Retained Puppy Teeth In Pomeranians

Guest Travvy

Guest Travvy

I have two young Poms that have either retained their upper /and, or lower Canine teeth. They are not show dogs and are seven and eight months old respectivley. The one dog has retained both lower and both upper canines and has four canines in its mouth. The permanent canines are approx half grown out of the gums.

A new friend, who has years of experience with breeding Poms has advised me to buy, and then use, "Pig Nippers" (a type of pliers) to cut the tip off these retained teeth. I am assured that this is painless to the dog. Aparently these "nipped off" teeth then just rot out of the gums clearing the path for their adult teeth.

Here is the article I was sent for reference.

How to Remove Retained Puppy Teeth

LET'S TALK POMERANIAN DOG TEETH HEALTH

A helpful article on a common problem in Pomeranian puppies: removing retained puppy teeth, or a double row of teeth.

BY MARY ROSENBAUM

Puppies have 28 temporary teeth that start erupting at 3 to 4 weeks of age in the toy breeds. They should have 42 permanent teeth by the time they are 6 to 8 months of age. Puppies should lose the puppy tooth before the adult tooth emerges, but toy breeds are well known for retaining puppy teeth, and often have what is called a 'double row of teeth'.

I start checking every pup's mouth once a week beginning when they are 5 months old, to see how the new permanent teeth are lining up and if they have any retained puppy teeth. Time is of great importance that puppy teeth be pulled at the right time or you could have a pup that has teeth out of line at maturity.

I am going to explain our technique of how to resolve the issue of a double row of teeth, but I should mention that this is not going to control an overbite or under bite - when the jaw itself out grows the length of the opposite jaw. I consider this a major problem, and so does AKC, when you plan to show you're Pomeranian in conformation classes.

Over the years I have been breeding, if any male or female produced overshot or under shot bites, I had them neutered or spayed and placed them in pet homes. This a genetic problem that will keep cropping up from generation to generation if you do not cull these animals from your breeding program. A genetic overshot or undershot dog will produce the same in its offspring as this is a recessive gene and both parents have to have this recessive gene to exhibit this problem. All the supplements you give can help improve the symptoms of a genetic problem but it will not eradicate it from the gene pool.

I haven't taken a pup to my veterinarian in years since I learned how to remove puppy teeth easily and safely. First of all, the baby teeth are like braces and the permanent teeth grow in behind them. The six puppy teeth between the canines (top & bottom) have three points on them. This is important to remember to make sure you do not pull a permanent tooth. If you have an even bite, pull the top six top baby teeth as soon as the permanent ones show up, leaving the bottom row of puppy teeth alone. If your puppy has bottom teeth that are protruding over the top ones, pull the bottom 6 teeth leaving the top puppy teeth alone.

Usually when the permanent teeth start protruding, the baby teeth will be easier to remove. I take a washcloth and push the tooth up and out; they will just pop out. Do not continue to wiggle a tooth as this will cause the puppy pain, and you will create a mouth shy dog that will not let a judge examine its bite in the ring. Now if your pup has both the puppy and permanent canine teeth showing, here is the trick you need to remove these.

Years ago I ordered from Jeffers Vet Supply a pair of baby pig teeth nippers. I am sure these are still available thought livestock magazines, or you can use regular toe nail clippers. Cut just the tip off the baby K9's (there will be no bleeding or pain to the puppy) and wait a few weeks, you will be able to just flick these canine teeth out with your finger. You can also give your pup large knuckle bones and such that they can chew to help remove these teeth. I have used this method for over 20 years and have had no infections or problems of any kind. I am confident that this method of resolving the double row of teeth in puppies will work for you too if you follows my instructions.

Having never done this, I am concerned and wonder if this a commonly used practice on dogs and has anyone actually done this?

Guest Willow

I agree with Rysup...if the teeth are retained it's because they are not going to budge on theri own. A vet will remove them under anaesthetic. I'm a vet nurse and removed my own dogs retained canines while she was being sterilised, and there was an unbeleievable amount of pushing, pulling & blood. It's somehting that needs to be done at a vet clinic. Problems with removing teeth incluse breaking the jaw :) and leaving a bit behind which won't rot out of the gum, but which could cause problems with the jawbone or infection.

If they haven't dropped out on theri own by now, they are really stuck in there, and you could cause lots of damage trying your self

:p

How can people think that rotting teeth in mouths are good? Teeth should fall out not rot out.

If you want teeth removed leave it up to a vet. If your pup is being desexed and still has retained teeth alot of vets will ake them out whilst the dog is under GA.

Chills just run down my spine !

How would the humans like this ? not so well i think.

Kreepy at 6mths,had 1 baby tooth left,the vet was going to pull it when she got de-sexed,but it came out before.

I just had my teeth pulled,and it hurts ! ,i cant imagain how the dogs would feel no pain ?