Puppy Hates Having Her Harness Put On

BaileyWei

Bailey my 15 week old Weimaraner HATES having her harness put on and I need some help to get her used to it or make it less of a big deal. She has never had a bad experience when it is being put on or whilst wearing it so I dont know why she is so scared. As soon as she sees her harness she runs to her kennel and lays down or runs down to the back of the yard.

The harness only has 2 clips so it doesnt take long to put on, my latest trick is to give her a Peanut Butter Kong but she still squirms and tries to run away.

Any advice?

Here is a pic of her in her harness, she was only 9 weeks in the pic

post-28123-1239681159_thumb.jpg

Oh ok I thought you meant you were walking her on a harness. I have no experience with harnesses in cars as I have a station wagon and crates, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help :rolleyes:

Are you sure its the harness and not the car ride?

For putting the harness on, you could try having her on lead, then wrap the lead around your foot & stand on it, then put harness on - perhaps her on lead before you pick up the harness so you can put it on quickly and you aren't chasing her around with it :rolleyes: Once its on give her a treat/reward

Are you sure its the harness and not the car ride?

For putting the harness on, you could try having her on lead, then wrap the lead around your foot & stand on it, then put harness on - perhaps her on lead before you pick up the harness so you can put it on quickly and you aren't chasing her around with it :) Once its on give her a treat/reward

No she loves the actual car ride, she stretches out and goes straight to sleep. Sometimes she wont get out of the car at the end of the journey :rolleyes:

I would suggest it has been turned into a partial game for her & a habit & your most likely more off it than required & i mean this by it ending up with peanut butter.It sounds like what should take 5 sec ends up being a great reward off you for her.

I suggest before even putting her harness on you attach her to a lead .Take her to an area that is non slip & give the command "stand" with no fuss or pandering put it on & then reward.

What does she do when you just clip her lead onto her collar?

No idea how to help other then to ask why she has a blue harness.

Bailey don't worry princess you can come and live with me and I will buy you a pink harness so you don't have to wear that blue one and have people confuse you for a boy. :thumbsup:

No idea how to help other then to ask why she has a blue harness.

We were getting a boy from the breeder but our pup had a heart murmer and had to be PTS at 7 weeks, the only option was to take a girl or wait up to 12 months for the next litter. We had already bought everything in anticipation for his/her arrival hence the blue harness.

I am pleased to say I put her harness on this morning no problems, I took her in to the kitchen, gave her the sit command then a treat and quickly clipped her in. Viola!!!

I think I just need to do it quickly and without fuss - I will persist and keep you updated :laugh: