Hyper Dog Vs Laid Back Dog

Would You Rather a Hyper Dog or Laid Back Dog  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather a Hyper Dog or Laid Back Dog

• Hyper Quick Learning Dog with Issues
    • Slower learning Laid Back Dog No Issues

I have one of each and they just need different training methods:

1) Zayda is laid back, but by no means a slow dog or a slow learner.... she picks things up quickly and is extremely fast when motivated. I had to learn how to make things fun for her and hyper her up... Agility improved her confidence 1000 fold...

2) Asher has just started and he will be fast.... Glen is learning to rein him in so he pays attention... This will improve as he gets older with the work that is put in.... He will be a good dog and now we just have to get Glen coordinated as a handler!!!

I like both and you just have to change menthods for motivating each to do the right thing... I wouldn't like a dog that was soooo laid back it didn't want to do it and I wouldn't want a dog that is so hyped that it wants to run off and eat the competition.... But again I think a lot of this comes down to the type of training you put in!

Dan

Guest Tess32

What are hyper dogs like inside?

I've only ever had laid back dogs who like to sleep on the couch..hehe.

Nat

I've only ever had laid back dogs who like to sleep on the couch..hehe.

Nat

Not sure about all dogs but Nova is really hyper as is Darcy but once inside they are the quietest dogs who love to just fall asleep on their back :mad

I am already researching breeders for my next dog, and am finding it difficult. I would love a dog that is even more hyperactive than my little El. My heart is saying another Border Collie (Working bred) but i am also very interested in the Koolie & Border Terrier. I know i will go with the BC though.

No traitors allowed here Cloverfdch, :laugh:

Research is the best solution. I am constantly amazed at the fact that my working border is keener & faster and has a heap more drive than the other 2 yet is in most ways so much calmer & easier to live with. There's no destruction, no barking & other than her one fault (which I created) of constantly shoving a tennis ball at me :mad , she is a much more settled dog. I know part of it is consistent training that I didn't apply to the others, but I think a lot of it is just her and the way she has been bred.

I am unclear of what we all consider issues.

Aggression and barking have been mentioned.

Barking can be nipped at in the bud, with no voice training as young puppies.

Aggression another catch word, which could mean a variety of implications to others. Some dogs (particularly males) are only aggressive when staked or annoyed with young pups, some dogs are fine for stays in obedience/or in the show ring but can be real aggressive at other times.

When you have trained a dog who is on the edge of their toes, with an insane willingness to work, I think we never wish for the plodders ever again.

Edited by Lablover

Guest cloverfdch
QUOTE (cloverfdch @ 2nd Apr 2005 - 11:40 PM)

I am already researching breeders for my next dog, and am finding it difficult. I would love a dog that is even more hyperactive than my little El. My heart is saying another Border Collie (Working bred) but i am also very interested in the Koolie & Border Terrier. I know i will go with the BC though.

No traitors allowed here Cloverfdch, :biggrin:

Oh dont worry i am about 100% sure that i will get another BC next :mad, i am just slightly obsessed with them :laugh:.

My Elvis is great inside, he does spend quite a bit of time inside (Sleeps in and stays in when the weather is bad), he will either sleep or play quietly by himself.

I have one of each in the one dog LOL Very relaxed social boy not at all dog aggresive unbelievably tollerent of pups.Then ask him to work and its like flicking a light switch extreme prey drive, intense, fast, good focus,accurate easy to train(once I worked out how he wanted to be trained ) has taught me a lot.

post-9-1112532563.jpg