Help Needed For Rottie Girl - Ex Blacktown

Stefie

Some people may have read about this Rottie girl from Blacktown over the last few days:

BeautifulMay.jpg

Unfortunately when she was picked up from the pound seconds before PTS she was in a very, very bad state to a point where she collapsed. If you would like to read a little about her please go to Old Blacktown thread in 'Past Rescues' , update on pages 8 and 9.

Anyway, May, as she has been named, is at the vets now where her unexpected bad condition is costing a fortune.

The vet bill so far comes to $280 but will go up substantially with an Ultrasound planned for tomorrow to check on her heart.

They suspect that she has some heart problems hence a massive accumulation of fluid in her tummy. She is not pregnant at all as was first thought!

She has numerous sores and open wounds all over her from lying on the wet concrete for so long.

Please, if there is anyone out there who can spare a few $$ to nurture this beautiful girl back to health, please pm me for bank details.

Thank you very much everyone for opening your heart to May!

Edited by Stefie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has to say it, why did you pull a very ill dog from being PTS when you don't have the funds for vet care. Why not pull a healthy dog from the needle? I feel really bad for her but can't understand it.

Simply because someone was thinking with their heart...

After having committed to her rescue by phone and then finding her like that it's only a kind hearted human reaction to try to save her nevertheless.

It's called compassion.

And if some generous people are willing to donate to help her - a big huge Good Onya!

Thank you to everyone who as offered assistance so far. :)

Someone has to say it, why did you pull a very ill dog from being PTS when you don't have the funds for vet care. Why not pull a healthy dog from the needle? I feel really bad for her but can't understand it.

Jdavis, we know all the arguments and you have put them forward ad nauseum because you are generally the "someone". Funnily enough for people obviously so dumb in your estimation, we know that perhaps other dogs could have been saved instead of May, but Stefie, DABS and Seniors have been around for a long time and I don't think you are going to change how they operate and why should they change just because you disagree with what they do?

Back to May: can you let us know where she is Stefie. She certainly looks a beautiful girl and I hope she pulls through. Why is she covered in sores from wet cement? From the Pound? If so, surely they are failing in their duty of care.

Yes, it does. The compassion of the kind people who are donating. :)

Hypothetically though, if people didn't donate you couldn't cover the bill. So essentially you were taking a gamble that others would cover her vet fees. What if they didn't, did you have a contingency plan? Rescue run on emotion burns out fairly quickly.

Cynthia, I asked a basic question, can you please point out where I called anyone dumb?

If you take all of the emotion out of rescue there would no longer be rescue. Some people think with their heads some with their hearts. May's best interest is at heart and we wish her all the best and in doing so will forward a donation, because we choose to! :)

Edited by Bella Oz

Anyone who comes onto a public forum and sticks their hand out for money is accountable and if they don't want to be questioned they shouldn't ask for money in the first place.

I think it is reasonable to ask in this case, as a living creature is involved, what would you have done if you didn't get donations to cover her vet costs, did you have a contingency plan in place to pay the vet if people didn't give money.

My own opinion, it is risky for someone to pull a very sick dog and hope/assume others will pay for it. Emotion plays a role in rescue, but it is not enough to sustain it.

Why is she covered in sores from wet cement? From the Pound? If so, surely they are failing in their duty of care.

Three Greyhounds I have had recently from pounds have had sores - apparently from bare concrete. But this could also be from their former lives... One however had spent a couple of weeks in the pound and had ulcerated sores that looked just like these. I think it's probably more a case of the floors needing washing all the time to prevent disease spread, and they just don't get to dry... :) So sores, especially near their feet, ulcerate quickly.

All I could do was put antiseptic cream (just Savlon) on every day - then every two days, and try and keep them dry otherwise. It took a few weeks for them to heal.

It looks like she is actually very underweight - other than her poor belly! So I gather her bony bits have all rubbed anywhere that she has laid down and her skin has broken down.

Thanks guys for saving her. An excellent job, and I hope things work out for her. At least she must be more comfortable at the very least!

Edited by Nattylou

Back to May: can you let us know where she is Stefie. She certainly looks a beautiful girl and I hope she pulls through. Why is she covered in sores from wet cement? From the Pound? If so, surely they are failing in their duty of care.

She is at a very reputable vet clinic somewhere Western Inner Sydney I think. Please contact chinaplate for more information.

It looks like she is actually very underweight - other than her poor belly! So I gather her bony bits have all rubbed anywhere that she has laid down and her skin has broken down.

Yes, poor May is in a very bad way. She gradually got worse in the pound. With her suspected heart failure her peripheral circulation would be pretty bad. A healthy dog would handle lying on the concrete reasonably well but a weakened dog with underlying problems can deteriorate pretty quickly if not cared for and treated appropriately.

May is fighting for her life and I will offer all my prayers for her tonight. :)