Do You Find This More Economical?

I just use the daily heartworm pills from Woolies! They cost about $3.50 for 100 tablets.

You just have to remember to give them daily though! Have been using them for ages,always give them with their breakfast then it's easy to remember :(

I wouldn't trust any of those supermarket wormer. Apparently they don't do a great job.

What do you mean "apparently" :)

There's nothing wrong with Dimmitrol, you just have to remember to give it every day.

To get your dog vaccinated against heartworm & do the spectrum every 3 months instead of doing it every month?

What do you mean by Spectrum? if you mean Sentinel Spectrum, it does heartworm so why would consider the needle as well? I don't know of anyone who uses the needle anymore, too many risks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just use the daily heartworm pills from Woolies! They cost about $3.50 for 100 tablets.

You just have to remember to give them daily though! Have been using them for ages,always give them with their breakfast then it's easy to remember :(

I wouldn't trust any of those supermarket wormer. Apparently they don't do a great job.

There's nothing wrong with Dimmitrol, you just have to remember to give it every day.

To get your dog vaccinated against heartworm & do the spectrum every 3 months instead of doing it every month?

What do you mean by Spectrum? if you mean Sentinel Spectrum, it does heartworm so why would consider the needle as well? I don't know of anyone who uses the needle anymore, too many risks.

I don't consider it anymore.

as for this: if you mean Sentinel Spectrum, it does heartworm so why would consider the needle as well?

Thats what the vet was recommending if I was to vaccinate, BUT I'm not going too.(It would still have worked for everything else but the heartworm as it would not have been given every month). The only reason I was considering the hw vacc. was that I had never heard about it before & thought it would have been good, but now I know better thanks to lots of infos regarding the risk in this thread. :)

Thankyou Love ASD! I didn't understand the titre testing before, but now I do!

Pup has just had her 6wk vacc the other day, and I guess she gets the 2nd vacc at 10weeks old which makes her good to go in terms of meeting other dogs in parks etc, no worries etc.. do I still get next year's vaccination done, and then get her titre tested? Or just get her titre tested later this year and maybe avoid next years booster? I guess I'll ask my vet

Definately something I never knew about! Before this forum I thought vaccinating yearly was not a questionable thing. I would definately prefer not injecting my precious dog with the stuff every year if its not entirely necessary. will definately look into this

I haven't got it done yet, but you can find more info here : http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...l=titre+testing

And surely those that had it done could answer more of your question about it.

cheers

So this brand is good to use? What other treatment do you use for the rest of the worms?

Maybe I think that 'cheap' means not good, but that doesn't mean that I'm right...:(

Dimmitrol is one that, if I felt I needed to feed my dog heart worm prevention drugs, I would use. From the info I have read, and from people I have spoken with, the daily treatment is the 'safer' or 'kinder' drug (if these drugs can be referenced as 'kind'). I didn't know you could get Dimmitrol from the supermarket ?????

Edited by Erny

as for this: if you mean Sentinel Spectrum, it does heartworm so why would consider the needle as well?

Thats what the vet was recommending if I was to vaccinate, BUT I'm not going too.(It would still have worked for everything else but the heartworm as it would not have been given every month). The only reason I was considering the hw vacc. was that I had never heard about it before & thought it would have been good, but now I know better thanks to lots of infos regarding the risk in this thread. :)

I don't understand why the vet would suggest you use two different heart wormers simultaneously.

Dimmitrol is one that, if I felt I needed to feed my dog heart worm prevention drugs, I would use. From the info I have read, and from people I have spoken with, the daily treatment is the 'safer' or 'kinder' drug (if these drugs can be referenced as 'kind'). I didn't know you could get Dimmitrol from the supermarket ?????

yes, Homebrand too! A few dollars for 100 tabs, same ingredient as Dimmitrol. Considered by some as safest for pregnant bitches (if you use a preventative on pregnant bitches)

yes, Homebrand too! A few dollars for 100 tabs, same ingredient as Dimmitrol. Considered by some as safest for pregnant bitches (if you use a preventative on pregnant bitches)

This is very interesting, so what other wormer do you use?

I don't understand why the vet would suggest you use two different heart wormers simultaneously.

I didn't either Gareth, that is why I asked them & their answer was that because sentinel wasn't going to be use every month that the heartwormer in it would be 'ineffective' while still working for the other worms.

You just have to remember to give them daily though! Have been using them for ages,always give them with their breakfast then it's easy to remember :)

The drug in the supermarket brand daily heartworm tabs is EXACTLY the same as any brand you buy from the Vet or Pet supply place.

The same goes for many of the Intestinal wormers, read your labels and compare, in many cases you are buying the same formulation simply a different brand.

The excelpet flea and tick spot on also includes the same main ingredient as the 'top dollar' ones do. I did a lot of research because I didn't believe it could be true, but it is.

The supermarket brand 'treatments' are usually made by the same companies, just packaged differently and sold through a different market. It is still essentially the same product. I buy most of my stuff through woolies now, and for a lot cheaper than I used to.

Not sure if you were asking this of me, Love_ASD. But I don't routinely worm my dog (just more drugs). I will worm when I think he might need to be wormed. In recent times I've been receiving reminders from a Vet that my dog is overdue for worming. As it turns out he's been unwell (digestive issues) so I wasn't going to give him a wormer even if I'd otherwise been inclined to. As he had to have fecal sample tests (for the digestive issue) I asked for them to check for worm infestation as well and tests in that regard have come back negative, so I don't see any point in plying him with unnecessary drugs for worms that aren't likely there.

This doesn't quite answer your question (ie what 'other' wormer) but when it comes to it, I'm not sure what I will use. I don't routinely use spot-on's either. He doesn't have fleas; I don't have a flea issue here (touch wood) and in Victoria, we don't have the tick problem that so many other places do. So again, I don't see the point in bombarding him with chemicals from those things either.

Whatever I do use, when and if I feel it is warranted and necessary, will be whatever I can find that is the 'kindest' on the dog's system, yet simultaneously effective for the purpose I prescribe it. Although I did use them routinely through his early puppy period (wisely or not), I don't think the 'chewable' wormers are the 'best' in this respect. But I'd have to go back to my readings/research to confirm this as I've part way forgotten what I did read back then.

Edited by Erny

Not sure if you were asking this of me, Love_ASD. But I don't routinely worm my dog (just more drugs). I will worm when I think he might need to be wormed. In recent times I've been receiving reminders from a Vet that my dog is overdue for worming. As it turns out he's been unwell (digestive issues) so I wasn't going to give him a wormer even if I'd otherwise been inclined to. As he had to have fecal sample tests (for the digestive issue) I asked for them to check for worm infestation as well and tests in that regard have come back negative, so I don't see any point in plying him with unnecessary drugs for worms that aren't likely there.

This doesn't quite answer your question (ie what 'other' wormer) but when it comes to it, I'm not sure what I will use. I don't routinely use spot-on's either. He doesn't have fleas; I don't have a flea issue here (touch wood) and in Victoria, we don't have the tick problem that so many other places do. So again, I don't see the point in bombarding him with chemicals from those things either.

Whatever I do use, when and if I feel it is warranted and necessary, will be whatever I can find that is the 'kindest' on the dog's system, yet simultaneously effective for the purpose I prescribe it. Although I did use them routinely through his early puppy period (wisely or not), I don't think the 'chewable' wormers are the 'best' in this respect. But I'd have to go back to my readings/research to confirm this as I've part way forgotten what I did read back then.

I haven't done mine since about November last years & they are both healthy (mainly beacuse I haven't been able to walk them as I used too due to my knees probs.) Which is 1 other reason why I had enquired about the hw vacc. in the first place as I know it's supposed to be done monthly, but now knowing about that other hw med. that you can can bulk & give everyday I'll see if I can use it with my Aussie Sheps.

ETA, Sentinel does everything including fleas & even though I haven't treated them for quite some times with it I have never seen a flea on either of them.

Edited by Love_ASD

did the vet tell you that??

Like many breeders many of us use the no frills labels because they work.

Most vets have mad it that what they sell is gospel.

That you should buy there over priced Drontal tablet because it works better & o fcourse they sell them for mega bucks or only but the all in ones because they work the best.

The thing is Drontal/Excelpet are made by the same company.One is vet only the other supermarket etc etc

I remember a radio vet who said on his show"the daily tabs where useless"after the phones went crazy he had to admit it wasnt true .

We are old fashioned here.We dont use these new fancy products unless a situation arises.

We all worm when they need it.

We never flea treat because we dont have fleas

We heartworm monthly but used daily for years & years & many breeders still do.

It isnt hard to forget it is just good marketing that makes people think they will.

\Excelpet is drontal/bayer :)

did the vet tell you that??

Like many breeders many of us use the no frills labels because they work.

Most vets have mad it that what they sell is gospel.

That you should buy there over priced Drontal tablet because it works better & o fcourse they sell them for mega bucks or only but the all in ones because they work the best.

The thing is Drontal/Excelpet are made by the same company.One is vet only the other supermarket etc etc

I remember a radio vet who said on his show"the daily tabs where useless"after the phones went crazy he had to admit it wasnt true .

We are old fashioned here.We dont use these new fancy products unless a situation arises.

We all worm when they need it.

We never flea treat because we dont have fleas

We heartworm monthly but used daily for years & years & many breeders still do.

It isnt hard to forget it is just good marketing that makes people think they will.

\Excelpet is drontal/bayer :laugh:

Yes he said so (but about the cat stuff I hadn't inquired about the dogs stuff has I have always used sentinel spectrum)

So from what he told me I assumed it was the same for the rest at the supermarkets.

I used to use those monthly treatments but after reading on here now I worm the dogs about twice a year and only use flea stuff if theyve got fleas and they havent had any fleas this year.Seems stupid treating dogs for something they havent got and giving them a heap of chemicals they dont need.I reckon people use that stuff just coz of the marketing making out like youve gotta worm your dog every month and treat for fleas they haveny got.

I did some research (online) about hw, and was wondering if its really only caused from mosquitoes bites?? If it is, then I can tell you mine would probably never need a treatment, I don't remember the last time we've seen mosquitoes where I live... :laugh:

I did some research (online) about hw, and was wondering if its really only caused from mosquitoes bites?? If it is, then I can tell you mine would probably never need a treatment, I don't remember the last time we've seen mosquitoes where I live... :laugh:

Yeah I think your dogs gotta get bit by a mozzy thats carrying heartworm.The mozzies pick it up from biting other dogs that of got it and pass it on to yours.