9 Week Old Puppy Humping Already

mycrazyhat2

Hi all, my 9 week old lab puppy has already started humping things, not too frequently maybe a couple of times a day and at the moment its been a flower pot and his blanket. I would have thought he'd be too young for this and he's not been around any other dogs that he's copied.

Any advice on how to stop this behaviour?

Thanks

It is a perfectly normal part of puppy development , AFAIK. Pups do it amongst littermates...dogs and bitches alike :)

Providing you don't provide him with any sort of vocal/physical reward ..don't even stand and watch!! ...it should just pass off into oblivion .

Provide pup with some interactive toys- squeaky ones, kongs, balls to roll, etc... and BIG bones to chew...lots of short training moments

My OH thought Mr Fluffy was broken when he did this on the day we bought him home.. lol

Does it all the time... The Trainer at Puppy skool said that its dominance.. Its ok to do it as long as it doesnt get out of hand (eg does it to us or starts trying to dominant us)

Goodluck!!

LOL some do it from very young ages others tend to delay their humping for some months.

It's all normal, just don't give it any attention, don't correct the puppy for it or laugh or anything like that, just pretend it's not happening :rolleyes:

Lol I just brought home my golden retriever a couple weeks ago he's now 9 weeks old and he is doing the same thing aswell, I've just told him down and he just sits there with a cute look on his face. :cry:

• 1 month later...
My 8 weeks old lab puppy that I brought home today also just did this, he was humping a stuffed toy duck that I bought him.

Same here!! I have 2 duck toys from the reject shop, ALL my pets love this particular duck squeaking toy (even the ferrets). This duck also happens to be Shylas humping buddy.. she started @ 9wks old :shrug: