Dog Shampoos

I heard about using Wool Wash, but it contains eucalyptus or tea tree oil or something like that, which is toxic to dogs. So don't use it.

I like herbal-based shampoos myself. They often are either unscented or have something soothing like lavender essence in it. My late dog had eczema, so she had a special herbal formula, can't remember where I bought it though, might have been the vet's.

Some flea shampoos are too harsh, I try to avoid them and use a flea preventative like Frontline instead.

But if I've run out altogether, then I have tried normal human stuff- Palmolive doesn't seem to affect the dog in any negative way... and those yummy scents make her smell so delicious....

ive just swapped cant remember the name of the brand but it a special red coat - supposed to bring out the colour

but i also use sard stain remover on white paws to get them clean for showing works wonders!! but make sure u rinse it all off!!!

edited to add - i think the shampoo is biogroom!!

Edited by Akitaowner

I use Episoothe by Virbac (from vets) for the 2 Tibbie girls. It's kind to skin & leaves a lovely fresh smell. A vet once told me she used Episoothe on to wash her children's hair when they had chicken-pox!

If there was a flea problem, I'd use Fido's Flea Shampoo or Fido's Fre-Itch Rinse.

Edited by mita

I adore Aloveen shampoo and leave in conditioner. Smells like coconut and the scent stays on their coat for ages......plus if they start getting a tad whiffy but not needing another bath, just wipe the conditioner through their coat.

That and it's a great hand moisturizer! hehe

I adore Aloveen shampoo and leave in conditioner. Smells like coconut and the scent stays on their coat for ages......plus if they start getting a tad whiffy but not needing another bath, just wipe the conditioner through their coat.

That and it's a great hand moisturizer! hehe

Ditto here - smells wonderful, very soothing and the conditioner is great for detangling any matts. :)

I saw a photo recently of a staffie they had used human shampoo on - burned a big trail down its back...maybe it was the vet's newsletter? can't recall.

I use aloveen too - did the sniff test in pet warehouse and it was the nicest smell, and like Jacqueline says, it endures for a while.

DON'T USE WOOLWASH!!! Sorry about that just had to let everyone know lol

If you use it on a regular basis you will very soon have a dog with no hair, it damages the hair follicles.

Don't use human shampoos either- our skin ph balance is different to a dog's ph balance.

Yes it is generally 'you get what you pay for', ask your Vet about what's best to use, especially if you have staffies- they tend to have sensitive skin.

Aloveen, Natural Shampoo, are both great, if you want cheaper go for Fido's puppy/kitten shampoo. The one that I use on my grooming dogs is Rudduck's Strawberry puppy/kitten shampoo (kmart), very nice to use, washes out the dirt really easily and leaves the hair soft.

I have also seen heaps of dogs with burns from the excelpet flea shampoo or rinse or whatever it is....

Mel. :)

To all those people using Aloveen- is that only in the US or only in Australia?

I'm in Australia and it sounds like a good product that I wouldn't mind trying. My dog is a Maremma so she will have a long double coat. I think I'll need a very good shampoo to get through all that fur!

We use Laserlites mixed with Canine Care Hydrobath Solution, love that coconut smell and we have just started to use Dazzle Dog as recommended by Samoyed breeders, can't say we have noticed much difference in their whites tho.

On Babies we use Canine Care Ice Water (only available in WA I believe) with Johnsons Baby Shampoo, the pink one, they smell like little peices of heaven. We have not to date had a skin problem with this regime.

Canine Care is a natural pyrethrin low sudsing hydrobath solution that has a mild detergent, astringent and antiseptic. It does not need rinsing off. We use it because it smells nice. We are not cursed with flea's although as a flea killer its not very effective these days.

For flea infestations on rescues we choose to use a sheep dip which is then rinsed off, not nice but its over pretty quick and we KNOW the flea's are all dead