Worn Down Teeth

Yet another problem with Diesel :o

I was giving him his tablets and noticed that his incisors are really worn down. The lower middle two incisors are only stumps :) . I have no idea what he has done to wear them down. He is 5 years old.

The main toy I use with him and Kaos are Ruffians

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.p...roducts_id/1875

Would this be likely to wear teeth a lot? Kaos's look OK, but he is only 3. If it is the toy, I want to switch to a less wearing toy, but not sure if that is the problem. I don't use tennis balls cause I heard they are bad for teeth. The dog with the least tooth wear is actually Zoe who is 9 years old. They all get the same diet of dry food and chicken wings or frames/carcasses.

My other thought was that since Diesel has bad skin, he is always scratching and chewing himself, and when they chew themselves, those front teeth are the ones they use. Is it possible that chewing his fur/skin for several years has caused the tooth wear?

I don't know why I didn't notice earlier, there is always something healthwise stressing me about Diesel :)

What was his bite like before the teeth got worn down?

I think level bites tend to wear faster than a scissors bite. But its just a natural thing and I really dont think the toys are to blame. It might be more to do with calcium levels to keep the bones/teeth strong? What do you feed him?

I'm not sure what his bite was like before :o Didn't really occur to me to look. What is the difference between level bite and scissor bite?

I have just moved him to Royal Canin GSD, before was on Advance, has been on ProPlan and Eagle Pack previously.

As well as Chicken Wings/Frames/carcasses

It could be that his teeth are worn down if he is itching and bites his fur. I have read about in a book about allergies.

It didn't occur to me before that hair/fur might be waring down the teeth.

Doubt its his diet then. Is he a nibbler of bones? I have dogs here who chew bones with their front teeth....which would wear them down faster.

I would not feel bad, it's just one of those things that happen. I have plenty of old dogs here with worn down teeth, broken teeth, missing teeth.....

its from nibbling his own fur. Hair is VERY abraisive and will wear down the incisors. We had a golden come into the clinic one day and his years of itchy skin had worn down most of his incisors nearly down to the gum line.

nothing you can do about it really just keep an eye on them that he doesnt break on off at the gum or it becomes infected. Dogs can live very well with few to even no teeth.

its from nibbling his own fur. Hair is VERY abraisive and will wear down the incisors. We had a golden come into the clinic one day and his years of itchy skin had worn down most of his incisors nearly down to the gum line.

nothing you can do about it really just keep an eye on them that he doesnt break on off at the gum or it becomes infected. Dogs can live very well with few to even no teeth.

lol Nekhbet seems like we are finally agreeing on something :thumbsup:

Thanks guys :rofl:

I was worried it might have been something I did. OH actually mentioned the chewing his fur thing, looks like he was right for once :thumbsup:

Poor guy now he can't even get a date :rofl::o

Thanks guys :rofl:

I was worried it might have been something I did. OH actually mentioned the chewing his fur thing, looks like he was right for once :thumbsup:

Poor guy now he can't even get a date :rofl::rofl:

We will get him a date, no worries. Just tell him what Rysup suggested :o