Troy

The Ckcs Photo And Chat Thread

27,173 posts in this topic

Gretel   

Such a lovely bunch of puppies :)

Not much happening around here. Our two oldies aren’t doing so well these days. Sad to see them aging. But mostly they are happy and enjoying life. Lots of drugs!

poochmad   
On 07/03/2018 at 12:55 PM, persephone said:

PM ..well thought out decision. Now which direction ? 

*cough*

After all that, we ended up with another Field Spaniel!!

He is an absolute darling and the cuddliest dog I’ve ever had.

So it will be another couple of years before we get another dog.

• Haha 2

Gretel   
3 hours ago, poochmad said:

*cough*

After all that, we ended up with another Field Spaniel!!

He is an absolute darling and the cuddliest dog I’ve ever had.

So it will be another couple of years before we get another dog.

Didn’t happen if there’s no photo!

Since I last posted we have lost Bree. Her heart was worn out :( Lacey is 14 and still chugging along. She tried to catch a bird this morning! Still plenty of spirit.

poochmad   

Sorry about losing Bree, that must have been devastating. :hug:

Unfortunately i can’t upload a photo as they are too big, but I’ll give it a go.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2018 at 1:25 PM, cavanova said:

Thought I would pop in and say Hello

and share a photo of our new babies

They are gorgeous!  My first Cav was tri and she was a bit speshal.  lol  I have a beautiful Blenheim girl now and am tossing around whether to get her a little friend.  

phoebe.jpg

• Like 1

Gretel   

I’m sure she’d love a friend Jemappelle! Thanks Poochmad.

18 hours ago, Gretel said:

I’m sure she’d love a friend Jemappelle! Thanks Poochmad.

I'm sure she would!  I am looking around for something and if the right dog turns up I might make the plunge.  :)

cavigirl   

Hi Everyone,  I am not sure if this is the right place to post a breeder recommendation request but here goes :).

My family is finally ready to get another cavie some years after losing our last boy.  We have previously had 3 cavaliers over the years, 2 adopted as adults (one from a breeder, the other was a rescue and my first a puppy from a lovely breeder many years ago.  

We are a family of 4 adults and one teenager, everyone is onboard with a new puppy to join the family.  My father and his partner are home (retired) while my partner and myself work and teenager is at school.  We will be a pet only home (will be desexed), we are not fussed on sex, would love a blenheim or tri colour (if we could pick), we are looking for health tested parents and a reputable breeder. We are in Victoria but can travel to South Australia or NSW.

The only sticking point I have is that we will be looking to adopt late next year/early 2021.  Our ideal time is over the Christmas break as I have four-five weeks leave when my office shuts down to get a puppy settled in.

If anyone can recommend breeders that are planning a litter Oct/Nov 2020 it would be appreciated, I know it is early but I would love to talk to prospective breeders and get onto a waiting list if possible.  

Gretel   

Hi Cavigirl. Might be a good idea to contact the Victorian Cavalier Club for a chat. They can let you know of upcoming shows etc where you could meet breeders. If you look at the breed links on this site (Go to the home page) there is a list of breeders and you can contact them and discuss health testing, how their pups are raised and if they are planning any litters. Good luck in your search and I hope you find a lovely new addition!

• Like 2

asal   
On 03/03/2018 at 6:53 PM, Monteba said:

I think breeders should be doing some sort of dog sport with their dogs be that showing, agility, obedience, endurance etc ( Some folk have retired from some of these sports after many many years in I would include them in there as people I would buy from as well) 

Health testing is a must but just like humans there are no guarantees as the amount of gene combinations that can happen.

All breeders should be doing DNA testing for Curly Coat/Dry Eye and Episodic Falling and breeding can be done with a carrier as long as not to another carrier ( well I would never mate a carrier to a carrier)

MVD has no DNA test, all breeders should be getting their breeding dogs and those who have been a part of their breeding programme heart tested by cardiologist and there are heart clinics in most states at least once a year.

All breeds have some health issues sadly just a matter of doing the best you can by choosing a breeder who is there for the breed, doesnt necessarily mean the most ribbons or awards but those who have the breed at heart

I think how old the breeders retired dogs is very important, when looking for a pup for my sister found  a lady with 14 year old, none had hernia's, still MVD clear,  her daughter was 12 , still MVD clear and the grandaughter was six and MDV clear.  She had no interest in showing, hers where their much loved family pets and when you think of it cavalies were not bred for the show ring, the breed evolved as family pets...........same for all breeds, they evolved long before the show scene arrived.... I think its sad people can be pillaried because they are not interested in shows, soundness is the really important criteria.............while searching for my sisters first cavalier I was shocked by one very high profile show breeder, when I noticed her breeding/SHOW dogs had hernias and asked why was she not  breeding from hernia free parents, the reply was "As long as hernias are not a disqualification in the standard, I will be keeping the best pup regardless of hernias, Im not going to keep second best just because its hernia free" even added, "Anyway, I doubt you will be able to find a hernia free cavalier within the next 12 years". That was said the day Don Burke was busy filming a Cavalier King Charles road test as Dogs NSW grounds..........I so hope that breeder has been proven wrong.

That is what brings the show breeder into disrepute with pet people sadly. My daughter in law had a hernia and the pain she suffered until it was repaired makes me wonder why show people do not see why hernia elimination is not on their to do list. So many breeds are increased in incidence, shih tzu to name just one other.  

Although the fashion now to only breed to replace for the next show generation, has meant pet people have less per year to find with  ankc members now.

The numbers bred now compared to 2000 is 3501 and in 2018 is 2417.

compare that to the population growth 2000 was 18,991,431 million.  2018 was  24,898,152 million people of which  there are almost 6 million more potentially looking for a pet.  Membership should be increasing not decreasing as is the case.

found the statistics "

Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. About 62% of Australian households own pets. There are an estimated more than 24 million pets in Australia.

Dogs are the most common pet, with 38% of households owning a dog. There are estimated to be 4.8 million pet dogs in Australia; 20 dogs for every 100 people. Cats are the second most common pet, with 29% of households owning a cat. There are estimated to be 3.9 million pet cats in Australia; 16 cats for every 100 people."

I bought my sisters puppy from the breeder with the old retired grand and great grand mums,  the puppy lived to 16 mv clear all her life.

I was so smitten and also decided to see if I could prove that breeder wrong and can breed hernia free Cavaliers  bought two litter mates as well (none of Traceys dogs had hernias)  and they lived to 15 and 17. Also stayed  mv clear. but I bred  to a victorian dog 12 years ago and these last puppies are now from 11 to 8 and many now have mv.

trouble with testing for mv is they are only clear the day of the test.......it can kick in a week later

apparently the same for syringomeylia, clear at the time of testing but can develop later.

happened to a friends pup, and two i bred later were discovered to have it when mri'ed for something else as neither had any symptoms, fortunately still symptom free at 11 but has mv now, but that's when I gave up breeding them. such adorable dogs but until they can find a way to reduce its incidence and best case, eliminate both its so heartbreaking if it happens

my sister is devastated her babies have mv so young compared to our original girls

as for dry eye, pup can be seemingly normal and develop it later. friends was fine until about three and she noticed her eyes had a funny sheen, took her to the vet and dry eye was diagnosed.. even with daily drops she still went blind , cant remember how long later, although she didn't develop mv and lived to 13

great there is a dna test for it now.

although many breeds have shorter life spans than others, well remember a friend who over the years has never had one of their great danes live to see their sixth birthday and they have had 4 to date..... yet daughters best friends dane lived to 17.

so life truly is a lottery in all breeds, including people.

Hubby is 83, im 71 yet eldest son is gone at only 55, two blood clots to the lungs and gone in minutes. Yet we are both here after cancer............yes lifes a lottery, enjoy what you get and love knowing anyone or any pet can be gone tomorrow..

(corrections done thanks Gretel)

Edited by asal

Gretel   

Asal you might like to get the name of the disease you are referring to correct. MVD.

By buying from a show breeder people have a far better chance, in my opinion, of buying a pup who will grow into a good looking Cavalier. A good breeder doesn’t only breed for health but a dog who most closely resembles a nice example of the breed. I’ve seen so many ugly Cavaliers over the years. I’d prefer a pretty dog with good health.

• Like 1

asal   

I like a nice example of the breed as much as anyone, but neither I or my sister wanted one with hernias, no matter how many champions its parents and grandparents had in the pedigree.

these are her current two, hernia free and clear for curly coat and dry eye. pity no dna tests yet for MVD

zzzzzzz1.thumb.jpg.e583a20ff2401d242d4e0ac6340b0081.jpg

Edited by asal

cavigirl   
13 hours ago, Gretel said:

Hi Cavigirl. Might be a good idea to contact the Victorian Cavalier Club for a chat. They can let you know of upcoming shows etc where you could meet breeders. If you look at the breed links on this site (Go to the home page) there is a list of breeders and you can contact them and discuss health testing, how their pups are raised and if they are planning any litters. Good luck in your search and I hope you find a lovely new addition!

Thank you Gretel, I am lucky enough to live under 10 min from KCC park so I will try to get down there next time there is a show.  

• Like 1