Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also I was wondering if I can go to showing lessons with a dog I don't plan to show to learn the 'ropes'so I have seen/done a little before the puppy arrives. (i.e borrow my friends 9yo Lab, so I have a pure bred dog to take and it won't matter he is nutered)

Is a dog 6 months at 24 weeks or 6 months (i.e a pup born Jan 1st is 6 months on July 1st or 24 weeks later on June 18)? I know it sounds stupid but I am just working out which show I can enter my future pup in first.

6 months by the date of the month, so your first example - born Jan 1st is 6 months on July 1st :o

As for your second question about show training... i guess that it would be best to ask the show trainer! I know the trainer that i have gone to a few times said it would be good to practice with Hugo (not shown) so as to not bore Fletcher and save him for the show ring, but still be able to get a practice in myself. I must say though, starting out, it was at times tricky, but really really great learning along with my puppy. He was clever and very switched on, he picked it up faster than i did! It was a great way to bond with him.

• 1 month later...

What do I do if I'm entering my baby puppy under the breeders name in the section calling for a signature - Do I just put my signature?? Thanks!

Also, will it say in the ad if there is a neuter class? I'd like to enter Berri in a few just for fun :confused:

And whose member number do I put? I have one form that the breeder filled in for me to copy, but the rest are blank. The breeder is 5 hours away so I can't get her to sign it!

ETA One more quick question, I do a seperate entry for sweepstakes, but where do I write it in? Where I normally write the breed class, or next to where it says special class, or somewhere else?

Edited by Jeanne

And whose member number do I put? I have one form that the breeder filled in for me to copy, but the rest are blank. The breeder is 5 hours away so I can't get her to sign it!

ETA One more quick question, I do a seperate entry for sweepstakes, but where do I write it in? Where I normally write the breed class, or next to where it says special class, or somewhere else?

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, I just sign the form "per (my signature)" in the signature spot, and put the breeder's name & member number.

For sweepstakes I usually put it in the "special class" spot - just as "3-6 month s/stakes" or similar.

Deb :rofl:

What do I do if I'm entering my baby puppy under the breeders name in the section calling for a signature - Do I just put my signature?? Thanks!

Also, will it say in the ad if there is a neuter class? I'd like to enter Berri in a few just for fun :laugh:

Jeanne to answer your other question - yes it will say on the schedule if there is a class for Neuter... however (and sorry if you know this but you might not)Berri must be on main registration papers to enter.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find out the dates of the upcoming shows? The CCCQ site only has up to the end of January shows :D

I need to join up, sigh, more money!

Oh may I also say for the record that the CCCQ website is the single worst website I've ever seen? :eek:

Edited by FranCQ

Does anyone know where I can find out the dates of the upcoming shows? The CCCQ site only has up to the end of January shows :D

I need to join up, sigh, more money!

Oh may I also say for the record that the CCCQ website is the single worst website I've ever seen? :eek:

Ask melissa - she will have some dates - she'll probably love to have an update on Luuka too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie question here

Are you allowed to have multiple handler for a show dog... Was just thinking if I handled a dog in the ring and for whatever reason he had to come back to the ring but I couldn't take him would someone else be able to?

--Lhok

Newbie question here

Are you allowed to have multiple handler for a show dog... Was just thinking if I handled a dog in the ring and for whatever reason he had to come back to the ring but I couldn't take him would someone else be able to?

--Lhok

Absolutely.

Many of us show more than one dog in each breed. More often than not I will handle each of my dogs in their classes and then hand them off to other people for Challenge or Best of Breed etc.

keep in season bitches in your gazebo, umbrella tent etc in a crate. Toilet her well away from the rings. Tell people near you that your bitch is in season so they can also keep their dogs away from yours. Do not saunter around the show with your bitch in tow.

Please, leave in season bitches at home.

Another newbie question

Are there different ways certain breeds need to be stacked in the show ring and how do you know/find out what one is for the breed you have chosen?

--Lhok

Yup, although some of the differences can be subtle. For example with Afghans you usually hold the tail, whereas for Saluki you don't.

Best way to learn how to stack your particular breed is to either talk to your breeder and get them to show you, go to show classes, or go to shows and watch. :)

Bear.

Another newbie question

Are there different ways certain breeds need to be stacked in the show ring and how do you know/find out what one is for the breed you have chosen?

--Lhok

Yup, although some of the differences can be subtle. For example with Afghans you usually hold the tail, whereas for Saluki you don't.

Best way to learn how to stack your particular breed is to either talk to your breeder and get them to show you, go to show classes, or go to shows and watch. :birthday:

Bear.

Is that to stop the Affies from jumping all over the judge and other exhibitors? :)

• Troy unpinned this topic