Wishing To Hear From Those Who's Dogs Have Had Success Or Relief

update from us - after a gradual build up, we hit the 1ml mark yesterday for Porps injections. Unfortunately it seems we're just pushed past his thresh hold and he is covered in hives today. He's ok, just all down his neck and back and flanks is hivey. We've since been told this is classed as a severe reaction, so no more jabs for 5 days and we'll be having a new schedule sent to us next week, involving diluting etc. Strange how he was ok on .8ml, but 1ml seems to have just been too much. Silly boy - why can't things just be straight forward!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange how he was ok on .8ml, but 1ml seems to have just been too much. Silly boy - why can't things just be straight forward!

It's hard with the sensitive ones hey? One tiny kibble sized piece of food will give Zayda a reaction - I have to keep her nose off the ground at training and stuff because people drop treats!

Hope the new schedule works out...

Well we have started, last Monday to be exact. Poppy is coping better than me with the injections. Would so rather do horses and cows than small little things.

The first injection (.1ml) went well at the vets no real problems until the next day liquid poop, that had a strange sweet smell. Dose of lactobac powder from vets fixed that. Next .2ml was really flat 1hr after and the gurgling sounds in her stomach. Dosed her again with the powder and no running stuff. 3rd injection .4ml, she was just flat, 1 hr after with a runny clear nose but fine the next morning. .6ml nothing, she was fine. The .8ml last night i had issues with as I could feel it going under her skin and she has two needles with .8ml.

Compared to you guys we are cruising along with the injections. No major reactions, touch wood. All mine have been 2 days apart and this doesnt change for another 4 injections, where the fourth is 5 days apart. Then onto the next vial.

Poppy has not chewed her feet in the last few days which is surprising as she has been swimming in the dam and in running creeks through the paddocks. This usually triggers her to go nuts in front of the fire at night and on the bed at night. One other thing I have noticed and really concentrated on this morning, the gunk that has always been in her eyes daily, the amount is smaller. So maybe results............. or maybe me being really well ...hopeful??

So I will continue on giving the injections and feeling so guilty for doing to her, though she doesnt care as she gets treats after.

Glad to hear Munchin!

We're starting our dilution regime tomorrow. Fingers crossed he goes ok! And also fingers crossed there's enough there to follow the new regime and I don't have to order another 2 lots of viles!! :rolleyes:

Sounds like it's going well Munchin :hug:

Well seem to be on the same tract as you - tonight we are injecting .8mls of vial three and on Tuesday 1ml of vial 3 on Tuesday and a recheck with the vet so will find out what is next for us.

Stormie I have everything crossed that the diluted solution works for you guys! :cry:

• 1 month later...

Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining in, I have enjoyed reading you stories, thanks for the tip off First Time Puppy owner. Willow my Jack Russell has been diagnosed with Atopic dermatitis after having the skin allergy testing a month ago. The dermatologist didn't believe there to be any food related allergies and the testing showed strong reactions to all of the Grass pollens, Weed/Flower pollens and Tree pollens (except only a mild reaction to pine), she also showed a reaction to Moth and Ant. And she showed no reaction to Moulds or Dust. We have just finished our second week of vaccinations with no side effects yet. We are doing them twice a week for the first 5weeks and then 10days between the next 2 injections them every three weeks after that. The first 5 weeks is building up to the full dose. Greg Burton our dermatologist has said to use Elocon cream (V.Expensive!) twice a week for the first 2 months and then we see him again to see how it is all going. Luckily Willow's symptoms are mainly seasonal so I hope to have the desensitisation process well underway before Spring sets in, although her feet have been pretty bad over the last month, the Elocon cream is keeping everything else under control. Willow just has one vile, so only one injection for me thank goodness, I like Munchin am not soo keen on administering them. :eek:

Unfortunatly I don't have pet insurance unlike some of you much smarter people, although I am getting a few frequent flyer points for paying on my credit card :laugh:

Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining in, I have enjoyed reading you stories, thanks for the tip off First Time Puppy owner. Willow my Jack Russell has been diagnosed with Atopic dermatitis after having the skin allergy testing a month ago. The dermatologist didn't believe there to be any food related allergies and the testing showed strong reactions to all of the Grass pollens, Weed/Flower pollens and Tree pollens (except only a mild reaction to pine), she also showed a reaction to Moth and Ant. And she showed no reaction to Moulds or Dust. We have just finished our second week of vaccinations with no side effects yet. We are doing them twice a week for the first 5weeks and then 10days between the next 2 injections them every three weeks after that. The first 5 weeks is building up to the full dose. Greg Burton our dermatologist has said to use Elocon cream (V.Expensive!) twice a week for the first 2 months and then we see him again to see how it is all going. Luckily Willow's symptoms are mainly seasonal so I hope to have the desensitisation process well underway before Spring sets in, although her feet have been pretty bad over the last month, the Elocon cream is keeping everything else under control. Willow just has one vile, so only one injection for me thank goodness, I like Munchin am not soo keen on administering them. :eek:

Unfortunatly I don't have pet insurance unlike some of you much smarter people, although I am getting a few frequent flyer points for paying on my credit card :laugh:

You're lucky that Willow doesn't have food allergies added to the mix. We've been treating our staffy (who has food + plant + other allergies) for about a year now and have seen good results from the desensitisation shots. He also has a daily antihistamine (cetrizine) + fish oil which helps the antihistamine somehow. We're without pet insurance either, thank goodness we don't have kids so we can justify the expense :)

I've come in really late to this conversation (and havent read all the posts - sorry!) but my Spartan was diagnosed with atopy and he had the skin tests and was found to have reactions to grasses, some insect bites, and a few pollens and moulds... but he was also diagnosed with a chicken allergy (through an eliminationi diet)

He had the skin testing, and there was an improvement within a couple of months. He came off any cortisone dose within a year, and his injections stopped probably about 2 years ago. He only ever has minor relapse during the season changes, particularly this time of year when all the pollens come out, but the biggest problems we have is with some of his food intolerances which can affect his skin (he appears to have food intolerance to a few meats, with an allergic reaction only to chicken).

Spartan was really good with his injections and his special treat after each injection was always a minty of all things!!