Goodbye Ruby

Longclaw

Yesterday we put Tommy and Ruby outside while we (my parents, brother, nephew, Mr Longclaw and I) went to Canberra to watch the football. It turned into a very windy day. The dogs love to run in the wind, and at some point while we were gone, our poor little Ruby peanut has done zoomies, tripped and broken her neck. She would have died instantly - no pain or suffering.

When we came home it was so windy and while I was holding the gates open so the cars would drive in, Tommy raced up to me. I grabbed him then looked around for Ruby. I saw her little red jacket lying on the ground in the middle of the house paddock. Mr Longclaw and I shut the gates (not easy in that wind) and ran over to her. She was dead.

Mr Longclaw picked her up and we were so distraught we didn't know what to do. Mr Longclaw and my dad took her round the back of the house out of sight of my nephew. A little while later we took her into the garage, put her on the lounge in there and wrapped her in blankets. It was way too cold and windy and dark to leave her outside.

My brother and nephew left this morning. A little later, Mr Longclaw and I went out to dig her grave. We buried her up near the roses by the gate, where she liked to lie and wait for us to come home in the afternoon. We buried her in her little red coat which looked so cute on her.

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday. We didn't have you for long but it felt like we'd known you forever. You fit in so well, you were an important part of our family and you always will be. We miss your waggy tail every time we say your name and your contented grumbles when you stretched out on the couch. We miss the way you'd steal our seat when we got up for 5 seconds. We miss you.

Rest easy, our beautiful little girl. We will always love you and you will never be forgotten.

Huge thanks to Dust Angel who came out on what was to be her second last day with us, and took the most lovely photos of her. We treasure them even more now.

P1014191.jpg

P1014183.jpg

P1014208.jpg

P1014222.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I felt physically ill when i got your message this morning. Such a tragic thing to happen LC im so very sorry, im pleased to have been able to offer you some photos to keep - though her memory im sure will never dim in your hearts. It was a privlidge to be able to spend that time with her, such a lovely girl always coming in for kisses.

LC i have shed some tears for her today and im sure when i get home from work i will shed some more, i will light a candle to her memory tonight as i am sure she is already looking down on the pair of you from the bridge. Im know there are no words to ease your breaking hearts but our thoughts are with you Mr and Mrs LC and with Tommy who im sure will miss her as well.

She had a fine end to her life and lived in the lap of greyhound luxury. Im sure she is smiling her delightful crooked smile tonight as she races around the bridge, her heart full of the love you gave her and her mind assured that she will one day see you again.

Rest Easy Ruby gorgeous girl watch over your family as they mourn your loss. :rolleyes: :laugh::laugh:

Edited by Dust Angel

I'm so sad to hear this news and I've shed a few tears over it. As you say it would have been instant and Ruby wouldn't have known a thing, except for the sheer pleasure she must have felt at that moment. Thank you for giving her such a happy life. Please take care of yourselves and Tommy.

She would never say where she came from

Yesterday don’t matter if it’s gone

While the sun is bright

Or in the darkest night

No one knows

She comes and goes

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

Who could hang a name on you?

When you change with every new day

Still I’m gonna miss you...

Don’t question why she needs to be so free

She’ll tell you it’s the only way to be

She just can’t be chained

To a life where nothings gained

And nothings lost

At such a cost

There’s no time to lose, I heard her say

Catch your dreams before they slip away

Dying all the time

Lose your dreams

And you will lose your mind.

Ain’t life unkind?

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

who could hang a name on you?

When you change with every new day

Still I’m gonna miss you...

Many tears here too today Longclaw. After many many years on various greyhound properties, she finally found her forever home with you. Not long enough I know, but she had four wonderful months in the Tommy Longclaw household.

She really was one of the very special ones, I know we say that about all of the greys, but dear Ruby was extra special - I mean how could anyone with only four teeth be so beautiful?

annieK

Edited by anniek

Oh, that last photo did it ... :eek:

I'm so sorry Ruby was such a duffer. We drove past your place just this afternoon and I thought of SMSing to see if you were in -- I'm glad I didn't disturb you. Such a tragedy will take some time to come to terms with.

RIP Ruby. Tommy will be missing his buddy.

Take comfort in the knowledge that Ruby had a wonderful time with the Longclaw clan.

:eek::laugh: Oh no, I just found this.

no words, just tears here for you & Mr Longclaw & Tommy.

A beautiful family who two little souls have come to for their final precious time on earth.

I'm so sorry darlins.

fifi

i am crying my eyes out after reading ur post my deepest sympathies are with u and ur family right now oxoxox god surely has a special place in his garden for the lovely ruby ...

After all dont all dogs go to heaven ?