Besanjhi How High Do They Jump

Do you mean a basenji?

If so then yes they can do agility. They're a hunting dog, so they need to be agile. I don't know how high they can jump, but they'd be fine for the agility jump heights.

Here's a basenji doing agility:

Athleticism is not what would hold a Basenji back from agility :mad

I have talked to owners and breeders of Basenjis (as I think they are gorgeous) who all say they are difficult to train and difficult to get a good recall on and are not always good with other dogs. This is why I would not consider getting one, I like my biddable working dogs :cheer:

I think their independence is what might make them difficult to train for agility, they are not eager to please like many of the breeds that traditionally do the sport. No reason why you couldn't give it a go though, providing you have a good recall and stay.

Athleticism is not what would hold a Basenji back from agility :)

I have talked to owners and breeders of Basenjis (as I think they are gorgeous) who all say they are difficult to train and difficult to get a good recall on and are not always good with other dogs. This is why I would not consider getting one, I like my biddable working dogs :love:

I think their independence is what might make them difficult to train for agility, they are not eager to please like many of the breeds that traditionally do the sport. No reason why you couldn't give it a go though, providing you have a good recall and stay.

I think Basenjis are gorgeous but I've heard they can be a challenge too! Although it doesn't surprise me considering that they are classed as both a Spitz breed and a hound - I don't even want to think about how "interesting" training one could be! :eek:

Edited by huski

I knew some Basenji and there recall was a bit amiss. One was a black and white as well which was a stunning dog. I didn't know they came in any colour besides brown/white.

But boy, they could move. I have a small kelpie x that seems fast at times doing zoomies. This basenji could pass him easily and still look like he was in a canter. Speedy dogs. But mind you they also lapped the dog park 1/2 a doz times before their owners ever got their attention.

But give it a go anyway. Training is fun and a recall is needed anyway.

I know someone in the States that does agility with Basenjis. Her first one was a bad match, but she later found a breeder she really liked and got a second one that has done very well. She got a third one from the same breeder. She says they are definitely a challenge and she has had some embarrassing moments in trials with them when they suddenly decided they weren't working today, but it makes the days they do well a really big achievement.

I think you have to be careful how you train a Basenji. They are very bright and very independent. When they do things for you they are mostly humouring you, so if you don't have a fantastic relationship with them they are unlikely to humour you for very long or very often.

Basenjis can jump very high, my mothers could easily clear a 6 foot fence without trying. Luckily the ones I have now have no idea how to jump or climb.

A girl I bred has recently started doing agility and is doing exceptionally well at it, but you have to have the right basenji to start with.

I find with basenjis that your success rate in training all depends on how food motivated the dog is. Mia the girl I mentioned above will die with a biscuit in her mouth, she will do anything for food.

Davina Hopkins in WA has had success in training her basenjis and so has Moira Wilson also in WA, I think the rest of us really dont have the patience to give it a try.

The most important thing to remember when training a basenji is to do it in small bursts. They become bored very easily, and repetition drives them insane ( they have better things to do with their time )

Davina that I mentioned above can be found on the breeders pages here, maybe contact her and see if she can offer you any advice.

*waves* Hi Curly Tail. I think I emailed you a few months ago about Basenjis. We're still at least a couple of years away, but no doubt I will be following you around a bit. :laugh:

Hi corvus, yep it was me.

You are more than welcome to come over anytime to get a basenji fix until you get one of your own. My guys love having visitors over, its when they pretend to be extra loving and obedient and non typical basenji.

Athleticism is not what would hold a Basenji back from agility :thumbsup:

I have talked to owners and breeders of Basenjis (as I think they are gorgeous) who all say they are difficult to train and difficult to get a good recall on and are not always good with other dogs. This is why I would not consider getting one, I like my biddable working dogs :)

I think Basenjis are gorgeous but I've heard they can be a challenge too! Although it doesn't surprise me considering that they are classed as both a Spitz breed and a hound - I don't even want to think about how "interesting" training one could be! :)

I am sure you could do it Huski (BTW love the videos of your evil beagle training)... Just think of it as a cross between a Husky and a Beagle :)

I am sure you could do it Huski (BTW love the videos of your evil beagle training)... Just think of it as a cross between a Husky and a Beagle :(

:) Thanks fbaudry! I think they are pretty terrible :wave::)