Wishing To Hear From Those Who's Dogs Have Had Success Or Relief

Thanks for that info, I am not worried about the time just forgot to ask how long it took.

Yes the cat has allergies but its to almost all foods but it is my SWF that is being tested. She has gotten worse every year and this year I finally bit the bullet after reading some good things on here over the past year. She gets worse every winter, which i put down to wet feet and direct contact with the skin. But who knows exactly. Its just one of those things.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

A quick update from last night's visit to the vets I was able to convince the dermatologist that I can do the injections at home and that I will be getting welding gloves so that I can't prick myself with the needle (will only be wearing one glove on the hand pulling up the skin). YAY! I was turning out to be an hour round trip cause of the hideous traffic so I am happy that I can now do them without having to go out.

Now to actually do it :laugh: I mean I have injected myself before but no one else - yes I got training but still actually pushing it in is going to be quite scary! Wish me luck for tomorrow I have a feeling I will need it! :D

ZA - how are your guys going?

Stormie - where are you up to with starting the injections? And what was put in them?

Munchin - have you got the results back yet?

Well the vet just rang me. Ohh boy is the white fluffy in trouble. Over the phone she gave me a quick break down of what her blood work showed she is allergic too. Starting with horse meat (could never do that any way), egg, lamb, oatmeal, tomato, peas and damn it she is borderline but high for kangaroo!. She is allergic to a long list of grasses too and I will get the list tomorrow.

Now have to work out how I am going to feed them (all four) without 2 getting the SWF food, and the SWF getting the rest of the food. Its all fun.

Will take a couple of weeks to get the injections ready.

FTPO you will have to let me know how you go with giving the injections.

I am fine with giving them to horses and cows but little things that cry and tell you that it hurts is going to be a different story.

Edited by Munchin

Oh dear, not the best news :) Hope the injections aren't to expensive!

Feeding wise perhaps you will have to feed your other three woofa's outside and your allergy boy in the laundry. Perhaps take the list I have attached below of the ingredients of Artmeis Maximal Dog to your vet to see if they think you could feed this to him. Otherwise perhaps chicken mince and sweet potato and make it on a sunday freezing meal sized portions!

Also re the injection you just grab a bit of skin oull it up and inject there with a very thin needle - thus far Benson hasn't even noticed then! :thumbsup:

Hopefully the injections were in the inital price, I hope so. If not I will just go get an additional job for a while.

Feeding outside for my guys wont work, the feral cats around here are bigger than the Jack. I tend not to take any food out side. Old farm house, outside laundry that type of set up. Though i have enough rooms to lock one in each. I am nasty he he. Will sort it out.

SWF is a fussy little eater, has gone for 2 days without eating as she wouldnt touch the dog biscuits or anything else. So will give her beef mince as I know she will eat it. I am probably a bad owner as none of mine will eat vegetables, they lick and suck all the other bits off and leave a mess. We will adjust!

Sounds easy giving the injections, not like the horse, where it was a fist on the rump one two and three the needle went in and you attached the suringe. Still getting quesy though. Will let you know when it comes time.

Oops forgot to post the ingredients - bugger it has tomato's in it :thumbsup: But see what the vet thinks and if he thinks it's worse a try then contact Judith http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/contact.htm and she will send you a sample

Artemis Maximal Dog

Product Information

Chicken Meal, Potatoes,Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols),Chicken, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Kelp, Carrots, Peas, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach, Dried Skim Milk, Cranberry Powder, Rosemary Extract, Parsley Flake, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Barley Grass Extract, L-Carnitine, Enterococcus Faecieum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Saccharomyces Cerevesiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Protinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Not to worry there will something around. And I dont have the complete list yet, as there were other foods listed but was just a quick phone call from the vet. Will post the complete list one I get it.

Okay got the list. Interesting reading, she is borderline for 6 and positive for 16.

Positive for Ryegrass, Bluegrass, Yorkshire Fog, Bermuda, Dock, English Plantin, Wall Pellitory, Scale Mix, Elm, Meleleuca, Willow Eucalyptus. Fungi include aspergillus, penicillium, curvularia, candida albicans. Foods include horse, eggs, lamb, oatmeal, tomatoe, peas.

Borderline for grass bahia, careless weed, maple tree. Moulds nigrospora. Dust mites, Kangaroo meat and tobacco smoke.

Just under borderline are grass vernal, bluegrass. Fungi rhizopus. CAT EPIDERMALS!!!! (she plays with him all the time), Beef, Wheat, Orris root, orlon/nylon/rayon, cockroach, staph and lastly Malassezia. With just under its only 10 or less (ie 140-150) before it does become borderline.

Think little SWF has a few issues.

Now to wait for the injections and change diet and what she sleeps on, and I suppose I will have to clean the house more often.

Orbit had 32 positive/borderlines all up.

Munchkin - try not to place too much focus on the food results - most dermatologists will tell you those food results are not reliable - the only way to truly determine food allergies is to do a proper elimination diet.

Orbits injections are being shipped today so we'll have them by the end of next week :o . 3 viles though, packed full, which isn't ideal, but hey, we'll do what we can.

Orbits injections are being shipped today so we'll have them by the end of next week :o . 3 viles though, packed full, which isn't ideal, but hey, we'll do what we can.

Stormie - when you say 3 vials - do you actually get 9??? And if so do you have to give three injections each time?

Cause I got 3 but they contain differing level of the antigens.

Stormie - when you say 3 vials - do you actually get 9??? And if so do you have to give three injections each time?

Cause I got 3 but they contain differing level of the antigens.

Hmm good question! I'm not sure now! I'm sure we were told they can only fit about 10 different allergens into a vile. Maybe I'm confused though cause my invoice says 3 viles

Thanks for that about the food info Stormie, she has always been a fussy eater so I dont have to change that much. I am more worried about the grass allergies, living on an old dairy farm she comes in contact most days. But that what the injections are for, just hope they work.

I am so glad you guys are doing it at the same time as me.!

ZA - how are your guys going?

We're going well atm thanks! :) Had a bit of an "uh-oh" moment the other day where Zayda's fur all ruffed up (which is what happens, can't remember technical name lol, right before she gets hives) but it didn't progress any further and we've been good since - knock on wood! And Asher has been pretty darn good too... so all seems well. Zayda's immuno is progressing nicely, so all seems settled for now! :o

Munchkin - try not to place too much focus on the food results - most dermatologists will tell you those food results are not reliable - the only way to truly determine food allergies is to do a proper elimination diet.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say too: I would definintely do an elimination diet to trial those and see... you may find that they are not all things that cause him to react and you may find there are actually other things that do! Well worth the ED to test properly...

Hmm good question! I'm not sure now! I'm sure we were told they can only fit about 10 different allergens into a vile. Maybe I'm confused though cause my invoice says 3 viles

Yeah, they can only fit so much into each suspension... We have three different ASITs... but when you start you will get 3 vials of EACH ASIT in three different doses: start on the lowest and then build up to the full potency... So I suppose it would depend on how they label them... they might count the 3 of one type as "one" because it's just the one vaccine?? Be interesting to see what you get!! <G> Actually you should be able to have a rough tell from price... but you may not want to post that up... here (and I'm sure it varies from place to place) we pay about $255 per vaccine...

Yeah, they can only fit so much into each suspension... We have three different ASITs... but when you start you will get 3 vials of EACH ASIT in three different doses: start on the lowest and then build up to the full potency... So I suppose it would depend on how they label them... they might count the 3 of one type as "one" because it's just the one vaccine?? Be interesting to see what you get!! <G> Actually you should be able to have a rough tell from price... but you may not want to post that up... here (and I'm sure it varies from place to place) we pay about $255 per vaccine...

Don't mind posting price, but I'm getting it cost price through work so not sure if that will help? Was $250 I think...