Castration Vs Vasectomy?

KitKat

I had already decided what i am doing with my new pup, i was just curious as to the pro's and con's due to the fact that i has someone in my ear about getting him a vasectomy rather then castrating him.

Kit

My male dog was castrated at nine months of age and he scent marks and cocks his leg and is still the dog of the yard. He always tries to protect his girls.....he didnt turn gay either.......that was a joke...haha.

If a bitch had a tubal ligation she would still come into season which is what people dont want so why would you bother.

not the mutilation that goes with desexing..Iwonder why.

Mutilation .......pfffffttt. What emotive claptrap.

If you think that removing testicles or a uterus is mutilation then you obviously have deeper issues than merely stopping the production of sperm or the ability to fertilize and ovum.

For many, desexing isn't solely about just the removal of the ability to produce offspring. It's also about decreasing the risks of certain diseases, as well as reducing sex/hormone related behavioural issues at maturity.

Only giving further info and clarifying in case someone reading this thread is trying to make a choice and may possibly be feeling 'guilty' about what they may be doing to their pets sexual psyche if they remove certain organs.

Gee i gues in your eyes ime an irrisponsible dog owner for wanting to get my dog steralized hey

No. Thats not what I think nor remotely what I was implying.

What did have me somewhat bemused was your seemingly odd attachment to your canines testicles.

Oh well it's just as well he got desexed against my wishes then.. 

:thumbsup: yep.

I was going to go past this ...... but I couldn't. :)

Sirmonsta - no one is disputing your decision to have your dog sterilised via a vasectomy as opposed to sterilised by castration. And, yes, the vet should have acceded to your request. So put your anger there.

If you see castration & speying as mutilation - so be it - others see it as appropriate surgery. What others have asked is for you to see their reasons in a non-emotive and non-anthropomorphic way.

It appears to me is that Cordelia et al are placing their reasons for preference for castration NOT criticising you for your decision. I happen to agree with them - however I would also support your choice - provided all the pros and cons had been explained to you. This is really about informed consent.

Aili