My Boy Has Hurt His Leg

Oh dear :happydance:. Mandela has done an injury to one of his back legs. I think it is more likely muscular than skeletal and seems to stem from high up in the groin area. Could be hip though ..... I haven't ruled that out.

He did it today and I believe he did it from taking great leaps in the air. Nothing obvious until I brought him back out of his crate (we were at a seminar) and noticed him considerably stiff. I kept him out of the crate for the remainder of the afternoon, as it was quite uncomfortable for him to sit and to lay down.

We're at home now and he yelps if he goes to lay down on his right side (the side he's damaged). Laying down to his left side is a bit awkward, but is do-able. Laying down to his right side is not do-able at all.

Of course, he won't stay in one spot whilst I'm wandering around doing stuff in preparation for tomorrow and also whilst I'm cooking dinner, but then it takes him so long to lay down. I know he wants to because he's tired, but he wanders around (he's stiff and definitely favouring the right hind) whining. Whining is more a "woe is me, I don't know what to do to make myself comfortable" more than a whining in pain (I am pretty sure that's the case, anyway).

I have thought about whizzing him down to the emergency Vets for pain relief, but feel that he might be better to feel uncomfortable for the time being, so he'll continue to protect his leg.

I avoid the emergency Vets if I can, too ..... as I tend to find that's where the really sick dogs go. Last time I was there a parvo case came in and I was careful to skedaddle out of there as quickly as I could.

So - what's the opinion of others? I guess I'm feeling guilty for the fact that he is obviously in a reasonable degree of discomfort (and pain, when it comes to laying down and/or sitting) and that without drugs I don't know that I can do much about it.

I do reflect on times when I've put myself out and suffered overnight until I could get to my chiropracter ..... and managed. But that's easier than seeing your dog feeling that way.

I'm thinking it is not an emergency and doesn't need Veterinary attention tonight but I think I need some support in my decision (or contrary opinion). Must admit, tomorrow is going to be awkward to organise attention for him (I'm hoping that it might not be as bad tomorrow - maybe a strain???) as I have a funeral to go to (close and long-term friend).

Edited by Erny

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a run of bad luck for you and Mandela :happydance:

Has he gone to the toilet? Will he eat and drink?

When Diesel broke his leg, he wouldn't go to the toilet or eat or drink. The noise he made too when it broke was awful :thumbsup:

I understand avoiding the emergency vets - only gone there once with my own dog when Zoe was attacked - also VERY expensive. As long as you can keep him reasonable comfortable and he is not in immediate danger and you can get him there in the morning I think you should be OK.

He's eating and drinking. He's been to the toilet (number 1) and did a poop this afternoon - the latter was when I had become suspicious of his leg not being 'right' but it wasn't as bad at that time as it is now (presume the worsening is due to stiffening). He's just pulled a ball out from under a table and is attempting to get me to play with him ..... so he's not exactly depressed.

I've felt his leg and can't find any particularly 'hot' areas. Hard to tell 'heat' in the groin area, as it's often warm there anyway. There's no swelling anywhere, that I can see.

I think you should be right to keep him quiet and wait til tomorrow. When Diesel broke his leg he would not do ANYTHING, was very flat (understandably!) :happydance: He is my poor accident prone sooky boy.

Having seen him today I would wait til tomorrow, just keep him as confined as you can (lol yep realise this wont be easy!) He may have just twisted awkwardly when he was kangaroo hopping, dont stress too much yet

Big hugs

Thanks Clyde. And Kavik. I think I'm ok with thinking Emergency Vet not necessary tonight. You've made me feel better - it's hard to be objective with your own dog.

Clyde - I thought about crating, but the crate makes it more awkward for him to lay as he needs to (and to get down into a 'lay down' position).

<sigh> .... think I'll just go eat my eggs on toast and then get ready for and go to bed. That way he'll settle on his cushion for the night.

I better go - I think he's barking at the noise of my eggs cooking in the fry pan :happydance:.

Thanks guys. Love the fact that you are out there for me to talk to :thumbsup:.

ETA: Oops! Sorry - didn't see you two slipping in your posts before this one, so thanks also Isiss and Shoemonster. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

Hi Erny

Hope you enjoyed your eggs on toast, that was always a great Sunday night tea when I was a kid :happydance:

For the future, you might be interested in having a homeopathic remedy on hand for times like this.

I always have Arnica cream which is magic if you apply it as soon as possible after any apparent injury (not to broken skin though), and I also have THIS which has been invaluable for my big Goldie who is always injuring himself.

:thumbsup:

I hope he is okay in the morning :thumbsup: My girl has done this a couple of times. First time I waited until the next morning and got her into the vets. Last Monday being the last time she did it, she got up in the morning all hunched up and limping. But still ate her breakfast and still followed me everywhere not matter how many times I tried to get her to settle on her bed :thumbsup:

I gave her 5/6 of an aspirin and she toddled off to eat her bone still when I left for work.

I got home from work dreading the night ahead and if she was still all hunched up was going to take her to the vet.

She was back to her normal nutty self with a slight limp wanting to play chasey's with her Cuz when I got home :happydance:

Thanks ArtyFarty - I did enjoy my eggs, although I normally insist that Mandela lays on his mat instead of hovering over me hoping for a morsel (which he's never ever had whilst I'm eating dinner ..... but he dreams on :happydance:) but I won't tell him to lay down or drop or sit at the moment. Can imagine him milking this 'relaxation of rule' later on :thumbsup:.

Appreciate the link to the holistic measures.

Ari.g - Because he's had stomach issues (believed to be ulcers) of late, I'm loathe to give him asprin. It's also another reason I'm loathe for any Vet to prescribe him tablet pain relief if it turns out he needs it. But appreciate your post and the encouragement that all might come good given 24 hours. Fingers crossed.

However, he did manage to get up on the couch (something I don't always allow him to do, but he knows it's a 'command' thing) which surprised me. And he layed down without yelping - although by habit he layed to his left side, which is better than laying to his right. I've just come away from the couch and the TV to check in here and normally he'd follow me. He's still there though and he's so tired from today's events. Hopefully I'll be able to get him off without him finding it too hard to do.

Anyway I think we'll make a move towards bed and I'll see what he's like in the morning. Appreciate the support to my decision to hold off and see what comes tomorrow.

ETA: When we got home I practiced his 'stand' before releasing him to eat his dinner. 'Stand' has been his weaker command position (although not too bad), but because it is presently proving to be his most comfortable, I'm making the most of it :thumbsup:.

ETA: Mandela has just wandered into the office where I am - there was no yelping, so I presume he managed to get off the couch easy enough :thumbsup:.

Talk to you tomorrow. Night all. Pleasant dreams. And thanks again. :cheer:

Edited by Erny

ETA: When we got home I practiced his 'stand' before releasing him to eat his dinner. 'Stand' has been his weaker command position (although not too bad), but because it is presently proving to be his most comfortable, I'm making the most of it .
:happydance: typical trainer

hope he is feeling better tomorrow, sending good wishes to get well soon

I would keep him crated and quiet only lead walking to the toilet..

When my boy did his leg i did not take him to emergency for the same reasons as you mention, I gave him an asprin and let him rest over night and took him in the morning... Pitty it took 5 vets to finally diagnose his issue though :thumbsup:

I understand why you don't want to give him asprin, do you have any tiger balm or something similar that you could rub into his leg?? It may help him settle through the night, I even used to heat up my wheat bag and sit it on Diesel's leg when he was laying next to me and he was quite happy to leave it there....

If he was bouncing like you say then he possibly may have done his cruciate :happydance:

That is how my boy did his, bouncing around like a loony..

I hope he does not hold it against you for keeping him quiet until you get him to see someone tomorrow..

Edited by bluepoppy

Good morning :rofl:.

He slept ok, although got sick of laying only on his left side. He did manage to curl up on his right side at one point (without yelping, but with difficulty) but that was short lived and he awoke after an hour or two.

Don't tell anyone :happydance2: but he ended up being invited onto my bed (which he promptly took over because I was careful not to wrestle him into position due to his leg :happydance2:) and slept on his left side through the rest of the night.

He seems to be crabbing a bit when he tracks, and is still stiff and favouring his right hind, so a visit to a professional is a definite. And he did a couple of little 'jumps' in excitement over his breakfast (of course I was 'onto' the jumping straight away). That he still wants to leap is making me wonder whether that's how he did the injury. I hope it is that and not from the bit of tug that we did over the weekend.

Anyway, there still seems to be no swelling and he's getting around. Not sure how I'm going to work it today as I have to be out for a good part of it. Might close him into the laundry and try to skip back at some stage for toileting. I think he'd be fine to leave outside, save for the fact that I'll not be there and I think he tracks around a fair amount in those instances. Not to mention him cavorting when I get home.

I'd take him to see his chiro except he only practices on Wednesday afternoons and I don't want to leave it that long. So will see if I can make an appointment for him to see Dr. Charles Kuntz tomorrow morning. Charles has seen him before so will be familiar with him.

Thanks Isiss.

Have made an appointment to see Charles, but soonest I could get in was Wednesday morning. I've asked them to slot me in tomorrow in the event there are any cancellations.