What Are The Benefit's Of Crates

keels

Hi,

I'm new here, and we've just decided on buying a puppy.

We (my partner and i) agree on everything except for crate training......

I think it's a good idea to give him a place to himself, I remember both my family dogs (before they got too big) used to go under the coffee table as a refuge every now and then, and i imagine it's the same sort of thing.

I also think it's good for him to sleep in at night, as i'd like him to sleep inside without having to worry about accidents inside etc.

My partner however, thinks it's cruel to lock him up in a 'cage'!

I've read lots of articles about it, and printed them for him to read, but he still thinks it's cruel to coop him up (even though it will only be for a short time, and he'll get lots of exercise in morning by me and afternoon by him).

I'm wondering if any people out there with training or breeding experience can help me? or even just dog lovers/owners like me that have crate trained there dogs.

I'd like to be able to show him that people really do crate train dogs, and it's not cruel etc!!

Also, any tips would be good, as it's hard to get crate training advice in australia!!

Thank you!!!!

I've had to crate train my amstaff. He was destructive (and he would save it until night time) when he would chew on the walls!!! Crate training him means that at night he is safe and my house is safe.

He now uses his crate as a bed during the day .. if the door is open he will sleep in there of his own free will. He also knows that noone can bug him in his crate (its off limits to my 5 year old son)

Oops.. pressed the enter key :confused:

I havent a bad word about crate training dogs.

They are the best. They make it easier to toilet train the pup. Making sure you leave it as late as possible to take them to the toilet before going to bed, and if you get up through the night, take them to the toilet again.

Most pups will not soil their beds.

By keeping a pup in its crate of a night time, it stops the pup from destroying the house hold. :D

Dont keep the pup locked up inthe crate all day though, only when you cannot supervise him.

In the end the pup will go into the crate on its own accord, because thats where it feels safe. I have a blanket over mine to make it seem more secluded for her.

I did have to up size the crate to a large one now that she is fully grown. :D

It will take out alot of the stress that is involved in raising puppies. :)

Good luck

Right now I have a 16 year old Silky asleep in a crate. In another there is a twelve month old Staffy cross. A shihtzu and a JRx are sharing a crate and an elderly Foxy is in another. I haven't had any of these dogs since puppies, the Silky has been trained to use her crate in the past 10 months. They line up to go in and sometimes we have to chuck a couple out when it gets too crowded. It isn't cruel.

My Border Collie pup is crate trained. Good for night times and travelling.

I praise the day I discovered what a dog crate is.

We currently have 5 dogs - 2 adults and 3 pups. The adults love their crates.

They feel secure in there and its their place to go when they want to get away from the others, have a sleep or just chill out.

Crates are great for lots of things. If your pet has surgery etc. it is much easier to confine a crate trained dog. It can also become a safety issue. If for some reason your dog needs to be put somewhere safe where it cannot injure itself or has to stay out of harms way - pop it into the crate!

The important thing to remember is to make it a positive experience.

Our babies get given a chicken wing in the crate or a treat etc. and they soon associate the crate with something positive. We also pop them in there just as they are getting sleepy so they fall asleep in there and again - associate it with something positive.

Crates are a godsend!

Crates used correctly are one of the best tools of dog ownership,cruelty no .

The americans over use the crate which can become confusing & concerning tp people.

We have 5 dogs in the house that at night sleep in the puppy pen,they have full access to the house any other time but bedtime is that & they cant get in there quick enough at night

When we got Brodie, he was 8-10 months old, crating him was a neccessity. He had absolutely NO house manners(Brodie is an indoor dog). It took him a little while to get used to it, but after he did he loved his crate. When we were home we would leave the door open and he would wander in there to take naps. It was also a great way to help him with his housetraining, he still had accidents in the house at first, but that was our fault as we were not watching him closely enough. He also liked to chew things up, so crateing him kept him from doing that when we were at work or asleep. Brodie is now 3 yrs old and no longer needs the crate. He is completely housetrained and has earned free roam of the house while we are away. The only time in the last year the crate has come out of storage was when he hurt his shoulder and needed to be on crate rest to help with the healing process. Crates are not cruel. But like all things can be abused in the way they are used.

The biggest advantage for crates for me is the ability to take them to dog events, whether it be obedience, shows, agility etc and leave the dog in a place where they will be safe as you cannot be with them 100% of the time, even if you leave them only to go to get food, drink, toilet.

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences! :)

Skybreaker, your dogs are all beautiful!!

It's good to hear that the dogs themselves like being in them, and like to sleep in them and go in there of their own accord.

Now we just have to find one - my local pet supply warehouse place only had play pens!!! No crates, when i asked the guy looked at me blankly and showed me the plastic transport crate things, but I would prefer a wire crate, I told him that and he goes, oh a cage?? Grrrr.... no not a cage, a crate!!

And I just wanted to say this is a great forum, I'm glad I stumbled across it!!

That's a good idea, i hadn't thought of that!

I just realised you and Bow Wow had dogs from Cordelia's Canine Rescue! That's where we're getting our little one from!!

We're picking him up this Sunday cos he was too little to be desexed when we saw him.

Thanks for the eBay tip, I'll have a look!

Am i right in thinking they should be big enough for them to stand, turn around, lay down on their side and not much bigger than that??

That's the size I get mine ... it's easier for transport. I have larger dogs. You can get a bigger one if you want. I have friends with little dogs whose crates are more roomy for the dog - and still smaller than the crates I need.

What are the benefits of crates? Well, your house remains standing for one!

:thumbsup:

yeah, i figured that would be one biiiiiig benefit!!

Thanks again everyone, I love this forum, it's so helpful to be able to ask questions and get answers from experienced and responsible dog owners!

A big help!

Guest LittlePixie
Am i right in thinking they should be big enough for them to stand, turn around, lay down on their side and not much bigger than that??

Yes that's right. :thumbsup:

If they're too big, then the puppy may go to the toilet up one end of the crate, and sleep up the other end... which almost defeats the purpose of bothering with the crate in the first place!

You can still get one that will be the right size for Middie when he is fully grown too though - just use a piece of plywood (or whatever) to block off part of the crate, and gradually move it out as he grows.

Guest LittlePixie
It's got a sectioner bit so it will be fine for him as a pup (he's sooo tiny!)

Well hell!! How nifty is that. I didn't know they made sectioner bits. Excellent.

Apparently they do (according to this persons ad)!!

But if it's dodgy, or doesn't work well, i'll just use a bit of plywood like you said, or actually, my dad could make something up (hee hee, love having a handy dad!!)

Guest LittlePixie

Oh oh, you reminded me. Don't know how, lol, but you did - it's a good idea to remove collars while he's in the crate, just to make sure it doesn't get caught on any part of it. :thumbsup: