Castration Vs Vasectomy?

KitKat

I was asked the other day if i would be keeping my new dog entire, getting him a vasectomy or the complete snip so i just thought i'd ask the question... pro's and cons would be?

Up until now I was of the understanding they wouldn't do them here even though I know they can be done in at least some of the other states.

Just curious.

Kit

:p I went to get a vecectomy for my dog because he was 5 1/2yrs old, but they bloody nutted him anyway :laugh: i didn't want a eunoch,but now iv'e got one,and i dont think any less of him..Oh well why deny a dog his sexuality, they are sexual beings, what bloody right do i have (ime just another animal on this planet and a pretty destructive and interfearing one at that*our species*)to deny this of my dog..and as for scent marking so what!..YOU dont have to have the womb ripped out of a bitch either you know..Hmmm prostate & testicular cancer :laugh: unbelivable, maby all men should get there nuts chopped off because there may or maynot be a chance of getting it...I believe in STERILIZATION, many people should be steralized too,But not in interfereing with a vital hormone production of another species just because its(TO HARD)to deal with the sent marking,inter male aggression ect..... :thumbsup: :shakehead:

Edited by Sirmonsta

Yes, Vets will do Vasectomy on dogs but unless you are absolutely opposed to the idea of getting rid of the teticles (and they can put in fake ones anyhow) then there really is no point and it would cost the same- if not more.

No, you don't have to remove the uterus and ovaries of a female dog either- but you risk accidental pregnancy, cystic ovaries, pyometra (infected uterus) which is potentially life threatening, and mammary gland tumours later in life.

No, you don't have to remove the testicles of male dogs but you risk prostate probs in later life- then you will need to castrate anyway- or testicular cancer- and the thing about testicular cancer is that the average Joe Citizen wouldn't realise until the testicular cancer had probably already spread.

Yes, Sirmonsta- now that humans are living longer and more men are having prostate problems what are the alternatives....????? I think if you are still angry about what happened with your dog you need to take it up with your Vet, bearing in mind that most males that come into my clinic can't even say the word 'castrate' or even 'remove testicles', so the Vet/Nurses there probably assumed you meant castration, and if you signed a consent form it would have been written on there what surgical procedure was going to happen. ***********Sorry thread hijack*******

If you're not going to show/breed with your dog then the kindest thing you can do is castrate it whilst it's still young. IMO I would be upset if I was told to give my dog a vasectomy then have to castrate it at 7+ years when the anaesthetic risk is much higher/ the dog is undergoing surgery when it is already ill.

Kind Regards, and good luck with your decision,

Mel.

:thumbsup:

I've already decided to get my pup fully desexed as i think that will make things a lot easier between him and my older dog. I just hope he has learnt to lift his leg by then, or if not that my older dog can teach him to ;) .

I was just curious more then anything else in regards to the 'choice' :rofl: .

Kit

I just hope he has learnt to lift his leg by then, or if not that my older dog can teach him to  ;)

I'm assuming due to the smiley you are joking, but just in case.....

Why would you care if he didn't lift his leg, what difference does it make to him being your companion?

I really don't get all this macho crap with regards to male dogs, he has to have balls and has to 'piss like a man' - cripes like the dog cares!

Hehehe, yes i am joking...more or less, but considering of the three dogs i have at home only Bronx really squats, even Missy lifts her leg ;)

But it's not a macho thing, it's more just what i'm used to i guess, boys lift the leg and pee around the edges of the yard, the girls squat and have the rest of the yard for their convenience. :rofl:

The Macho thing was why Harm didn't get desexed till after he was 5 years old, it was like a personal indignity for my ex to have the dogs snipped. The ex went and my dog lost '2 stone', and now Bronx can lose his before he gets to attached.

Kit

I went to get a vecectomy for my dog because he was 5 1/2yrs old, but they bloody nutted him anyway(pissed off)  i didn't want a eunoch,but now iv'e got one,and i dont think any less of him..Oh well why deny a dog his sexuality, they are sexual beings, what bloody right do i have (ime just another animal on this planet and a pretty destructive and interfearing one at that*our species*)to deny this of my dog..and as for scent marking so what!..YOU dont have to have the womb ripped out of a bitch either you know..Hmmm prostate & testicular cancer  unbelivable, maby all men should get there nuts chopped off because there may or maynot be a chance of getting it...I believe in STERILIZATION, many people should be steralized too,But not in interfereing with a vital hormone production of another species just because its(TO HARD)to deal with the sent marking,inter male aggression ect..... 

One of the most ridiculous cases of Anthropomorphism if ever I heard it.

Here's an idea......... get over it! They were not YOUR testicles that were removed so why the attachment to them??

As for saying 'spaying' is 'ripping the womb ripped out of a bitch'......... ;) ugh.

Hmmm, yer ok,vacetomies & tubal ligation is available, and an alternitive thats all,it has nothing to do with being "MACHO" Hears an idea you get over it;theres nothing wrong with alternatives is there... EDIT:to ad reread my first post very *carefully*there is a not so hidden message in it...

Edited by Sirmonsta

Oh well why deny a dog his sexuality, they are sexual beings,

You think a sexual being is happier spending it's whole life with unsatisfied urges and unessecary hormone shifts?

YOU dont have to have the womb ripped out of a bitch either you know

No, but it's kinda hard to check for uterine cancers myself, so perhaps I'd rather it wasn't there, possibly slowly silently killing my bitch (with a tumour or pyo). And who the hell would want a bitch that cycled unless they were breeding from her, do you really understand the pains they are!

..Hmmm prostate & testicular cancer  unbelivable, maby all men should get there nuts chopped off because there may or maynot be a chance of getting it...

How many owners of entire dogs do you think actually check regularly that their bitch isn't developing mammary tumours or is giving their boy dogs a thorough nut check to feel for cancers?

There's no "may not" about it, if you have testicles you have a chance of getting testicular cancer.

PWAHAHAHAHAHA ;) THAT is exactly my point, ALL MEN GATHER AROUND IF YOU DONT WANT THE RISK OF DEVELOPING BALL CANCER GET TO THE DOCS QUICKSMART GET YOURSELF CASTERATED and one for the ladies QUICK HURRY IF YOU DONT WANT THE RISK OF DEVELOPING CERVICULAR AND MAMMARY CANCER GET TO THE DOCS FAST YOU"LL HAVE TO HAVE YOUR BRESTS AMPUTATED AND CERVEX REMOVED.....Oh please!!! Like i said i belive in steralization, not the mutilation that goes with desexing..Iwonder why.

There's a big difference between humans and dogs. Most humans will check themselves for cancer and go see a doctor as soon as they find a lump or feel unwell and as such can be cured generally before it becomes terminal.

Most dogs -

a) Don't have the opposable thumbs to do adequate mammary or testicular checks themselves

b) don't have the vocal ability to tell their owners what they've found

c) don't remember the directions (nor know how to drive) to take themselves to the doctor/vet

d) Don't have owners that do these things for them

Tell me, do you roll your dogs balls between the tips of your fingers weekly to check for any lumps? And do tell me how you'd check a females uterus?

Mutilation?! ;)

Kit, back to your original questions :D Yes, vasectomy's are available to dogs, but if I was going to bother putting my boy through an operation, I'd get the whole lot done and have him neutered. Remove the urge as well as the ability ;)

I do know of a dog that had a vasectomy. He has a genetic condition that does not affect his outward appearance but definitely means he should not be bred from. The owner did not want to stop showing the dog as they both enjoyed the ring, but definitely didn't want to chance any litter being sired by him. Totolly against the rules to show a dog with a vasectomy I know, but maybe a more responsible action than some breeders have towards genetic problems.... Because the owner also had entire bitches (breeding bitches) and didn't want an oops litter from the dog she had a vasectomy done on him and continued to show. Hopefully the owner is very careful in regards to when her bitches are in season and there aren't any oops litters, but sometimes dogs just have a way...

Castrating a male will remove any chance of testicular cancer, but it does not eliminate the chance of prostate problems. Reduce yes, elimnate no.

Also, castrating a male dog will not stop him from lifting his leg. My Labrador was castrated at 9 months old and started lifting his leg at 12 months old. I love the fact that my young Vizslas (2.5 years) doesn't lift his leg in the home yard. One less boy peeing on all upright structures...

Oh, and I regularly check the testicles of my boys :rofl: Something you've got to do if you're gonna let them keep them...

Personally i would have to say that most pet owners do not check their dogs 'bits' everywhere else yes but generally not the genitals.

I did when my older boy was entire, but that was partially because i knew there could be problems if not desexed but also since they were there he had to be used to his bits being touched so the vet could do it safely at his yearly check up.

Kit

Edited by KitKat

Whats the difference most humans check there pets over, if theres a problem they go to the vets for earley treatment just like people.

In an ideal world, yes!! Truth is many pet owners do not find lumps on their dogs until they are quite large. A big reason my vets still support annual vaccination (as opposed to 3 yearly) is so they can get their hands on peoples pets annually and go over them thoroughly. They are impressed with what I pick up on my dogs.. which of course are rushed in for any little lump or bump ;)

If you choose to keep an entire pet, you need to make sure you check them regularly. I wonder how many times the entire terrier X down the road that is chained in his yard every time I go past is checked....