Halti 's

Christina77, I've ditched the head halter completely in my training of Chelsea... she hated so much (even after proper introduction) that I couldn't get her to focus and the moment she did stop trying to get it off her face, her drives were so low she honestly looked like she'd been beaten :)

She also learnt to overcome the head halter and after a while, she still pulled like a train even with it on (just with her head turned sideways, which can't be good)

K9's advice is pretty much spot on in my opinion regarding these halters. :D

Still, that been said, if you do wish to try one and see how you go, you are more than welcome to use my BlackDog one, just PM me and I'll post it over to you. It should fit your pup/dog as it's very adjustable. The blackdog one looks less like a muzzle than the others and I have never had it come off (they are a very snug fit).

Divine Angel writes:

I am getting a Maremma Sheepdog and have already bought a Halti.

Can I just say that I consider Halti's ENTIRELY unsuitable for pups of any size. A flat collar is IMHO the only method of restraint that should be used on a pup.

Don't let anyone tell you that Maremmas can't be trained - we had one at our dog club with agility titles! Any dog can be obedience trained - the success depends on the ingenuity and perseverence of the handler.

Why not train a pup to walk on a loose lead - then you'll never need a halti. :D

TM:

Maybe, as I don't fit the Halti tightly, I can't see how it could cause an injury.

K9: the leash is attached under the chin, the dog lunges forward & hits the end of the leash, the head pivots at the first joint of the spine & pulls the head around, similar to whip lash in humans.

TM:

regard to Tim pulling.......he was terrible before the Halti.......

& then

TM:

. I didn't fit Tim's Halti tightly as he is a fairly quiet and amenable dog

K9: I find it hard to follow you, with these type of conflicting comments, Im glad it worked for you to some extent, Im just stating my opinion on them & the risks associated.

Divine angel:

I am getting a Maremma Sheepdog and have already bought a Halti. I talked to a friend who has a Doberman X and she said that if the dog has all the power in the shoulders (as a Maremma would), then a Halti is the way to go because then the dog's head controls it as opposed to you controlling the dog.

K9: can you tell me, or maybe ask your friend, why the halter works?

Why is it good for large strong dogs?

I know the answers, but I think you should do your research first.

Christina77, I've ditched the head halter completely in my training of Chelsea... she hated so much (even after proper introduction) that I couldn't get her to focus and the moment she did stop trying to get it off her face, her drives were so low she honestly looked like she'd been beaten :rofl:

She also learnt to overcome the head halter and after a while, she still pulled like a train even with it on (just with her head turned sideways, which can't be good)

K9's advice is pretty much spot on in my opinion regarding these halters. :laugh:

Still, that been said, if you do wish to try one and see how you go, you are more than welcome to use my BlackDog one, just PM me and I'll post it over to you. It should fit your pup/dog as it's very adjustable. The blackdog one looks less like a muzzle than the others and I have never had it come off (they are a very snug fit).

Thanks you so much , that's very kind of you , but I've decided against one,

my main concern was the whiplash effect it could have on her as she lunges towards passing cars or unexpectedly at lizards in the rainforest groundcover ,

as it could do serious damage to her neck.

now that hubbie has finally listened to me :rofl::) and is prepared to help I think I will manage her training better .

Danni , there's no way a spray bottle would work on her, she's loves water and initiallyit would get her attention but then it becomes a game :laugh:

A strong firm hand and voice is what's needed I think, Superman Hubbie will succeed :laugh: