Urgent: Green Tree Frogs And Dogs

Tilly

My 6.5 year old GSD has just been playing with a Green Tree Frog ... the frog was making nasty ticked off sounds.

I have removed the dog and locked him in the puppy pen and now he is making funny noisy breathing noises.

Are green tree frogs dangerous to dogs? I can't find anything on line so far....

Edited by Tilly

Green tree frogs are not poisonous like cane toads however they can have a very serious even fatal effect on some dogs.

Frogs exude a repellant, just like toads - it is their only protection against predators - toads are very toxic, frogs less so.

It doesn't have any effect on some dogs other than to taste nasty but some dogs can have a severe reaction to it.

Best practice is to wipe your dogs mouth out with a wet washer (including gums, tongue and teeth) thoroughly to remove any frog/toad juices.

Very best practice is to prevent the dog from getting the frog/toad in the first place! :thumbsup:

I did hose the brats mouth out before locking him in the puppy pen. He is back to normal today and excited to be out of the puppy pen ... not happy about getting locked up.

I don't normally see green tree frogs around the place but did see one for the first time out the front on Wednesday night. I didn't even think about the frog going into the back yard.

Both mine usually gag or vomit after carrying them around in their mouths, gently, whilst the frog goes off its brain. I dont know why they think that I want frogs bought to me..

:hug: Why wouldn't you want a smelly green prezzie?

• 12 years later...

Green Tree frogs do secrete a toxin when being attacked and are held in a dogs mouth. This toxin is it's defence to make the dog vomit and release the frog. It's not normally fatal but can be. If vomiting is severe you must flush dogs mouth out with water for a few minutes. If vomiting continues seek a vets advise. 

• Like 1