Diesel Has Cushings And Seizures

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are reading as often as you post about Diesel. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed. Poor lad it does seems like a bit of an ordeal he is going through, but hopefully the end will be worth it.

GO DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Loraine

Hi Everyone,

Diesel is responding really well to the treatment, I stayed up there all last week, on the weekend we took him to the sunshine coast hinterland, and when I brought him back to the vets on Monday, the look on her face said it all. She smiled and said 'look at his face' in awe, she thinks he looks so much better :)

So I am back in sydney, cat and horses to look after here aswell, and I'll go back up on Friday for four days.

Feeling really good about it all, as I was really worried, not knowing if I was doing the right thing, putting him through a month away from home.

He is scheduled to come home the Thursday after the long w/e, we'll be having all his favourite friends over that w/e for a welcome home party, can't wait to get him back here. He barked on the w/e, he hasn't barked in weeks, sounds silly, but I knew that was a good sign :)

Thank you for all the positive thoughts, you've all helped Diesel and I so much :rofl:

DW, fantastic news!! I'm very glad that it's a case of 'so far, so good'. It was always a risk and it looks like it might even pay off for you guys. The month away from home will be more than worth it. I can only pray one day you will look back at this adventure and laugh. We will all anxiously be waiting for the big verdict about whether the tumour has shrunk or if the radiation has impacted on the tumour. All the signs, to me, point to it being favourable. Gotta keep positive!!!

You know, even a silly thing like Diesel barking DOES mean alot. It's a milestone, and if it means something to you then embrace and celebrate it. I remember when Chloe had both her leg ops, she was confined for nearly a year... and the first day I saw her toddling off across the park on her first real walk after months of stress and worry - well to see her walk like it had never happened brought me to tears.

Enjoy every good moment. You should be very proud not only of the courageous Diesel, but also of yourself for supporting his recovery the whole way. :thumbsup:

Can't wait for more good news!!

Hey all,

Diesel is going so well, there is a chance that he has reacted so well to the treatment that he might not even have cushings in a month or so..

I've just left him there again today, and on the weekend he was playing with a big ball he found and fiancee and I had him playing chasies in the house (a bit quieter then he used to be, but still playing!!) so good to see him playful.

I go up again this saturday then stay there the last week with him and then bring him home, woooo!

The vet said that we won't know for sure if the tumor has shrunk until about 6 months or so when you can do an MRI scan, but she thinks that it definitely is working as he is getting better every day.

Thanks for all the kind messages, will keep you posted

DW thats great news

Keep up the good work, and enjoy your DW Welcome home party!

J :):laugh:

Hey all,

Diesel is going so well, there is a chance that he has reacted so well to the treatment that he might not even have cushings in a month or so..

I've just left him there again today, and on the weekend he was playing with a big ball he found and fiancee and I had him playing chasies in the house (a bit quieter then he used to be, but still playing!!) so good to see him playful.

I go up again this saturday then stay there the last week with him and then bring him home, woooo!

The vet said that we won't know for sure if the tumor has shrunk until about 6 months or so when you can do an MRI scan, but she thinks that it definitely is working as he is getting better every day.

Thanks for all the kind messages, will keep you posted

Wow DW, that news is absolutely fantastic!!

Sounds like he is doing much better within himself as well, and I'm assuming he hasn't had anymore seizures either? That's got to be a good sign.

If it can also reverse the Cushings disease, that would be an absolute blessing.

It will be a long 6 month wait, but if he's doing this well then you will just be glad that you have him for 6 months when the early prognosis wasn't that great.

Congrats on the great news, really happy for you DW, and very glad that Diesel seems to be feeling better and is happy.

Great work to everyone involved, including Diesel the little battler!!!

Thanks J - we need some puppy champagne for Diesel!

Kelly Louise, thanks for your support through all this, you and Loraine have been with us the whole way. He has had one tiny seizure last week for about 5 secs, hasn't had any in about a week, and before that he would have a tiny one every few days just for a few secs. Take us back to a few weeks ago, when he would have up to 7 seizures in 30 mins, that would last a minute or two, I can't believe the difference.

Even though we won't know for 6 months, at least we're talking 6 months now, we were talking weeks/months before, now we talk 6 months to years, so it's definitely all worth it. He'll be in treatment as I type, after this only 5 more treatments, nearly there Diesey!

DW - I've been following but not posting .... it cheers me to hear of the positive results you are seeing for Diesel at the moment, and the hope that the treatment you have sought has given you all.

Well done :thumbsup: and hope it all continues to just get better and better for you.

Erny

DW this is the best news for you and Diesel :thumbsup: I think it is great the support we get from the folks at DOL especially when our furry ones are in trouble. Six months will fly by, and I shall be keeping you and Deisel in my thoughts for a most positive outcome - all is sounding absolutely great right now :)

Kelly Louise, thanks for your support through all this, you and Loraine have been with us the whole way.

DW, you are very, very welcome - and you're right, we are all right there riding the highs and lows with you. I have been lucky enough to also have fantastic support, and made many good friends through my own girls health dilemmas on DOL - for which I can never truly be thankful enough. Now having been through similar things, I'm glad that you feel we have helped you in return in some small way.

I also admire the dedication you have shown to Diesel and his recovery. It can be very rare these days with the 'it's just a dog' mentality. In a world where there is much cruelty and sadness, we all love to see a happy ending story... and we are all hoping to see one with Diesel. :laugh:

Any improvement is a huge milestone... so his reduction in seizures must be a sign that you are both winning this battle, and hopefully the war too. :laugh:

Hang in there a few more days little guy, we're all sending the very best wishes to you. What a trooper to deal with it all and not make a fuss!!

• 2 weeks later...
My dear little Dixie was diagnosed in 2004 with Cushings and she had a pituitary tumour. She also had little turns. She lasted in reasonable health until July last year when she started having hallucinations and was very distressed. She was about 16 and had only been running round the oval a couple of days before, it was quite a shock.

She was a wonderful little dog but it was hell getting the diagnosis and very expensive and lengthy. She was on Lysodren over the 4 years with regular blood tests. She lived longer than anticipated but if I had my time over, I would not put another old dog through what she went through.

I had just gotten some new tablets before she died. If you would like them, please send me your details and I'll happily post them to you.

I wish you good luck with the treatment, I'm sure that things are more advanced now that a few years have gone by.

Hello, I am new to this forum and joined in the hope of being able to talk to others about Cushings disease. My heart goes out to everyone who is still fighting it and to those who have lost their much loved friends. Our old kelpie cross "Cindy" has been diagnosed with it and is deteriorating rapidly. Because of her age and previous chronic arthritis our vet does not seem to think she is a good candidate for treatment. Add to this the cost and the thought of putting her through a lot more misery and it makes the decision very difficult. I read "dogmad" your thoughts in hindsight about putting Dixie through so much and I take heart that maybe we would be doing the right thing in putting her to sleep before she suffers any more. Having said that do you still have the "Lysodren" available although she has not as yet had the full blood tests to determine the exact type of Cushings she has so I don't know if this is the drug the vet would recommend. He said there was no point in having the test done unless we were going ahead with the treatment. We don't know exactly how old she is as we rescued her from the pound but we have had her 10 years and the vet estimates at least 13 or 14.