Dangerous Dog Laws & Schutzhund

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there is a clause in Australian laws of responsible ownership

A person shall not set or allow a dog to rush at, attack, worry or put in fear, any person or animal.

There is another one about training a dog to do as well, but Its too late for me to find that reference.

I know there is a battle currently happening in Vic about this, but they are fighting the laws.

Remember Shutzhund is a dog sport that is trained purely on equipement based and not to attack any other part of the body other than the arm. What state are you in, I might be able to point you in the right direction with the sport.

Also, not all dogs are allowed to compete, there is only a selected few. The rules are the same as showing too, dog must be pedigree and an entire.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they don't have to be entire? Not sure about the pedigree bit - don't think they have to be pedigree though. Do have to be one of several breeds to do the character work part, but I think other breeds can do the obedience and tracking components.

I know there is a battle currently happening in Vic about this, but they are fighting the laws.

Unless there is a new court case going on then no they are not, the court case is over and has been over for quite sometime. I do not know of any other movement from anyone involved with Schutzhund in Australia to get laws changed.

Also, not all dogs are allowed to compete, there is only a selected few. The rules are the same as showing too, dog must be pedigree and an entire.

To trial the dog needs to be pedigree, you can train with any breed of dog aslong as the club lets you.