Puppy's Ears Growing Incorrectly

ebs83

Hi...

My little Staffy is now almost 5 months old and when we first got him his ears were rose pricked like they should be. His parents both had correct ears.

However, as his ears have grown, they have started to prick up and now they have been fully pricked for a full month without change. Sometimes they fold back and then go back up again but they never fold down to rose pricked like they were.

Is this permanent? Is there anything I should be doing to coax his ears correctly or will they amend themselves? I don't want to trust that they will amend themselves and find it too late to correct them if they stay that way.

Of course in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as he isn't for show and he's a gorgeous, loving, hyperactive little fella and I love him to bits but he looks less like a Staffy and a little more intimidating with his ears up that way...

Appreciate any feedback, thanks...!

at the moment my pups ears are all over the place, up some days, down some others and everything inbetwen.

I asked a similar question in the BC thread and despite what ears the parents had they can end up with pricked ears so if

it doesnt bother you, i suggest dont worry.

Kenzie also has one up one down pending on her mood. I glued it and it did help keep it folded over and I suspect it would have pricked completely without the glue. Funny thing is that occasionally her other ear is the one that is pricked and she is over 12 months old so in theory her ears should have settled. I suspect the ear will permanently prick eventually but doesn't mean I love her any less.

Yes he is a pedigree (supposedly). He doesn't have papers, I have copies of the parents papers.

He isn't a show dog and wasn't bought for that reason so as I said, it's not a massive deal but he doesn't look like a staffy with ears like that, he does look like a more intimidating dog like a pit bull or something.

Also I paid a fair bit of money for him so I'd be very disappointed if the "breeder" wasn't truthful when selling him to me. (although I wouldnt' change a thing in hindsight because he's my baby)

Of course, it doesn't change how beautiful he is towards us, he's got a great character and nature and that's what I bought for. But if it could be changed I would prefer to, that's all.

Most likely they will stay that way, unless you tape or glue them.

I don't leave ears to chance and the second they drop or look to fly away they are taped.

It's not to late to start but it will take longer.

Is there a special tape or glue that you buy? I wouldn't do it if it's going to hurt or irritate him.

How long could it take in my case?

Yes he is a pedigree (supposedly). He doesn't have papers, I have copies of the parents papers.

He isn't a show dog and wasn't bought for that reason so as I said, it's not a massive deal but he doesn't look like a staffy with ears like that, he does look like a more intimidating dog like a pit bull or something.

Also I paid a fair bit of money for him so I'd be very disappointed if the "breeder" wasn't truthful when selling him to me. (although I wouldnt' change a thing in hindsight because he's my baby)

Of course, it doesn't change how beautiful he is towards us, he's got a great character and nature and that's what I bought for. But if it could be changed I would prefer to, that's all.

Sorry but if he doesn't have papers he is not 'pedigree'

The breeder has already been untruthful to you. Registered ethical breeders are not allowed to breed puppies and not register them with papers. Your breeder either is a dodgey registered breeder that needs to have their registration disqualified or, which is most likely, a dodgey backyard breeder that has gone and bought themselves two pedigree dogs and decided to get some puppies out of them. With little care for breed lines and if they should be bred at all. They then made out to you that they were good people and charged you a fortune for a dog that could be anything. Very sad.

Because he is not a show dog I wouldn't worry about messing with his ears. 5 months is probably to late to do anything about them anyway.

If these supposed breeders were such good people they would be able to show you how to glue and tape.

Sorry but if he doesn't have papers he is not 'pedigree'

The breeder has already been untruthful to you. Registered ethical breeders are not allowed to breed puppies and not register them with papers. Your breeder either is a dodgey registered breeder that needs to have their registration disqualified or, which is most likely, a dodgey backyard breeder that has gone and bought themselves two pedigree dogs and decided to get some puppies out of them. With little care for breed lines and if they should be bred at all. They then made out to you that they were good people and charged you a fortune for a dog that could be anything. Very sad.

Because he is not a show dog I wouldn't worry about messing with his ears. 5 months is probably to late to do anything about them anyway.

If these supposed breeders were such good people they would be able to show you how to glue and tape.

Some states are allowed to sell without papers - I think WA is one of them, not sure if it is the only one? But to say the breeder is unethical when you don't know where they are, or if it is allowed, is not right.

Some states are allowed to sell without papers - I think WA is one of them, not sure if it is the only one? But to say the breeder is unethical when you don't know where they are, or if it is allowed, is not right.

So WA breeders keep the puppies papers and hand over photocopies of the parents papers? Or they don't have to register litters at all? Sorry doesn't sound right to me.

So WA breeders keep the puppies papers and hand over photocopies of the parents papers? Or they don't have to register litters at all? Sorry doesn't sound right to me.

That's right - not every puppy in the litter has to be registered. If they are going to be shown or bred from, they are registered, otherwise they don't have to be.

So yes, you could receive a puppy from an ethical breeder and only get a copy of the 'pedigree' (i.e., photocopy of both parents papers, or excel spreadsheet etc).

That's right - not every puppy in the litter has to be registered. If they are going to be shown or bred from, they are registered, otherwise they don't have to be.

So yes, you could receive a puppy from an ethical breeder and only get a copy of the 'pedigree' (i.e., photocopy of both parents papers, or excel spreadsheet etc).

I believe all states including WA now have to provide registered pedigrees with ALL their pups. If you do not have the pup's papers, but just copies of the parents papers, you have bought from a backyard breeder.

It is a shame that a common perception for people that want a purebred dog think that it is best not to get one with 'papers'.

Perhaps they think that 'papers' are only something you need if you want to show or breed?

In fact, they could not be further from the truth!