Fluffy Bum Trimming?

bobchic

We have a new addition to the family, Missy a Pomeranian :laugh:

She seems to get poop caught in her fur occasionally. I had read that we should trim it, but how much? Its getting to winter now and so cold.. I dont want her to freeze her butt off!!

Also, We have had her since Saturday, So still learning about her, and we are going to the vet on Friday to get her vac'd and checked out, but I would still like to ask.

She seems to be uncomfortable when she poops. She doesnt strain and it comes out eaisly, but she whines a little and then scoots along the ground after she goes. She will also lick herself down there. At first I thought it may be worms, but she only does this behaviour after she does number 2's.

Her anus is not flush to her body either, it protrudes by approx 5mm.

She was not purchased from a breeder (I know not the greatest thing on this site.. But just stating this so I dont get replies to speak to the breeder)

Any thoughts and tips would be great!!

post-28469-1242778953_thumb.jpg

post-28469-1242778975_thumb.jpg

I would take her to the vet - sounds like she might have some sort of prolapse or weakness happening, get it checked out.

As for the trimming - well I've not had a Pom but with the hairy beastie I did have I would trim the hair flush to the skin so that the circular part of the butt is visible (no, not the best look) with nothing overhaning it so to speak, then hold the scissors on an angle away from her body (points downwards and blend the long hair a little so anything immediately below the anus was shorter than the hair further away. You don't have to crutch her like a sheep, just a tidy up. To start with maybe just trim the bits that get dirty and you'll soon get the idea of which bits *need* to be trimmed.

You trim around the anus and then lightly on the longer coat if you must, but unless a great big piece of poop gets stuck to her hair, there should be no reason for scooting. Worm her, with a good all wormer, have her glands checked and her anus checked by the vet. If she is doing firm poos then it should not stick to the hair. I dont trim any of my Kees butts and I rarely have a dirty bottom.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

She has only had poop caught twice (the day we bought her home and this morning) But I dont want her to have some caught all day while Im at work.

So I will just trim it shorter in the area and see how it goes... I was thinking of shaving it, but will try a light trim lol..

I dont think its worms, due to none being in her stools, and she is young (8wks). I picked her up from the sellers house and it was a small unit with a concrete back patio (no access to dirt). So I think the likley hood of worms is 70/30 (possible.. but not likley)

What happens with their anal glands? I have seen a few people giving advice to check them.. But I dont understand whats going on with all that?

Thanks again for the replies!!

She is a great pup all in all. Yaps like a trooper, holds her own against our other puppy, and eats a good meal without an upset tummy. This seems to be the only issue. Oh and the fact she wakes up at 6am each morning and sings out to me (if you can call it singing lol) Im a sleep in person!!! I will then take her outside where both pups will do wees and poohs :wave:

Has anyone heard of 'Lactating Palates' in the knees before?? The vet says Missy has that and if she doesnt get better she will need surgery.

Does anyone know what steps we could take to help her along the way??

She is only 8wks old so Im hoping we have time to put an action plan in place....

Thanks

Sonia

(spelling of condition may not be correct.. My OH sent it to my via sms... )

Edited by bobchic

Hi,

You would be referring to 'luxating patella' which is when the kneecap moves out of its normal position. It is a painful and disabling condition which may only be corrected by very expensive surgery. It is a result of greedy back yard breeders who dont bother to withholding affected animals from breeding. After all, it's not the BYB who will be in pain or out of pocket. Poor little Missy.

Hi Bobchic, :laugh:

If you pop onto the health/nutrition/grooming forum and do a search lots of info about luxating patellas (i'm guessing this is what you mean?) will come up. I've found two threads that may be relevant to you.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...xating+Patellas

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...xating+Patellas

You have one cute puppy there. Best of luck with her. :rofl:

Hi,

You would be referring to 'luxating patella' which is when the kneecap moves out of its normal position. It is a painful and disabling condition which may only be corrected by very expensive surgery. It is a result of greedy back yard breeders who dont bother to withholding affected animals from breeding. After all, it's not the BYB who will be in pain or out of pocket. Poor little Missy.

After reading the information it appears it affects mostly toy breeds that are pure bred.

It has said nothing about it resulting from Back Yard Breeders.

Im sure professional breeders try not to breed from dogs that have this condition. But then Im fairly certain even they will still have dogs that will have developed this.

From what has been explained the serverity is put in catorgories from 1 to 4. stage 2 being borderline for needing surgery..

Thank you all so much for the links. I feel better at least knowing alot of dogs are diagnoised with this condition and surgery is not always need immediatly or ever.

Will continue to research though

Cheers

Very true from what I have been reading... I was just pointing out it was not only back yard breeders. It affects everyone, but mostly toy breeds. Of course registered breeders obviously discover the problem before breeding from the affected individual.

Missy is said to have the worse type (out more then in) but the vet still wants to take a wait and see approach. She said they would monitor it over the next two vaccinations.

How young can they have the operation to fix it?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. the information provided have been reassuring.