Dogs And Scent

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of articles, links or even books etc on how dogs use their scenting abilities.

Jake and I play very easy find it games and I note that he often zig-zags or holds his nose in the air. Rarely does he seem to follow my scent to where an item is.

I just want to understand the whole process, also do breeds known for say mantracking ability ie bloodhounds do things the same way or is there variation between breeds? I know this is probably a stupid question as all dogs can use scent, but I am very interested to understand how the whole process works.

Cheers :laugh:

these are some recommended readings that i got from my tafe-

Syrotuck, W.G; Scent and the Scenting Dog; Barkleigh Productions Inc. : USA 2000

American Search and Rescue Association; Search and Rescue Dogs, Training Methods; Maxwell Publishing Company; USA 1991

Johnson, Glen R; Tracking Dog Theory and Methods; Barkleigh Productions Inc. : USA 1997 (widely regarded as the bible on tracking)

Mistafa, R; K9 Explosive Detection. A Manula for Trainers; Detselig Ent. Ltd; Canada 1998

Rebmann, David and Sorg; Cadaver Dog Handbook; CRC Press; USA 2000

Hope that helps in some way.

these are some recommended readings that i got from my tafe-

Syrotuck, W.G; Scent and the Scenting Dog; Barkleigh Productions Inc. : USA 2000

American Search and Rescue Association; Search and Rescue Dogs, Training Methods; Maxwell Publishing Company; USA 1991

Johnson, Glen R; Tracking Dog Theory and Methods; Barkleigh Productions Inc. : USA 1997 (widely regarded as the bible on tracking)

Mistafa, R; K9 Explosive Detection. A Manula for Trainers; Detselig Ent. Ltd; Canada 1998

Rebmann, David and Sorg; Cadaver Dog Handbook; CRC Press; USA 2000

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks very much Jessca. Another question, where is the best place to source books like these? Amazon?

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of articles, links or even books etc on how dogs use their scenting abilities.

Jake and I play very easy find it games and I note that he often zig-zags or holds his nose in the air. Rarely does he seem to follow my scent to where an item is.

Just because he is isn't tracking your footsteps doesn't mean he is isn't following your scent. He could be airscenting in a search mode or following your traill rather than your track- scent moves off the exact course you took and trailers will follow the dispersed scent, footstep trackers are following not just the person's scent but crushed vegetation etc. Different techniques with different but overlapping applications.

Just because he is isn't tracking your footsteps doesn't mean he is isn't following your scent. He could be airscenting in a search mode or following your traill rather than your track- scent moves off the exact course you took and trailers will follow the dispersed scent, footstep trackers are following not just the person's scent but crushed vegetation etc. Different techniques with different but overlapping applications.

He loves it whatever. He is very diligent even if sometimes he takes a while to find something if I hide it from view under fallen leaves or something. He always wags his tail while looking, I suppose may be an indicator he is in some sort of drive! Interesting that scent moves off course that explains why sometimes he seems to head off in the wrong direction! He's no bloodhound, but the pleasure is in the game.

I do find the dog's scenting abilities fascinating.

I do find the dog's scenting abilities fascinating.

Yes me too. A whole sensory world humans can only experience a very small part of, so small I doubt we really understand what they 'see' compared to us.

Glad he enjoys it, it's a great thing to do with them.

There's an American author called Suzanne Clothier who has written some great books e.g. "Bones Would Rain From The Sky" - her website is http://flyingdogpress.com/index.php (you have to register to see all the stuff) and she has written a lovely little booklet called "Following Ghosts - Developing the Tracking Relationship" about tracking...well worth the USD6.50 it costs.

She also has an article called "Scent Games - Educating Your Dog's Nose" which is available free once you register on her site. Some good pre-training games for tracking dogs.

There's an American author called Suzanne Clothier who has written some great books e.g. "Bones Would Rain From The Sky" - her website is http://flyingdogpress.com/index.php (you have to register to see all the stuff) and she has written a lovely little booklet called "Following Ghosts - Developing the Tracking Relationship" about tracking...well worth the USD6.50 it costs.

She also has an article called "Scent Games - Educating Your Dog's Nose" which is available free once you register on her site. Some good pre-training games for tracking dogs.

thanks will go and have a look :shrug: