'bossy'miss Scarlett

Schnauzerlover

This might sound a bit silly but I feel compelled to ask. Scarlett our new mini schnauzer pup aged almost 10 weeks seems quite bossy :shrug: . Humphrey is almost 5 yrs old and is very laid back and easy going. Scarlett chases him alot (inside and outside) Sometimes Humphrey goes cross with her and sometimes he doesn't, he just runs away trying to get away from her. YEsterday She latched onto his tail :o and he did get a bit cranky, but not as cranky as I have seen him about other things. Can anyone let me know if this is just an adjusting stage (as we have only had her home with us a week) or is she always going to be Miss Bossy Boots? p.s Scarlett is also chasing Humphrey away from us, sometimes he tells her off, sometimes he doesn't. Should we be intervening or just let Humphrey tell her off when he feels like it? Thanks

You have to be aware .Yes they need to sort it out but both sides are now equal & if it isnt accepted for one then not for both.

If she getting atad rough then just distract her to a toy or a command ,dont play to her game.

She was most likely a very confident pup before you got her which is great when coming home to another mature dog.

Scarlett at present see him as a playmate.Humphrey hasnt had to share for 5 yrs & nor have you so now both Humphrey & the humans need to also adjust to there new dog household.

Scarlett & humphrey will spend more time together ideally & as long as Humphrey has a safe area then he will be fine,Its a case of not pandering to him but also not allowing her to be over the top .

I should add our current batch of minis would sooner play with my setters than the minis.There very brave at this age & happy to take on the world :shrug:

Edited by settrlvr

Thanks sett

Humphreys 'safe place' at the moment inside is the lounge as scarlett is too little to get up there on her own. We let her on the lounge with us but she isn't allowed to hassle Humphrey. Outside however he hasn't really got anywhere thats his thats safe from her :shrug: . So do you think that we should be giving a command before things get too ruff? What would you suggest? She doesn't seem to be bothered if Humphrey gets a bit cross, however she will roll over on her belly when he gets really cross. We have been using Argh argh however she carries on until she is distracted by us with toy, or more often removed from the mischief :o

She doesn't seem to be bothered if Humphrey gets a bit cross, however she will roll over on her belly when he gets really cross. We have been using Argh argh however she carries on until she is distracted by us with toy, or more often removed from the mischief laugh.gif

If she is rolling over then she is respecting his discipline.

She will grow out of this faze quickly & its a case of being patient & just being consistent .If she is getting over the top then simply distract & remove in a calm no fuss manner but also dont fuss Humphrey either at this time.Both need to be treated equal & its both calm & quiet.She will learn of him in many ways & she will also learn his behaviour so he is the role model

At present what is familiar to her is a "dog" & humphrey is it.

Again thanks for that Sett. So it doesn't matter if he isn't consistent with his barking at her when he has had too much, just so long as she is at some point rolling on her back for him? Scarlett doesn't roll over all the time though :shrug: only when Humphrey really lets her have it (barking and he sometimes paws at her). ALso we have been putting her back in her pen when she is getting too ruff, she generally goes to sleep with her pink rabbit. THanks for your advice :o

post-19895-1239430728_thumb.jpg

His telling off will depend on how fed up of her he is at the time. I would be worried if she was always rolling on her back, that is compleat submission. there is plenty of body language before that to show the younger one is backing off and Humphrey will be seeing this and know he doesn;t need to keep at her until she is on her back.

It is also normal for the bitch to be the boss!

No you dont want rolling on the back all the time.If she is being extreme & he has had enough then occasionally is okay but this where you need to read the signs & give both there space.If you can see hes had enough & she is getting over the top then calmly pick up & place in the pen.It isnst about discipline but about re diverting that moment or distract which ever works for that time.

Not sure what you mean about the barking but if Humphrey is barking stop that asap ,his barking will add to the excitement & that is a nono for him & a habit he may continue & trust me you dont want to vocal dogs

Hi Sett

Humphrey isn't barking non stop at her, just for a minute. She seems to push and push her luck though. Scarlett doesn't roll on her back all the time either, just occasionally. We are still having a drama though when she is trying to get on the lounge when she can see Humphrey sleeping/resting and she just goes for him straight away! She is game as a fox and is really persistant. As I mentioned before we don't allow her on the lounge unsupervised as she won't leave Humphrey alone :(

I guess I am just being a bit weird and worried as we really want them to end up friends. Am I expecting too much too soon? :rofl:

Yep to much to soon.

Our current litter do they lounge chair performance,We have 10 sitting on the lounge & 6 8 week olds doing the it isnt fair.

The key is to not allow bad habits by both parties.It will all fit in place sooner than you think but maybe longer than you hoped :(