My Boy Has Hurt His Leg

I've looked up "sacrodiliac" and can't find anything that tells me what it is. Google doesn't give a spelling option alternative on it either. Are you meaning part of his back bone or something?

I am presuming (if it is this) that it is something that can be "popped" back in - I really hope it is that simple although I'm afraid to hope too hard.

I think its "Sacroiliac" Erny. Fingers crossed its nothing serious for Mandela.

Darcy once did a facet joint.. he couldn't move without pain. It was resolved with manipulation. I hope Mandela's problem is as readily resolved. :wave:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhhh ... PF to the rescue :(. Thanks, Miss Wealth of Knowledge :). You never cease to amaze me with what's in your head!!

Well, whatever Mandela's problem is, I only have until 9am tomorrow to wait for the diagnosis. Fingers crossed.

I'm off to give Mandela an extra meal, seeing as he's going to skip breakfast tomorrow.

ETA: Hhhhmm. Just detected a 'hot' (well, warmer than normal) spot at his right hip, and some tenderness there. Maybe he's popped his hip out of place.

:rofl: ..... I gotta stop 'wondering' - it will do my head in. :wave:.

Tomorrow will tell.

Edited by Erny

ETA: Hhhhmm. Just detected a 'hot' (well, warmer than normal) spot at his right hip, and some tenderness there. Maybe he's popped his hip out of place.

:rofl: ..... I gotta stop 'wondering' - it will do my head in. :wave:.

Tomorrow will tell.

The heat will be coming from muscle. He may have torn it.

I guess I could go looking up what the treatment and prognosis is for torn hip muscle (whatever it might be called) ..... but I'm not going there. I think I'll be better off burying my head in the sand (to a certain degree) until I get things seen to tomorrow.

I guess I could go looking up what the treatment and prognosis is for torn hip muscle (whatever it might be called) ..... but I'm not going there. I think I'll be better off burying my head in the sand (to a certain degree) until I get things seen to tomorrow.

You are talking to the Queen of over analysing.. I'd be running every possible diagnosis. But yes, best to wait till tomorrow.. good luck!

He does seem to have a strong soul though going by the way he was still so happy and exuberant at the seminar :wave:

I know it doesn't help him to heal but I have to admire that spirit :rofl:

The spirit of Nelson Mandela (his name sake) me thinks :(.

Thanks Oonga, and everyone, for your good thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Update : Been to see Charles who checked his leg and found no sign of major trauma. Cruciate and hip seems to be ok. Charles did the leg extension and there was no yelping or other signs of discomfort. So :o and :):o. Prescribed rest (yeah, right) for another week.

I'm going to take my boy to our regular chiro for a check over this afternoon.

Edited by Erny

Erny could he tell that Mandela had hurt himself though?

Does he seem to think its one of those injuries like we do where we hurt a muscle or whatever and it just takes several days to get better?

Update : Been to see Charles who checked his leg and found no sign of major trauma. Cruciate and hip seems to be ok. Charles did the leg extension and there was no yelping or other signs of discomfort. So :o and :):(. Prescribed rest (yeah, right) for another week.

I'm going to take my boy to our regular chiro for a check over this afternoon.

:o

Consider physio also Erny. A good massage will help get the heat out of that muscle. :(

Erny could he tell that Mandela had hurt himself though?

No.

Does he seem to think its one of those injuries like we do where we hurt a muscle or whatever and it just takes several days to get better?

Seems that way. I guess if he can't even see evidence of injury it is pretty hard to make a judgment either way. I wish he could have seen Mandela on the day/night. He was most definitely in pain. I semi-feel as though I'm at risk of being considered a munch-housen (sp) mother :). At least Shoemonster was there to see the initial soreness and heard him yelp. It got worse later that night.

I'm following through with the chiro as a double check.

Edited by Erny

Consider physio also Erny. A good massage will help get the heat out of that muscle. :o

Thanks PF. Am considering it - want to see what chiro says first.

In the meantime, I'm busy adding years on to what would otherwise be my retirement age :).

I am presuming (if it is this) that it is something that can be "popped" back in - I really hope it is that simple although I'm afraid to hope too hard.

Hi Erny ,

yes it is a part of the spine its in the croup and affects movement ,there is also another name for it but i cant think of it at the moment :) a good Chiro will zone in on it nearly straight away.

Linda....

Update : Back from the chiro. He couldn't find anything wrong and from the symptoms I described suggested he had possibly cramped.

The thing being that he shouldn't be cramping. The chiro (who has seen him before) suggested something is wrong with him (and indicated with his hands the area of kidney/liver organs) but he doesn't know what. He put some pressure over the area and Mandela folded underneath it. The chiro said he has a build up of acid not unlike acidosis (sp). The chiro said (almost verbatum) "this dog is for the green dream" and not to keep going too long for my sake as well as for the dog's.

I know I've been having trouble with Mandela and that he's been a concern (in one shape or form) since day one, but I'm in shock.

Edited by Erny

I had already made an appointment to consult with Dr. Bruce Syme in Castlemaine ..... for this Monday (due to the suspected food intolerance issues we've been having, as per the other thread I have running).

Edited by Erny

Update : Back from the chiro. He couldn't find anything wrong and from the symptoms I described suggested he had possibly cramped.

The thing being that he shouldn't be cramping. The chiro (who has seen him before) suggested something is wrong with him (and indicated with his hands the area of kidney/liver organs) but he doesn't know what. He put some pressure over the area and Mandela folded underneath it. The chiro said he has a build up of acid not unlike acidosis (sp). The chiro said (almost verbatum) "this dog is for the green dream" and not to keep going too long for my sake as well as for the dog's.

I know I've been having trouble with Mandela and that he's been a concern (in one shape or form) since day one, but I'm in shock.

Goodness me Erny, I'm shocked. I'm all for telling it like it is, but that's a bit strong :mad

Hi Erny,

My boy did something similar several weeks ago. He was running and suddenly on three legs. I was sure he had done his cruciate or worse. :o I rang my vets who advised small dose of Metacam and to see them following morning.

My dog would have also collapsed under pressure on his spine.

It turned out to be severe muscular spasm in his back. Three visits of trigger point therapy, some Metacam, rest, stretching and slow walking and all is resolved. :mad

Best wishes for your boy.