Low Allergy Breeds Best For Obedience/agility

As someone with an allergy to dog fur, and with a recent dog obedience addiction, I'm interested to hear from those of you with more experience in trialing about low allergy breeds that love obedience and agility work.

There are lots of breeds that don't shed their hair. Poodles, irish water spaniels, portugese water dogs, tibetan terriers (I think but not really sure), schnauzers, lagottos, and I'm sure the list goes on.

I would love to hear from people with trialing experience - what have you seen from these breeds (I know some of them are quite rare breeds) and how do they take to the ring? I've seen some poodles work really nicely. What about some of the others?

I know it's a lot about the individual dog too, so please don't get me wrong I'm not expecting that whole breeds behave the same way. But we all know some breeds really love to work - watching Border Collies at trials reminds me of this on a regular basis.

As someone with an allergy to dog fur, and with a recent dog obedience addiction, I'm interested to hear from those of you with more experience in trialing about low allergy breeds that love obedience and agility work.

There are lots of breeds that don't shed their hair. Poodles, irish water spaniels, portugese water dogs, tibetan terriers (I think but not really sure), schnauzers, lagottos, and I'm sure the list goes on.

I would love to hear from people with trialing experience - what have you seen from these breeds (I know some of them are quite rare breeds) and how do they take to the ring? I've seen some poodles work really nicely. What about some of the others?

I know it's a lot about the individual dog too, so please don't get me wrong I'm not expecting that whole breeds behave the same way. But we all know some breeds really love to work - watching Border Collies at trials reminds me of this on a regular basis.

My first thought would be poodle - they are known to be intelligent are an athletic breed and come in different sizes to suit different needs. I have known of some lovely poodles in both obedience and agility. I even remember a 3 legged poodle with a masters agility title in NSW - I was amazed watching it go around.

My first thought would be poodle - they are known to be intelligent are an athletic breed and come in different sizes to suit different needs. I have known of some lovely poodles in both obedience and agility. I even remember a 3 legged poodle with a masters agility title in NSW - I was amazed watching it go around.

It was also amazing to watch that poodle do UD obedience.

I would also vote for a poodle.

I would love to do agility with a Poodle one day - Mini or Standard would be awesome :laugh:

In years gone by I also handled a Tibetan Terrier - he was a hoot and great fun.....like a mop on speed :) '; <---- sorry about that....curious foster kitten exploring keyboard!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I have really bad allergies. I don't have much trouble with my borders. I got a bit of hay fever today after washing them but that could have been the shampoo. I do get hives from some animal hair but don't react to them.

Standard Poodle or Portuguese Water Dog if you want the slightly larger dog - Miniature Poodle for the smaller dog. PWD are brilliant at agility and obedience but not quite the same as training a Border Collie - if there's a new or different way of doing an exercise a PWD will try it out and see if it works.

Kiss is now up to Masters in jumping and I am scared! How do you remember all those twists and turns in the Masters course? I am a very ordinary handler and am often saved by my smart and very forgiving Lagotto.

The Lagotto is very easy to train. Once it appeared that I was the only one out there with a Lagotto but 10 years down the track (that is how long they have been in Australia) and they are popping up everywhere. Obedience, Agility, Flyball, shame they won't let us try herding, and of course doggy dancing. I have never been one for formal obedience, but have let myself be talked into our May trial, so keep your fingers crossed please. They are gun dog group so will have to give Gundog trials a go too. Quite fancy myself as Annie Oakley (or Calamity Jane). So much to do, wish I was twins...........

Did you see Kiss on Kerri-Anne when we were doing Flyball at the Sydney Royal? Was that ever a busy time, flyball, mass obedience display and agility. Think the car knew its own way to Homebush.

As you might have gathered, I'm your jack of all trades and master of none, but then I would hate to miss out on anything. Girls just want to have fun......hmmmm, make a good song that.

Noels.