Skin + Weight Advise

Hello

My Dobe, Ziggy is having a bit of a skin/fur freak out and a weight issue.

First the skin thing.

Her fur gets very thin in patches then recovers and her skin is really dry.

I've been adding an Omega 3 Supplement to her food but hasn't really made a difference and also washing her with aloveen and conditioning too. Her coat in general looks great but when you look properly you can see it's quite thin.

Now the weight thing.

I got Zig as a rescure and she was extreamly underweight. Although she has put on alot she has come to a stand still and I'd like to get just 1 or 2 more kg on her, it is really hard to keep the weight that she has gained on her. She eats about 2x what my Weim eats and they're both 2.5 years old. I get extra fatty meat for Zig (lamb etc.) If I fed my other dogs like I feed her they would be blimps.

Her Diet consists of

Lamb Breast

Chicken frames

Minced Chicken, lamb or beef.

Minced veges

Sardines

Kelp

yoghurt

and Omega 3 Supp

It's almost like she doesn't absorb any of the fat could this be a thyroid thing? I'm going to the vet with her on friday but any other suggestions or questions I should ask my vet would be most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by Gigi

Hi I have the same problem with my ex rescue below. She eats as much as my dogs 3 times her body weight.

It can be a problem to get them to the correct weight if they are like Lillie and real :rofl::rofl:

I give her puppy food and little extra fat, sardines some of the oil.

For her coat I mix up Alpha Keri Oil as per the bottle and use as a final rinse. This was suggested on this forum and it works a treat.

I have also been told because she lost a lot of fur when she was starving it could take years for all the hair folicles to recover and start growning hair again.

You are doing the best you can Gigi and slowly continue that way.

post-22-1100046610.jpg

I would definitely ask your vet about thyroid problems in your dog. I'm not a dobe expert but a friend with one says thyroid problems are common in the breed and her boy had skin and weight issues before being diagnosed (by a vet who breeds dobes).

Alpha Keri is available from the Chemist.

It was for Gozilla with his dry itch skin it worked, I rinsed all the dogs with it and it has made :rofl: Lillies skin less dry and flaky and her fur so shiny.

I spent a lot of money checking her blood for thyroid and other complaints but it seems here it is a case of be patient she may not be wearing the ladybird clips in her hair this Christmas but next christmas it could be another story.

This one never gets a stomach either, even if her legs were hollow they are too thin to contain all the food she eats in a day. :rofl:

two meals and countless snacks a day.

My others would kill to get half of what she gets.

post-22-1100053860.jpg

Hi Gigi

I had a rescue poodle once - badly neglected - never did get to full weight, always on the "light" side - but was healthy, happy and active - and lived a long life as well. Benefit with the poodle - hair covers all ills!

How much does your dobe weigh? Some would think mine was a bit underfed, but she is actually in excellent working condition. A lot of dobes are, in fact, overfed.

Over all, you seem to be doing the best you can - don't be too worried, specially if she is healthy and active - that is what is important. Nature will take care of the rest in due course. All our dogs need patience - one way or another, it seems ;)

The sardines seemed to react with mine - did not agree with her at all - don't quite know why - but if you are experimenting, perhaps they could be discontinued for a while to see if it makes a difference.

I have also found that, although some recommedations indicate that dobes need fat, I think it can be a bit overdone - there may not be a need for extra fat - for example, maybe she is still catching up on a protein or other deficiency which fat will not help. I would be cautious about increasing the fat content - too much may be counterproductive. I have actually stopped giving mine lamb breasts - she doesn't even need that fat - so I would guess yours is probably getting as much as she can reasonably handle as is.

Having suggested all above - I do agree with vet check - could be lots of other possibilities. :mad

cheers and good luck

I would definitely ask your vet about thyroid problems in your dog. I'm not a dobe expert but a friend with one says thyroid problems are common in the breed and her boy had skin and weight issues before being diagnosed (by a vet who breeds dobes).

I agree. Certainly sounds like thyroid problems. A T4 serum test is in order I think.

Hi guys, I have found a fantastic new product that works on the whole muscular skeletal system and also has a fantastic effect on the skin and coat..

Gelatinaat is the product name I have info on my website or if you want to know more let me know... I have a dog that used to have what I called GT stripes down his back from itch... He is now mainly Raw fed and has no dried dog biscuits at all (the preservatives were causing the allergy) he is taking Gelatinaat for his arthritis, but I have seen a great improvement in his coat, and in those of my sisters Bernese and my massage clients also... it reduces inflammation.

Any way just another thought for you..

www.dogeaze-canine-massage.com

julie

Well owing to laziness I found something that put weight on Lillie (unfortunately all the others as well)

Natures Gift dog food - mind you when you put the can in the fridge and it cools the amount of fat is scary :thumbsup:

She has started scratching and I wonder if it relates to the food so back to BARF.

post-22-1100744585.jpg

I had a dog that suffered chronic pancreatitis and had problems with her coat and weight because of this. One thing that tipped the vet off to her problem was the grey and greasy nature of her movements.

Taking a feaces sample with you when you visit with the vet might be advisable as there are many problems that it could be and a lot can be screened for by testing their droppings.

Nutro makes a food that has a higher amount of calories than other foods. i think it's called "high endurance" or something really close to that. it's formulated for more active dogs because they have a faster metabolism. that may your pup's problem. i had a border collie that i couldn't keep weight on and this food worked well. and a friend of mine has a anorexic GSD and this same food helped to put a little weight on her. don't let the other dogs eat it though, because it's pack the weight on them. good luck at the vet. i hope all goes well.

Edited by pooka37

Well the Vet is thinking it's an allergy with her skin. Change in weather and still building up immune system after being so thin. He has given us a natural Steriod (I will find the name).

And her weight he thought was quite good and she just has a high metabolism. I must admit she is extreamly energetic. She is scratching alot less ATM but I still have to get the Alpha Keri oil.

Since she is otherwise very healthy and active and has normal "poos" he doesn't think it is a thyroid or pancreas problem.

So I guess we'll see how she goes over the next couple of weeks.

I've attached a pic so you can see her weight. She has a little bit more than this ATM.

And is looking great just takes a bit more to keep it there.

Isn't she Beautiful!!!!

post-22-1100749882.jpg

Edited by Gigi

She's looking pretty good, actually!

Just a bit more time and TLC as you are doing. Not much more weight needed, really.

You have to admit - there is a big difference from what you started with!

Do you know what she weighs? Ours sits around the 29-30kg mark.

cheers

hi,

after reading through it seems rescue dogs have the same problem.

I had a rescue Airedale male when i got him every bone on his back stood out I cried at the sight I've never seen a dog so thin. It took me a good couple of years to get some meat on him. His diet was raw meat diet same as every one seems to feed but with lamb flaps and porridge for breakfast made with 2 minute oats with buttermilk(good for expelling worms) and veg and anything else I could find in the fridge. Oats are also calming he was a very active boy constantly jumping or running around.

Good luck