is expected in the baby puppy class? Behaviour and training wise? A friend did well with her baby Chow and she just went in the ring and followed the crowd. Zero preparation at home with training etc (he was leash trained, that was about it)

Is it really that relaxed?

Firstly, let me say, it is very difficult to beat a baby Chow. They are very laid back and are sooooooo cute. But in saying that, baby puppy class is all about having FUN!!! You want your puppy to have a long show life and not be a robot, who after a few shows, is just OVER it. So try and make it fun for both of you.

Always remember, we're here for a good time, not a long time...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you receive a challenge certificate what do you do with it?

Keep it somewhere safe.

When they total 100 points (and assuming enough of then have come after the dog has turned twelve months) you will need to provide them and enter all of their details onto a form to have the dog's Champion title issued. And then the Grand Champion when/if you get to 1000 (plus 4 BIG or a BIS).

• 3 weeks later...

Another Newbie question....

I have just got my first main registered Border Collie and am going to give the show ring a try.

I am going to have a look at the next show held on the 2nd April to see how things run. But as I am in Darwin and there aren't many Border Collies shown here, can someone help me with what lead/clothing etc I should be using with him?

Also when do you know your pup is ready for his first show? The breeder has been stacking him and he is good at it but because she is in NSW and I have never stacked a dog before in my life he wont do it well for me. How long does he need to stay stacked for??

I thank you in advance for any help

Hi there DB

Clothing is generally neat and tidy... men usually wear dress pants and a shirt - women wear dress pants or a skirt with a nice shirt or top. Some people go the full suit outfit, but it just depends. i really dress up in a suit for the bigger shows but I always try to look neatly dressed and well presented. if you have a b&W border collie, any colour except black or white will do. I show a dark grey and white dog and I find reds and pinks look great against him. most pastels look great too as well as some of the brighter colours. it really depends what you are comfortable with. Be aware if you wear darker colours the white hairs will stand out on your clothing!! If you want some more ideas, have a look at some profiles on DOL and you'll see what the handlers are wearing if they are in the background.

Comfortable shoes to run in are a must. No thongs/sandals, spike shoes, or barefeet!! they have some quite nice shoes around most shops now, which are flat and have sneaker like base, are easy to run in but aren't sneakers. They usually look quite nice with dress pants or skirts and there is quite a good range of colours. I picked up my latest pair at Rivers :eat:

As for leads - I have no idea where you can buy them from in NT, but you can order them online, or perhaps ask if your breeder can pick one up for you that compliments a BC and send it to you? Not sure what leads BCs have, but my fluffy showdog has a coatsaver chain and a white lead. Some people match their leads to their dogs, others to their clothing, and the show leads come in a large range of colours and styles. There is also the plain slip lead and the matingale styles.

It's a hard call tomake, knowing when a pup is ready for their first show. most judges allow for some puppy mayhem in the ring and sometimes it can be good to get them used to it and see it's a good and fun thing to be in the ring. Other pups might not benefit from being in the ring at a young age, and if they get a fright or a negative experience, it can be the end of their show career or at least, a lot more work to make it all postiive for them again. As for stacking - well if they move around a little as pups again judges don't mind...

Not sure if NT has show handling classes, but perhaps you can find out if there are any classes you can attend to help you learn the ropes.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone explain to me how the challenge system works. The way i understand it is : you go through all the dog classes first and at the end you have a challenge dog. Then you repeat this with the bitches and have a challenge bitch. The challenge dog and bitch compete for BOB. THen the BOB leaves the ring. The runner up from the class of the losing dog comes into the ring and competes against the dog that is still in the ring for RUBOB. Is this right? Does RUBOB get points as well?

can someone explain to me how the challenge system works. The way i understand it is : you go through all the dog classes first and at the end you have a challenge dog. Then you repeat this with the bitches and have a challenge bitch. The challenge dog and bitch compete for BOB. THen the BOB leaves the ring. The runner up from the class of the losing dog comes into the ring and competes against the dog that is still in the ring for RUBOB. Is this right? Does RUBOB get points as well?

Almost, not quite...

After BOB is judge the Reserve Challenge winner of that sex returns to the ring to compete for RUBOB, now that dog may not necessarily have placed 2nd in the class that the CC winner came from (it could have come from another class being the winner).

No points for RUBOB, only the CC winners get points and of course BOB winner takes a point for each of the opposite sex beaten.

Almost, not quite...

After BOB is judge the Reserve Challenge winner of that sex returns to the ring to compete for RUBOB, now that dog may not necessarily have placed 2nd in the class that the CC winner came from (it could have come from another class being the winner).

No points for RUBOB, only the CC winners get points and of course BOB winner takes a point for each of the opposite sex beaten.

Ok thanks Aziah. Actually i thought the BOB gets a point for each dog it beats that is eligible for a CC (regardless of the sex)?

Almost, not quite...

Ok thanks Aziah. Actually i thought the BOB gets a point for each dog it beats that is eligible for a CC (regardless of the sex)?

Yes, but say for example the dog won the CC, he gets points for all eligible dogs beaten.

If that CC dog goes on to beat the CC bitch for BOB, he then gets points for all eligible bitches. So basically what Aziah was trying to say.

Cheers Mel. So im entering my bitch in baby puppy. What do I put in the section - entered in breed class no:

And there is a section for special class no as well. Not sure if i need to fill that section.

And there is a section for height at shoulder, do i really need to fill this bit in?

Edited by ncarter

ncarter you don't need to fill in the special class or height at shoulder. For breed class Number for Baby is 1 and because it's a bitch you put in 1A.

if you have an official entry form, the class numbers are on the back with the ages.

ok cheers Sparkytansy. Another question. I have taught my dog to stand and when she does this she looks at me. But when you have your dog on the table and you are stacking it the dog is meant to look forward right? I cant have her turning her head toward me all the time? Even when we go around in a circle and she has her head up she is looking towards me more than straight ahead. What should I do about this?

ncarter thats a tough one. You could try clicker training to break the habit - if she looks forward click and treat. The problem with dogs looking up is that their gait can sometimes be compromised.

you may also want to consider some show training classes...

ok cheers Sparkytansy. Another question. I have taught my dog to stand and when she does this she looks at me. But when you have your dog on the table and you are stacking it the dog is meant to look forward right?

When she is on the table and the judge is approaching stand at the front of the table just to the side so the judge comes up and get a clear view of her head. Then when the judge is really close, you step back to the side of the table, by now the judge should have her head in his hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Ihave a quick question- dont have time to read the whole thread!

:(

To handle a dog at a show do you need to be a member of say Dogs NSW? I am with a kennel club but just wanted to know if I needed to register with Dogs NSW beforehand? Thinking of getting into showing and my breeder has kindly offered to let me handle some of her dogs to see if I enjoy it!

Ihave a quick question- dont have time to read the whole thread!

:confused:

To handle a dog at a show do you need to be a member of say Dogs NSW? I am with a kennel club but just wanted to know if I needed to register with Dogs NSW beforehand? Thinking of getting into showing and my breeder has kindly offered to let me handle some of her dogs to see if I enjoy it!

From Dogs NSW regs.

(a)A person shall not enter or exhibit or handle a dog at a recognised Show unless such

person is a member of RNSWCC trading as Dogs NSW, except in the case of an entry

accepted for; (10/10)

(i) a general class from a person resident outside the State or from a child

under the age of 12 years, or

(ii) a junior judging competition from a person under the age of 17 years;

(b) (i) a person who has not attained 17 years of age may handle a dog

(owned by a Member other than a Junior Member) at a recognised

show providing that at all times that person has, in the opinion of the

judge, adequate control of the dog.

(ii)a handler referred to in (i) shall strictly comply with all directions of

the judge of the class in which the dog is being exhibited.

(iii) the owner of a dog handled by a person referred to in (i) shall at all

times be responsible for ensuring that the handler always has adequate

control of the dog.

• Troy unpinned this topic