World Dog Games - Agility, Frisbee, Flyball And Dock Dogs

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Information on being involved in Dock Diving.

A couple of people have asked me about the diving dogs (DOCKDOGS) and how they might be able to put their dog’s name forward for possible inclusion in that event at the World Dog Games. If that is of interest to you please email your details to Tara King at [email protected]. The sport’s description at www.worlddoggames.com reads as follows.
Diving Dogs

We are bringing this new dog sport to Australia. Arguably one of the fastest growing dog sports in the US this simple and highly accessible sport is fun for all types of dogs big and small, pure bred or bitzer. Simply put, if your dog loves chasing a ball or a toy and loves the water, then this one is for you! A dog runs and jumps off the end of a dock, and the longest leap wins and the dog becomes known as a "Big Air Dog".

The dog spectacular show doesn't involve a lot of dogs all together. The following is from an update just released to the flyball fraternity.

In terms of Spectacular competitors it looks like there will only be 8 Agility Dogs, 8 Frisbee Dogs, 4 Dock Diving Dogs (the Dock Diving Dogs are not selected as yet and we have been advised that eliminations will be held in early September - anyone interested in trying out should email [email protected] asap) and the 24 flyball dogs involved in the 4 teams.

TigerJack, yes there are not a huge number of competitors for each sport as it's like a grand final. There are breed stands and such at the event which probably will have dogs.

If you want to get picky about it, there aren't even 8 frisbee competitors - there's only 4; the other 4 teams are two demonstration teams and 2 show teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Josh got into the Dock Diving Team competing, and both dogs got into the Dock Diving Demo Team.

We had a mock competition and Josh got third with a jump of 15feet, Moses got third in his team with a jump of 12 feet. I think over 10 dogs got into the team competing.

Was a lot of fun.

They all loved Josh and said, he looked like a big teddy bear.

Heaps of different breeds. Even some little dogs that only jumped about 6 feet (which was a good effort for their size) got in.

A couple of german short haired pointer was good, a kelpie cross border collie jumped 19 feet. They had some Tervivians (might be spelt wrong) that got in. Labradors.

One lady travelled from Queensland, and some flyballers from Canberra (shoal haven team).

Oh I just realised that one of my dogs qualified for Dock Dogs! Brock the choccy BC is from my first litter.

For anyone looking for accommodation, I have found a place, Burwood Lodge and Burwood B&B. They both accept dogs and are only 6km from Acer Arena (and under the allowance competitors are being given!).

Edited by molasseslass