Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I will probably come to Canberra for at least one of the days, if not both. If I do only turn up on one day would it make any difference which day I went to? Eridor I will definitely look you up :D and hopefully will be able to meet some other DOLers too!

PF I will keep my eyes open for the Goulburn shows, it will depend on what shifts I am working though as to whether I will be able to attend. Would love to meet Howie :)

I would like to learn more about showing to see if it is something I would like to try. Not right now, as I work most weekends, but hopefully within a few years I will be able to change my job and then it may be a possibility :)

Don't forget there are shows at EPIC this weekend too!

Being a dog show tragic I have the dates with me. 24-26 October inclusive and 30 Oct to 1 November. :)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will probably come to Canberra for at least one of the days, if not both. If I do only turn up on one day would it make any difference which day I went to? Eridor I will definitely look you up ;) and hopefully will be able to meet some other DOLers too!

PF I will keep my eyes open for the Goulburn shows, it will depend on what shifts I am working though as to whether I will be able to attend. Would love to meet Howie ;)

I would like to learn more about showing to see if it is something I would like to try. Not right now, as I work most weekends, but hopefully within a few years I will be able to change my job and then it may be a possibility :worship:

Don't forget there are shows at EPIC this weekend too!

Being a dog show tragic I have the dates with me. 24-26 October inclusive and 30 Oct to 1 November. :worship:

I'll hopefully be coming down for the Goulburn shows! And doing Berrima too :)

The 2nd day is another show.

Iv'e never known an all breeds show to run over 2 days.

Only a few specialties do that.

As Ellz said it happens in other states - it happens a lot in WA... in fact we have more shows spread over two days than we do double header shows... and it really does suck having to go back on the second day - especially with an OES!

The 2nd day is another show.

Iv'e never known an all breeds show to run over 2 days.

That may be the case in Victoria, but it happens here in Tasmania.

For example, the Burnie Ag Show this year has Groups 2, 3 and 5 scheduled for Friday and the balance with Specials on the Saturday.

How bizzare. Would be ok if you sucked the first day as you would not have to go back. :)

But if you won the first day you have to go back for the 2nd day.

Sway - same thing for some of our Ag shows in NSW :rofl: At my local Ag show earlier this year the groups were split between 3 days (Thursday/Friday/Saturday)

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing for newbies is if you do get awarded best dog/bitch (female dog that is)or Best Of Breed, be sure to pick up your challenge certificates (usually at the Secretaries office) before you leave the show and check they have the right names (yours and the dogs) and the judges signature. Many clubs will not mail them out if you forget to pick them up.

Also if you get a class in group or a best in group, in some states they hold your certificates until you have competed for in show. So if your dog is in group 4 and you get Best In Group they hold your challenge cert. until you have competed for best in show. If you get puppy in group they can also hold the certificate until you have competed for puppy in show.

A show we were at recently an exhibit won best in group but did not stay for best in show. So the steward called them absent and notified all present that the state council will be informed and that person lost their points. They can be hard enough to get without throwing them away.

Edited by yarracully

YC i can understand why they hold your cert for BIG if you have to compete for BIS, but i don't see how or why they can hold your cert if you get a puppy in group waiting for a puppy in show, regardless of whether you got the BOB as puppy in group/show isn't eligible for points...

YC i can understand why they hold your cert for BIG if you have to compete for BIS, but i don't see how or why they can hold your cert if you get a puppy in group waiting for a puppy in show, regardless of whether you got the BOB as puppy in group/show isn't eligible for points...

They do if you have one points in some states

Hi everyone,

I am still very new to showing (have my 3rd show coming up - and 4th & 5th on the same weekend!). My question is about the etiquette of setting up a gazebo.

My pup is entered in the Friday evening show at Hillsborough, then the Saturday evening and the Sunday morning. I have 3 small children that I will have to keep close by during Saturday and Sunday as my husband is busy elsewhere. My question is: Is it okay to set up my gazebo early Friday (ringside, if possible) and then leave it there until Saturday afternoon/Sunday??? If you are going to be there for most/all of the shows over a multi-show weekend do you leave your gazebo up, or is it okay to just leave a tarp/mat on your spot, or is this considered rude/will it be moved? I really need to have my kids in sight if at all possible so would be willing to go in very early Friday to get a good spot.

Can someone please let me know what is the "done thing" in this situation? Is someone likely to steal your gazebo if you leave it set up?

Thanks!

Deb :laugh:

They do if you have one points in some states

I might point out that when this has happened to us (A few times in the last few years) it had usually been with a challenge attached. However if we get best of breed and puppy in breed, then go on to get puppy in group (but not BIG or RUBIG- as happened when we went into a particular state earlier this year) they have held the group cert back until we have gone in for Puppy in show. (This occurs in one state where they do give Certs for class in group even though there are no points).

Actually I only know of one state that gives certs for class in group. Does anyone else know of a state that gives certs for class in group?

Hi everybody, can anyone help me as I have 2 questions about the Royal Melb show benches

1) does anyone know the the benche sizes, height of the sides, lenght (down the sides, across the back)

my other question is 2) are the toy breed dogs tied to the benches or are they put in cages :o

The Ark - you will have to check the rules for the grounds... in my state it is appropriate to leave your gazebo up if you are showing all three days over the weekend, but our grounds are locked andsecure at night. I think sometimes, though, we are warned that the reticulation will come on and so not to leave Tarps on the ground. I don't have a gazebo though so i am not 100% on this rule and it may vary from state to state.

Perhaps ring the show secretary?

• 2 weeks later...
Wasn't quite sure where to put this questions but I didn't think it deserved a thread of its own :)

How long on average would you expect a breed society (smallish) to approve a new membership :rofl::rofl:

It would probably depend upon how often they meet and have a full chorum to approve memberships. If you have any concerns, perhaps contact the secretary of the club and enquire as to the status of the application?

Wasn't quite sure where to put this questions but I didn't think it deserved a thread of its own :)

How long on average would you expect a breed society (smallish) to approve a new membership :rofl::rofl:

It would probably depend upon how often they meet and have a full chorum to approve memberships. If you have any concerns, perhaps contact the secretary of the club and enquire as to the status of the application?

I have contacted the secretary on two occasions, the first time I was told that it would be checked and that a newsletter would be forwarded to me ASAP and the second time I was ignored :D

Can I ask what a full chorum is :) Sorry newbie with no idea.

I know with DogsVic I think my membership was approved and everything back to me in 3 weeks which I though was great considering they probably have thousands of members and with another breed club only two weeks.

Maybe I am just being impatient :thumbsup:

I have contacted the secretary on two occasions, the first time I was told that it would be checked and that a newsletter would be forwarded to me ASAP and the second time I was ignored :D

Can I ask what a full chorum is :) Sorry newbie with no idea.

I know with DogsVic I think my membership was approved and everything back to me in 3 weeks which I though was great considering they probably have thousands of members and with another breed club only two weeks.

Maybe I am just being impatient :thumbsup:

By a full chorum I mean that they may need to have a particular number of committee members at a meeting to approve (or deny) memberships.

Perhaps give the secretary a ring and then you cannot be ignored.

• 2 months later...

As a new exhibitor I'm sure you will hear someone saying well angulated = 45 degrees is the angle of a well laid back shoulder or 90 degrees angle of scapula to upper arm. Many people nowadays agree that 45 degree shoulder angulation is a myth even on the most well angulated dog.

Edited by nynka

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I have been through this whole thread and it has been incredibly interesting and informative! I have a couple of questions, mostly though I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to get Atlas to stack on command?

He is pretty good at 'stand/stay' (not perfect but pretty good) but how do I get him to stand properly? Just physically correct him each time so he's stacking properly and hope he picks it up at some point? Use the clicker when he's doing it correctly? We are in the shaping phase of clicker training right now... wait should I be asking this in the training forum? If so, sorry :D

Okay I have been through this whole thread and it has been incredibly interesting and informative! I have a couple of questions, mostly though I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to get Atlas to stack on command?

He is pretty good at 'stand/stay' (not perfect but pretty good) but how do I get him to stand properly? Just physically correct him each time so he's stacking properly and hope he picks it up at some point? Use the clicker when he's doing it correctly? We are in the shaping phase of clicker training right now... wait should I be asking this in the training forum? If so, sorry :D

Initially I was putting her in the stack and then saying "stand." Then when she started doing it herself I rewarded and praised reinforcing the stand cue.

She picked it up fairly quickly. "If I do this when Bear says stand I get a treat." :shrug:

These days I very rarely fix her in the stack.

Bear.

• Troy unpinned this topic