Alternative To Bones

~Anne~

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to feed Pugs instead of bones, or how to feed them safely? Perhaps what sort are better than others?

My dogs eat chicken wings but due to the nature of their breed, I have to continually drag bits from their mouth that they are choking on. More often than not they will regurgitate it themselves...eeewwww..... but I have to sit and watch them while they eat to ensure they don't choke. I have even watched one of them swallow half a wing and could see he was in pain while it went down but could do nothing to help him as he staggered around trying to get it down.

If I cut the wings into smaller pieces they hoover them up instead of chewing them and this then does not help their teeth. Chicken necks are even worse because of the shape... they hoover and choke on these more than anything!

Edited by mollycat

I know a few people say their dogs do not like them but mine love Greenies.

As the last 3 vists to the vets all related to bones I will not be using them much again.

The dentabones are good, as well you can also get large chunks of kangaroo tail in woollies supermarkets for $2.95 each and Godzilla my dog who can crunch a lamb shank cannot do the same with those. Turkey necks would be too big for your fellows but the bones are extra strong maybe cut them in half?

i've heard that chicken bones are terrible for dogs because they can splinter and lacerate the esophagus and intestines. bully sticks are good for chewing, but if your looking for something to clean their teeth try greenies or nylabone products. they make ones with bumps and grooves that clean the dogs teeth. also, ask your vet if they have the raw hide chews that have enzymatic "cleaners" in them. raw hide isn't great for dogs, but these are specially cut and processed to be easier on their stomachs, and they're awsome. you can see the difference right after they finish it. if your dog is choking on the bones, why do you still give them to him? that would scare me too bad. they make all kinds of treats that are edible and healthy that clean teeth. if they sell Nutro products there, try their treats. they make a treat that cleans teeth, and they work fairly well.

I have a nylabone dinosaur shaped thing, apparently chicken flavoured, Harvey really likes it although the head is looking a bit sudd so may be on it way to the bin. The are a little $$ but worth it me thinks. This dino one cost me about $20 from memory, online place would have them cheaper.

Dino.jpg

i've heard that chicken bones are terrible for dogs because they can splinter and lacerate the esophagus and intestines.  bully sticks are good for chewing, but if your looking for something to clean their teeth try greenies or nylabone products.  they make ones with bumps and grooves that clean the dogs teeth.  also, ask your vet if they have the raw hide chews that have enzymatic "cleaners" in them.  raw hide isn't great for dogs, but these are specially cut and processed to be easier on their stomachs, and they're awsome.  you can see the difference right after they finish it.  if your dog is choking on the bones, why do you still give them to him?  that would scare me too bad.  they make all kinds of treats that are edible and healthy that clean teeth.  if they sell Nutro products there, try their treats.  they make a treat that cleans teeth, and they work fairly well.

Cause Pugs being Pugs will choke on most things due to the gluttoness way they hoover it down and the shape of the faces. But.... yeah I agree and I haven't given them any wings for the last week and half as the last episode put the fright in me.

Does anyone know if there are any complications to feeding them smoked bones? The bones I speak of are some kind of large brisket(?) bone that is smoked. I have seen them sold at markets and did buy one once and my dog had a fab time chewing it over a 2 or 3 day period before I threw it away. It didn't break up and apart from the chewed corners, he didn't get through it and so I assume the splinter risk would not be there?

Edited by mollycat

katetk

Gosh Harvey is soo cute. Love that picture of him and his little bone. *awwwww*

mollycat

Youve been given some good suggestions. You know i saw they sell turkey necks at the supermarket so u might want to try that? As for the smoked bone you suggested - i dont think there is anything wrong with it. I bought one for my little one and she didnt pester me all night because she was obsessed with her yummy bone. :thumbsup:

Pooka37

You're right - COOKED chicken can splinter and cause havoc but if you feed the raw ones they're fine because dogs can break down the bones in their intestines so it doesnt pose as big a risk. Good idea about Nutro treats :scold:

aww shucks, thanks, thats him with his dinosaur thingy..

Greenies, you can pick them up at the vets and pet supply stores, they are green (LOL) shaped kind of like a toothbrush. Get the one recommended for your dogs weight, it will be on the packet, plus the smaller ones are cheaper. They are also high in protien so if my boy has one it is generally given to him as a meal. Just see how they go on them, it has been mentioned on here before that some dogs get an upset tummy, although i have not found this with Harvey.

If you do try them - harvey didn't like them and still doesn't start to chew at first i just get a knife and cut little slits into them then he starts and then its gone!

You could always brush their teeth... now thats a fun experience :thumbsup:

Greenies

Edit to add link :scold:

Edited by katetk

smoked bones are fine. i give my dogs smoked femurs, lamb trotters, knuckles, knees, and god knows what else and they love them. the only problem is that sometimes the greasy stuff can get on the carpet and furniture and it's a pain to get out. and some stain. the femurs seem to be their favorite. they last longer and seem to be a better buy. greenies are great. they only sell them at pet stores (i think), and they can be pricey, but they're worth it. it you microwave a big one for about 10 seconds, you can easily cut it into little bits and use these for treats. there are a bunch of "rip off" greenies that are jsut as expensive and don't work and the dogs won't touch them, so stay away from those. the smoked bones come in all sizes, so your puggies won't be overwhelmed by a huge femur. stay away from smoked beef ribs though. those DO splinter and i had to pull one from my parent's lab's throat.

I have a 12 week old pb staffy and i have been giving him bones ever day since he was 6 weeks old. i give him chicken necks, carcasees, wings, lamb bones etc etc etc. I always give them raw never ever cooked. I have never had a problem with him. I agree with zee8477 as a dog digestive system can process them no problems. Have you tried a chicken carcase so the dogs have to chew them up without swallowing chunks???

Chicken bones are not as innocent as some might have thought. They can and do splinter (even uncooked), can be caught between teeth and in the palate area between the jaws, have been known to pierce the roof of the mouth and internal parts. It certainly is not going to affect every dog. But, there are some risks, particularly with some dogs. Keep in mind also that as a dog ages, its ability to break down bones in the bowel is reduced (enzymes change with age). This can lead to compacting. So much depends upon the individual. I have some dogs that cannot cope with any type of bones. Others who are at this moment munching happily away.

If in doubt, find alternatives, and there have been some great ones here already.

:laugh:

JMHO

Hi there,

I was looking after a 2 year old female pug for a while and she also had great trouble with chicken wings. I got her thigh chicken thigh bones ( some are small ) and she had no trouble at all. At first it took her a while to eat one but she quickly mastered it. I started her on the small thigh bones but after one week she could handle any size. I hope this helps.

I did a deal with my butcher and I buy a 23kg box of necks for $1 kg ($23). These are good as they are the WHOLE neck and they come with plenty of meat on them. Being the WHOLE neck they can gnaw until their hearts content and get the meat off but they can't get through the bone so there is no chance of splittering or bits being of bone being pulled off and the gnawing keeps their teeth clean.

That way when I get my bones, I know the WHOLE box is WHOLE necks and I'm not getting scrag and left over sharp bones left over from what they've cut off their t.bones etc....

I find that the "dinosaur" bones (marrow) are too heavy for the youngster to carry around.

Brisket was too hard to come by.

I don't mind the lamb flaps, good fat builders but very expensive and hard to come by.

I used to give my stafford smoked roo tail - but one day I had to put my fingers down his throat to pull out a sharp one as he was gagging on it and looked like he was having trouble getting it out himself. So no more smoked bones in this house. He is a bit on the fussy side (because he is well fed) and tends to turn his nose up a raw bones of any description so now it he is supervised with raw hide and he has dentabones...

Jodie