Scooters? For Running Dogs

Anyone have any brands or suppliers that sell a scooter or something that i can run the GSD's with...already have the pulling harnesses just need something for them to pull...and i can't keep up :) The roller blades aren't bad - but i'm not dealing with sudden changes to ground type well with them :rofl:

ETA - i'm talking about the ones with the big chunky wheels but foot powered rather then electric etc...lol

Edited by KitKat

You are very brave!!! I could imagine what would happen to me on rollerblades with 1 dog let alone more...I have enough trouble stopping when it's just me by myself. :) I never used to be like that...it's that psychological fear thing that happens sometime in your early 20's when you realise you're not immortal. :rofl:

Anyway...here you go Windchill scooters and carts.

I've seen people with dogs attached to the front of bikes before, to the upright bit above the front wheel/under the handlebars. I guess with a bike you can pedal to help the dog on the hills, or brake if you need to. It might be relatively easy to DIY, if you've got an old mountain bike.

I got a 2nd hand kickbike off ebay for about $200. They come up fairly often, was one there about a month ago and it didn't sell so have a look. Kickbike's are the ones with the big front wheel and the little back wheel. Mine is technically a road bike so I took it to a bike shop and got a chunky tire put on the front.

I got all my gear about 5 years ago as I thought it looked fun and I thought it would be easy to train. Turned out my dogs wouldn't pull so all the gear has been gathering dust. About a month ago the husky club had a beginners day down at Wingello and I went along. Jack still wouldn't pull, let my Kelpie take all the strain. My kelpie (who wan't born when I got all the gear) turned out to be great. She got so hyped she was barking her head off and loved it. I had taken her and Jack around the track during the beginner session and then figured out I was allowed to enter the 'proper' races too so we went in the ladies race. She was going off, clawing the ground to get going. Husky people thought it was quite amusing. I'm glad we weren't first out though as she liked to chase the teams ahead. Considering that she was the only dog in the race that had already run that day, we came third and beat a whole lot of 'proper' sledding dogs.

The next weekend I took her and the scooter down to the park to have another go and damned if it doesn't work without teams to race against. She would line-out ok but as soon as we start off, she'd slip sideways and come back to run next to the scooter like when she's running next to my bicycle. Seems she will only haul the scooter during the hype of a race. Either that or I need someone else there with another bike/scooter and a dog for her to chase.

It was interesting, I could use herding words to turn her while we were racing and use flyball words to rev her up at the start. I didn't need to try new commands. Definetely going to persevere but might just have to attend husky events for a while, meanwhile stick to the bicycle and springer around home.

Jo