Hot Spot

Lablover

Last Wednesday I noticed a tiny scab on one of my labradors heads. I thought nothing of it as I assumed she had slightly wounded herself.

Unfortunately I was away from home with her but called into our vet on Sunday on our way home as the hot spot progressed rapidly from Saturday. To tell you the truth I have never seen a hot spot grow so rapidly over 24 hours, have not even had a hot spot for years and certainly never one on a dogs head before!!! Her head was shaved, she was injected Clavulox and Dexafort. She has continued her treatment with Claxulox, Macrolone and Masaseb.

Yesterday her hot spot was no better, probably worse. She was very distressed by the itch and shaking so we visited a vet again. He upped her Macrolone tablets and included Neocourt cream.

This evening I was again for the sixth time today proceeding with the various washes and creams and was dismayed to notice 30 tiny hot spots on the bottom of her ears. I have made another appointment for her tomorrow morning as unfortunately I could not visit the visit this evening, as my grandmother recently suffered a stroke and is not expected to live beyond this week and I am her only relative to visit at the present time.

Has anyone else had hot spots that have resisted treatments?. I am beginning to think something else more sinister is playing a part with her prolonged and unsuccessful treatment so far. She only ate half her dinner (very unusual occurence to say the least), her skin generally feels hot to touch, and she continues to be terribly distressed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lablover,

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with hot spots!

My Staffy has just had her first two for the season.

They are the one thing that will escalate very quickly. It's amazing how quickly they grow! :mad

My advice would be to put the Neocort on every hour or so.

When my staffy gets one I clip it immediately (it's good to have some clippers at home with a size 15 blade) and I put the Neocort on up to five times during the day, this tends to nip it in the bud pretty quickly.

Also have a look at her paws, they may also have infection in between the toes, treat that as well, as everytime she scratches she will spread the infection with her foot.

Hope that helps!

Mel. ;)

She loves the pantry as the liver treats are in there. After her "medicine" treatment in the laundy she runs into the pantry for her treat. I thoroughly dry her head and ears. It is so frustrating for me, it would be so much worse for her. Poor thing.

The ooze comes through the cream within 5 minutes.

PS I am so paranoid now I am beginning to think the liver treats are heating her up.

Edited by Lablover

Try having a look at what may be going on from the inside out. Anything with carbo hydrates in it will heat the blood stream so avoiding these is a good thing. Especially corn and wheat. Instead of just treating the hot spot try approaching it as if it were you with the problem and do for the dog what you would do for yourself if you had a need to quickly build up your immune system. Raw unprocessed foods,vitamins and minerals in a good mix ,omega 3 and 6 fatty acids antioxidents and amino acids etc. Stinging nettle tea is good to cool and clear the blood stream , aloe vera juice added daily to the food and put onto the areas that have the problem will help and keeps down any risks of infections developing.

The only thingthat will clean out the lymph system is exercise so dont over look this as a part of the recovery process and of course fresh air and sunlight . None of these thing can do any harm and they can be used in conjunction with any treatment you follow withthe vet.

These things are caused by an immune system problem and by using all the chemicals and drugs you need to use to move it sometimes it actually causes a bigger longer term problem with the things.

Can you give me a rough idea of the diet, whether you"ve had some vaccinations in the last 12 weeks or so, what you are using for heartworm, fleas etc?

My dogs are fed Eagle Pack, chicken carcasses and lamb necks.

She is on Frontline plus.

She is on Ivomec.

She is very fit and lean.

She is a canine blood donor also, so had a full blood panel about 3 months ago. All readings were apparently within normal limits.

It is large. It completely covers the top of her head. Luckily I insisted the original vet to shave large margins around the hot spot so I can easily gauge its growth.

I have a set of clippers at home but the blades are blunt.

Originally she was prescribed the cortisone one tablet every 2 days. Since yesterday morning the dosage has been increased to two tablets a day with no noticable improvement.

I'm fresh out of ideas....Ice pack??

My mum read out a special concoxtion which is supposed to make them disappear, it was a natural remedy, I'll just run downstairs see if I can find it.....

I am willing to try anything for her to be comfortable.

I found it!

'A quick fix is to make a strong cup of herbal tea using a chamomile tea bag, a greeen tea bag and/or a black tea bag. Add a handful of lavender flower heads if you have them or a couple of drops of lavendar oil. Leave to cool and soak, then slop onto the hot spot using a wad of cotton wool or a chux cloth.'

Dr Clare Middle BVMS, CVA,DipHom, a Perth based Vet who uses homeopathy.

I haven't tried it myself, but I will be for the next one!

Edited by StaffordsRule

OK I have made two batches. One with dried lavender (pulled out a bush last week) and one with fresh (I nearly fell in our large fish pond getting that, LOL).

Which should I use - the fresh lavender brew and or dried lavender? Both smell lovely.

Eagle Pack is one of the better dry foods but it does have a fair bit of corn in it From memory its listed in 3 or 4 differnt ways which implies that added together there would be a high amount of corn in the product and corn is notorious for causing the blood stream to heat up. Its also got chicory in it which Id avoid too.

The Ivomec is an insecticide and while its good for killing off heartworm lavae ask yourself what [ over time] you would expect to happen to your body and your immune system if you took a monthly dose of a chemical like this that sits in the blood stream for about 6 weeks. It might be an idea to take the dry food and the ivomec out of the equation until at least the problem is under control . Use a daily med for a while for the heartworm prevention instead.

Anything else other than working on the immune system is simply a bandaid solution and wont stop it from coming back or getting worse and it wont stop other problems from developing over a longer period of time. The problem is caused because there's something wrong on the inside of the dog and its just showing itself this way You do have to treat the symptoms but you also need to have a hard look at the possible causes.

I would say use the fresh, if you use the dried you'll just have to add an extra handful...i would think...

Edited to add stuff...lol

When ever my boy gets a hot spot i clip back the area of the spot and around it then either use fresh aloe vera all and around it and that usually sorts it out in a couple of days. I have used powdered antiseptic (sp) as this dries out the spot and generally stops it from growing any further, apple cider vinegar is also good for this...at least so i have found.

Kit

Edited by KitKat

Thank to so much guys.

My husband just got of bed for a midnight snack. He is a physicist and noticed my brew. He lifted his eye brows noticing my fragrant teas, laughed and has returned to bed knowing once again he is married to an insane woman.

Dosent matter if you use the dry or the fresh . Same amount of oil in both and the hot water will pull the oil out Just let it sit for a while before you strain it. Dried is more potent because its got less water.