Chicken Necks

katetk

Just wondering how often you could feed a dog chicken necks, could you give say around 2-3 necks (or more/less??) as a meal every day for however long?

Basically, i was looking at Harvey's teeth and i want them whiter, its mainly the molar ones (think) towards to back and his canines are just a little discoloured too.

Chicken wings are a no go cause he gags although if i do find a biggish one will give him a go (supervised) he is fine with the necks if they are choped in half or 1/3 depending how long it is, he crunches them all up. He also has lamb off cuts but they are also fatty and am still trying to get his system use to it as sometimes they give him the runs as he doesn't have it often..

Part of the problem you're having with getting Harvey white teeth is that it sounds like he's a swallower (don't be rude! ;) ). One way of dealing with it is to cut it into smaller pieces that he can hoover down, the other is to try and teach him to chew (and thus clean those teeth) by giving him bits so big he couldn't possibly try to swallow it whole.

As far as chicken necks go, it is safe to feed quite a few at a time, I regularly give up to half a full meal of necks (so about 350g).

thanks molasseslass, i have been in the process of getting him to chew bones again, with the help of greenies and finally finding a good bag of lamb bones it has been taking a while but he is finally is really getting down (over the last week or so) and having a good chomp on them and can even get through a biggish lamb off cut now. :rofl:

When i do cut the necks in half this seems to make him chew it where as if i give it to whole, thats when he swallows :D . I buy necks for the cat (who can handle anything :) ) and so i just cut a bit for Harves he chomped on it, so i was rather happy. But can you feed necks everyday for like a week or more, not as a meal all the time but was just thinking about digestion or something?..

His teeth are not all that bad but are bad enough to make me think if they are not better in a month or so he will have to get them done at the vet. ;)

Kitkat:- Will keep my eyes out for turkey.. after xmas should be good, dont often see it around my area.

Edited by katetk

Kitkat:- Will keep my eyes out for turkey.. after xmas should be good, dont often see it around my area.

What area? KitKat and I hit paydirt at a Rocklea butcher, they had turkey wings for about $2/kg and said they get turkey left-over bits from now until about 2 weeks after xmas.

But can you feed necks everyday for like a week or more, not as a meal all the time but was just thinking about digestion or something?

I haven't noticed any problems, especially if it's only a couple as a tooth clean rather than a meal. But it's always good to keep variety in a diet.

My dog chews the necks. She gets one in the morning when I leave for work. The vet had a look at her teeth last consultation and said they are fine on one side but the other side is getting tartar build up. Seems Millie only chews them on one side of her mouth.

What about those Greenie things you can buy? I had a sample packet sent to me.

Harvey gets one maybe once a week, it takes him a while to actually want to chew it though, the cat has to show an intrest in for hom to ;) . They are high in protein (think 52% protein) so if he does get one, it is as a meal. Some dogs can get an upset tummy from them, i haven't had this prob with them but just get the size relevent to your dogs weight. They are pretty $$ for larger dogs though.

I personally hate those Greenie chew things and so does Nova. At the expo i think there was a stall and me being me i was interested i ask if all dogs love them? he goes yes they all do. The guy noticed i had Nova with me so he offered him one, here i was thinking that he would take it and chew it. Nope he flatly refused it gave it a lick then wouldnt touch it. So Nova doesnt like them much to the dismay of the stall dude, as i always buy a few of everything that Nova likes and actually eats.

Thankfully he hasnt eaten one so i have never encountered a green thickshake in the yard ;)

Harvey does do the same thing your Nova did. Just licks it and leaves it, thats when the cat comes into action (i can't exactly return it to the shop once he has licked it LOL) he does this everytime i give him one (he has only probably had about 4 of them) He seems to enjoy them once he gets started but it does take him a while to show intrest, i even kinda of cut into it to try an make it perhaps smell more appealing to him ;)

The butchers at the Rocklea markets have the wings and most Woolworth supermarkets are doing the necks now, but they are prepacked at both places.

Kit

That's my brothers shop, tell him Ina send you and you want a discount ! Ask for John

:rofl: :D ;)

Edited by Christina77

Katek,

I have noticed more and more Turkey necks for sale in all the Wollies stores in Brisbane. Brookside has them right over the chicken necks they are in a non transparent sealed white plastic bag.

Last Saturday there were 6 packs left I believe they are becoming a regular item.

;)

post-22-1100665304.jpg

Edited by L.B.

Brookside is close, shall duck over. Turkey necks are rather large arne't they? So one or two could be a meal?

Also, and a bit off the chicken neck topic, but is anyone finding that the home brand sardine tins are dissapearing off the shelves? Everytime for the last 3 weeks (checking a couple of times a week too) i have gone to get some and end up having buy the $1 something tins. There are just none in the space tey are usually, but the ticket is still there with the price and brand just no tins?

EDIT:- The one on Sherwood Road.

Edited by katetk

Wait till you see the Turkey necks. I would hate to meet the owner in the dark.

I have pack in the office feezer (for emergencies) let me have a look.

Right the necks are 3.32 a Kg, ;) this pack weighs 1.520 kg and there is only 4 turkey necks yes 4 in the pack.

there is always 4 and the weight ranges from 1.300 to nearly 2 kgs each pack. It is like a very long think lamb neck.

Warning the bones are as tough as me. I have to sharpen the cleaver each time before I chop one up.