My Boy Has Hurt His Leg

Erny I always use Dr Barry Haywood in Cranbourne South, he's a chiropractor and also a qualified vet. Ray Ferguson at Monash is also very good. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erny that is really awful!!! I don't know what to say except that I would perhaps go to someone qualified and suggest running tests on the kidney / liver area? :mad

Thanks all. I can't quite believe that Mandela has anything that seriously wrong with him that 'sending him away' is something that would even be contemplated at this point. He is so full of life and joy and has just done a spin of the yard (raking my somewhat damaged lawn) with his second favourite toy "Shrek".

Miranda - thanks for the names. I doubt that I'll stop even at only a second opinion, somehow. God ..... he's not even 1 year old yet. I'm a bit numb at the moment, so the only thing I can plan ahead for is the consult I've already arranged with Bruce Syme. Some have suggested I speak to his breeder, but I just don't see the point.

The chiro said (almost verbatum) "this dog is for the green dream" and not to keep going too long for my sake as well as for the dog's.

:o:mad What the? I'm in shock just reading what this person said. I would have been flabagasted to have actually been there in person when he said it.

Erny I had a rescue that was fine one day and the next was screaming her head off and crying, supposedly because of pain, and not putting weight on one of her back legs. I prodded around and the sore spot seemed to up under her hip. I delayed going to the vets and crate rested. After 2 days, of little improvement, I did take her to the vets and he found nothing wrong with her hip other then the sore spot that I had also found. Because she was young he said to continue crate resting. The next day the little bugger was using her leg like nothing was wrong and was totally back to normal.

Oonga - I had a Vet run bloods for "Total Body Function" back in early March. They all came back "unremarkable". I don't have the talent for reading test results very well ..... but it includes "Urea". That's for the kidney, isn't it? Not sure which one from the list relates to the liver.

Edited by Erny

Puggy .... On the night of Mandela's supposed 'injury' I too did much poking and probing and did originally think the sore point was in the groin. The chiro felt in that spot too and there was a bit of a 'yelp' from Mandela. The chiro didn't say anything about it other than to tell Mandela not to be a sook. And yes ..... he's a sook. But then, he's a RR :mad.

Edited by Erny

Puggy .... On the night of Mandela's supposed 'injury' I too did much poking and probing and did originally think the sore point was in the groin. The chiro felt in that spot to and there was a bit of a 'yelp' from Mandela. The chiro didn't say anything about it other than to tell Mandela not to be a sook. And yes ..... he's a sook. But then, he's a RR :mad.

Quite frankly I think you need a new chiro - what bullshit !!!!

Wow Erny,

I am not suprised you are in shock.

I think you need to take that piece of information pull it out and throw it away for now and take each step at a time. I like to know things straight but WOW that is far too staright!

I would consider a Bowan therapist if you can find one and you other appoint as you describe and go from there.

Good luck and :) to you and Mandela!

Oh by the way my son's name is Nelson, not after Mandela, but your boy always makes me think of my boy :offtopic:

Erny, you already know how I feel about what the chiro said to you. Would he say the same about a human child who was sick?:rolleyes:

See what Dr Syme says on Monday and please let us know.

In the meantime, please try and not let it get the better of you :laugh:

Erny - Ray is the vet I go to, (like a lot of others too for the same reason) he is fantastic. If it is joint related (or anthing else for that matter) he is my first choice. When Pink was in obvious pain and he was great with her. When he felt her she did whimper - not once did he say she was a sook he gave her sympathy and reassured her it was ok. She loves him as does Piper.

I think mondays and tuesdays are when he is in the office.

Good luck with Mandela - can not believe what you wrote earlier - I had to read it a few times. I too am all for up front, but I think I would have hit the floor with that comment.

Have you contacted Carol again, maybe she can come up with something to settle your nerves a bit until you see Bruce.

Will call you - I am picking up 20 kgs of fresh roo tails on Tuesday..

What's Ray's speciality?

Ray's a greyhound man, he breeds and races his own greyhounds and lectures on greyhound medicine and surgery here and overseas. Everyone at Monash is great, I won't go anywhere else and it's nearly an hour from here.

Good luck with Mandela - can not believe what you wrote earlier - I had to read it a few times. I too am all for up front, but I think I would have hit the floor with that comment.

Yeah - I felt my colour drain. I think the chiro noticed too.

Have you contacted Carol again, maybe she can come up with something to settle your nerves a bit until you see Bruce.

Me? Nerves of steel Erny? (At least I think that must be what the chiro thinks.) I'm ok. Better after a night's sleep. And, of course, the people here on DOL (and Kelpie-i, who I shared my distress with over the phone yesterday) make a difference, to be able to speak about it. So :rolleyes:.

I can't wait for Monday. I hate waiting. I hope Bruce can offer something that will progress towards working out what is wrong with my boy. I do believe his issues (even this latest one, if it is cramps he'd suffered) transgress to him not being able to process food properly.

Will call you - I am picking up 20 kgs of fresh roo tails on Tuesday..

Ok - will look out for your call. Would like some fresh roo tails (I presume they'll be cut up so I can fit them in the freezer?). I've had my boy on roo for the last few days, but he stopped pooing for nearly 2 days and now his stools are slimey and blackish green. <sigh>. I understand that 'green' colour points to liver. I just want to get through this next few days and be able to feed him something that's not too upsetting for him, until I get to see Bruce. Eagle Pack (who have been brilliant in their support but who are probably as frustrated as I am with what's been going on with my boy - I suspect it is not so much the food items that are the problem, but Mandela's inability to process) are rushing out some digestive enzymes for me to add, to see if that will help.

Edited by Erny

Ok - will look out for your call. Would like some fresh roo tails (I presume they'll be cut up so I can fit them in the freezer?). I've had my boy on roo for the last few days, but he stopped pooing for nearly 2 days and now his stools are slimey and blackish green. <sigh>. I understand that 'green' colour points to liver. I just want to get through this next few days and be able to feed him something that's not too upsetting for him, until I get to see Bruce. Eagle Pack (who have been brilliant in their support but who are probably as frustrated as I am with what's been going on with my boy - I suspect it is not so much the food items that are the problem, but Mandela's inability to process) are rushing out some digestive enzymes for me to add, to see if that will help.

That would be the red meat. Color is to do with what they eat. too much bone and it's white and chalky, too much meat and it is dark.

Calling you now. :rolleyes:

I was once told that any tinge of green in poo was due to too much iron :thumbsup: but I'm no nutritionist.

Rock on Monday :thumbsup: And the chance to see the spunky Dr Bruce :party:

Erny, you know you can call me anytime for a chat....!!!!!

Thanks Kelpie-i. You're a good friend to have. You know I appreciate it. And also to Andisa, whose ear I've also bent in more than one direction and who is helping me out with collecting food that might be good for Mandela.

And everyone else who has responded here. Phew. It's good to have people just to say things to. I'm not sure how I would have dealt with it last night if I hadn't had the outlet that I do.

I'm feeling more positive right now. And decidedly angry at my chiro (I think as a normal process of coming out of the shock and upset that I felt previously). Whether he's right or wrong - he might be a "call a spade a spade's man" but there was no need to hit me with a sledge hammer. What I do like about him is his chiropractic methods - kind and gentle yet effective. I can't take that away from him and cannot deny the good work he does and has done for many, many dogs. But it strikes me as less than responsible to say "something's wrong, I don't know what, but put the dog down".

Mandela, who didn't bode well on the roo mince I've been feeding for the last couple of days has returned to eating the EP Duck enthusiastically and I've fed him 3 cups .... one cup at a time. He's now full of vigour and ready to play. He's been tearing up and down my somewhat long carpeted hallway (leaving a trail of muddy footprints having come from outside :thumbsup:), chasing his ball (which he throws around himself). His leg seems fine - whether it is completely ok or just subtle enough that it's not completely noticeable is another matter. I am concentrating on digestive issues at the moment, but not to the complete absence of mind in relation to this more recent issue concerning his leg. It is possible that one is connected to the other, if the chiro is right in the sense that it was a cramp.

I agree Kelpie-i ..... rock on Monday.

ETA: I now remember that the chiro also told me that he thinks Mandela would be dead by now if it wasn't for the care I've been giving him.

Edited by Erny

Have just caught up with this thread Erny and I can't believe what this chiro has said to you. Yes you can call a spade a spade but you don't have to hit someone over the head with it. It's a wonder you were able to get home in one piece. I think it is ethically wrong for him to make that sort of pronouncement. The amount of care (or did he mean $$?) that you give to your dog is entirely your choice. You have a dog that has some medical issues and you've made a committment to care and help him overcome or come to term with these issues just as most of us would for any of our furkids or our human kids. Sometimes a dog is not "just a dog". I hope Mandela continues to bounce around (gently) through the next few days and his poos are just right!

Mandela, who didn't bode well on the roo mince I've been feeding for the last couple of days has returned to eating the EP Duck enthusiastically and I've fed him 3 cups .... one cup at a time. He's now full of vigour and ready to play. He's been tearing up and down my somewhat long carpeted hallway (leaving a trail of muddy footprints having come from outside :) ), chasing his ball (which he throws around himself). His leg seems fine - whether it is completely ok or just subtle enough that it's not completely noticeable is another matter. I am concentrating on digestive issues at the moment, but not to the complete absence of mind in relation to this more recent issue concerning his leg. It is possible that one is connected to the other, if the chiro is right in the sense that it was a cramp.

I agree Kelpie-i ..... rock on Monday.

ETA: I now remember that the chiro also told me that he thinks Mandela would be dead by now if it wasn't for the care I've been giving him.

I can't believe how blunt the chiro has been with you. They are such harsh comments!!

In regards to the cramp - it is a possibility. I used to get night cramps in my calf and often it hurt more 1 or 2 days afterwards with obvious heat and tenderness in my calf. If it was a bad cramp it oculd take a week before the aching went away.

Hi Erny, just wanted to let you know Im thinking of you and young Mandela.

I hope it goes well for you both on Monday (.....hurry up Monday :) ) and you get some answers about what is wrong with the poor little bloke.

I understand whats involved with dealing with a "ridgie with problems"...........so if you need another shoulder to PM - Im here!!

Take care over the weekend!

Rat (& Zola)