I've Fallen In Love

They can just be high mainenance in a kennel or daycare situation :rofl:

Destructive (chewed fences, put holes in the walls), noisy, mouthy, take your fingers off for a treat or toy, pushy with the other dogs, play rough, very strong and pull on lead, dig in water bowls making floors slippery.

Just fairly naughty big boofers :rofl:

I understand that everyone has the right to an opinion, and of course not everyone is going to like the same types of dogs, but have to say that this is a definite overgeneralisation of the breed. :rofl:

Perhaps the "type" of owners should be looked at rather than the breed of dog. Are the owners of these dogs ones that don't spend much time with their dogs, training etc and see daycare as an alternative to interacting/training their pets. Are they including them as part of the family?

There are types of dogs that I don't like due to interactions that I've had with them, however I wouldn't ever say that all dogs of that breed are the same, as I'm sure for every bad one i've met there, would be a great one out there, so how would it be fair of me to say that every dog from that breed fits into the same box or deserves that label :thumbsup::)

It may be an overgeneralisation of the breed but I'm going to back Kavik up here. I managed a dog boarding kennel and over the years met hundreds and hundreds of different labs. I doubt you'd find a kennel worker out there who doesn't have labs at the top of their list to stay away from. Don't get me wrong Scout is lovely, but a lot of people see Labs as a great family dog (which they are) and don't spend the time training them. Its then that problems go wrong.

My own aunt was one of those people that bought a lab and really shouldn't of - shes never listened to me regarding dogs. They rehomed their last dog (a lab) at 12 months because she was uncontrollable.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just my experience with the Labs we had in at daycare (and is consistent with my experience with Labs at parks as well, <>We had a LOT of Labs come in. Can't have just have been my perception, all staff at the daycare thought the same thing, and from poocow's post, other people who are involved in boarding have a similar experience.

Yep, I find that with grooming. Too much for me and unless I've had a quiet work week, I usually refer Labs elsewhere.

That is just my experience with the Labs we had in at daycare (and is consistent with my experience with Labs at parks as well, <>We had a LOT of Labs come in. Can't have just have been my perception, all staff at the daycare thought the same thing, and from poocow's post, other people who are involved in boarding have a similar experience.

Yep, I find that with grooming. Too much for me and unless I've had a quiet work week, I usually refer Labs elsewhere.

grooming :thumbsup: Labs are the easiest, bath, quick towel down and off you go, and they only need to be done a couple of times a year.

Labs aren't for everyone but they are my pick of the breeds and yes i agree there are a lot of badly behaved ones out there. They can view everything in life full on but give me that any day over a snappy unpredictable small dog.

Each to there own, if we all liked the same thing life would be boring.

They can just be high mainenance in a kennel or daycare situation :)

Destructive (chewed fences, put holes in the walls), noisy, mouthy, take your fingers off for a treat or toy, pushy with the other dogs, play rough, very strong and pull on lead, dig in water bowls making floors slippery.

Just fairly naughty big boofers :rofl:

I understand that everyone has the right to an opinion, and of course not everyone is going to like the same types of dogs, but have to say that this is a definite overgeneralisation of the breed. :rofl:

Perhaps the "type" of owners should be looked at rather than the breed of dog. Are the owners of these dogs ones that don't spend much time with their dogs, training etc and see daycare as an alternative to interacting/training their pets. Are they including them as part of the family?

There are types of dogs that I don't like due to interactions that I've had with them, however I wouldn't ever say that all dogs of that breed are the same, as I'm sure for every bad one i've met there, would be a great one out there, so how would it be fair of me to say that every dog from that breed fits into the same box or deserves that label :thumbsup::)

It may be an overgeneralisation of the breed but I'm going to back Kavik up here. I managed a dog boarding kennel and over the years met hundreds and hundreds of different labs. I doubt you'd find a kennel worker out there who doesn't have labs at the top of their list to stay away from. Don't get me wrong Scout is lovely, but a lot of people see Labs as a great family dog (which they are) and don't spend the time training them. Its then that problems go wrong.

My own aunt was one of those people that bought a lab and really shouldn't of - shes never listened to me regarding dogs. They rehomed their last dog (a lab) at 12 months because she was uncontrollable.

That's what gets me frustrated it's mainly human error causing the problems and label that the dogs have to live with. :rofl:

Sadly I can see why. :rofl: I have to admit, I cringe if I see a Lab at the beach, and I normally try to avoid them as much as possible. Unfortunately, many of their owners have no or little control over them and are happy to see their dog having a total free for all as long as it tires their dogs out.

There are dogs that seem to get away with minimal or next to no training. Labs are not one of them. :) That's not a reflection on the breed, it's a reflection on their owners who only saw a cute Lab puppy (and I think that is one issue - they are incredibly cute as puppies!) and don't understand that they don't train themselves and that they are very energetic dogs. I think they see Guide Dogs and these overweight couch potatoes, merge them in their heads and think that they'll end up with a puppy who comes fully trained already and only needs exercising when they can be bothered. :rofl::rofl:

For you guys who own well-behaved Labs, a big well done to you. :thumbsup: Be proud that your dog is a great representative of the breed, of what they can be when they are well trained and exercised and not overfed. :)

grooming :thumbsup: Labs are the easiest, bath, quick towel down and off you go, and they only need to be done a couple of times a year.

Exactly what I was thinking :) Why do Labs need to be taken to be groomed?!?! Or are you talking just bathing? If so, again, it's down to owners. I've had nothing but lovely comments on having both my girls hydrobathed at the vets. They just stand there.

For you guys who own well-behaved Labs, a big well done to you. :thumbsup:Be proud that your dog is a great representative of the breed, of what they can be when they are well trained and exercised and not overfed. :)

What's the point when they're all lumped in the one category? :rofl:

I may as well let my girls run riot and quit training now, and feed them up nicely.

I'm not saying my girls are perfect, they are far from it and do have the exuberant Lab personality that some people aren't that big a fan of, but give me full of life anyday :rofl: Some of the "typical Lab traits" that have been mentioned here are displayed by many breeds, it's called being a dog! :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

I don't think Kavik meant any harm by her comments, there are positives and negatives to every breed. The first thing I tell people when they ask about either of my breeds are the downsides, and that involves those bad aspects that can become worse if they don't get appropriate training. Both of my breeds can be stubborn, strong willed, can be a nightmare to train, destructive if not given a far amount of mental and physical stimulation etc. There's a reason you see quite a few dogs of my breeds in rescue. And yep, of course many of these things aren't a real problem when they have the right owner but that's why we talk about the downsides, isn't it? So people can chose the right breed for them.

I'm not insulted when people talk about the downsides to my breeds, I would rather prospective owners are aware of the challenges that come with them than buy one only knowing the good things or having unrealistic expectations.

ETA: I won't ever own a lab and it's not because I think they are a bad breed, just that they aren't for me. Just as many people have no desire to own Sibes or beagles :thumbsup: But you also can't deny that there are negative qualities in every breed and many of these negative qualities can turn into behaviourial problems if they don't have the right owner.

Edited by huski

Agree with BM, very diplomatic Huski and a much appreciated post :thumbsup:

Us Lab owners do realise they have downsides and aren't for everyone! But we just aren't keen on certain generalisations as they describe many dogs, and/or describe dogs that have been let down by their owners.

Edited by RubyStar

Hehe, thanks :thumbsup:

I think sadly many people picture labs as the perfect family dog, which I'm sure they can be for the right family, but they think they are an easy breed to own. I see families struggling with labs quite often at obedience club etc. I see many that are in your face pushy dogs at off leash areas, that are allowed to act that way because their owner is blind to the idea that labs can be anything other than friendly. I don't see them as an easy breed to own, they are a large gun dog that needs regular exercise and training to be able to become that ideal family dog. I think many people buy them without thinking about the training, exercise and other requirements that come along with them.

I agree that the things that Kavik mentioned can be seen in any dog but I also think many a lab could act like that if not matched with the right owner. I think a lot of those traits can exist in labs, they just require the right owner to manage them so they don't become a problem :)

ETA: Things like mouthyness and getting into water are typical gundogs traits, aren't they? So I can see how labs can be prone to those behaviours in a negative way if allowed to, because it's often an instinctive thing. Just like my Siberian can be prone to stubborness, not because he's a bad dog or the breed is bad but they were bred to be independent thinkers.

I'm another one whose run into quite a few in your face, pushy labs in off leash areas etc and I think it's combination of the fact they are big exuberant dogs and owners can be a bit slack when training them because there is that perception that labs are "easy" dogs, you know, labs can't possibly be dominant or agro because they are labs and are supposed to love everyone.

Edited by huski

I must have the complete opposite experience with labs! I have never met a lab that I didn't love and have bordered on stalking a few (there is one which brings in the paper for his owner every morning and he just makes me go all squeeee when I see him)! The ones I have met are either super friendly/jolly or are complete huggable teddy bears!

I have to admit I am kind of relieved when I meet a lab at the dog park because I find them very friendly and don't need to worry about random berserk behaviour.

I am not attacking Labs, sorry if it comes off that way :laugh:

I am simply saying that in the environment at work that they were difficult. Their exuberance and size and strength when combined with a large number of other dogs, and a small space, can make them more work than some other breeds. It is a very stimulating and exciting environment, and excited energetic large dogs that are not worried about running into things in this environment are a lot more work.

I don't think my breeds are suitable for the daycare environment at all. I saw several Kelpies come in (and BCs) and they were not comfortable or happy in the daycare environment. They don't enjoy it nearly as much as the Labs :)

I went to the SAR demo with K9 Force and the Labs there were amazing! Very fast, determined and good at their job. I see many doing detection work with the police too. They can be great dogs, and my first post was stating how much I liked one of the dogs at work. The OP was asking if you had liked a dog you worked with that surprised you.

They just are not my cup of tea, as you said it would be boring if we all liked the same thing :rolleyes: I am also more of a fan of more streamlined, agile dogs (hence why I have Kelpies). Doesn't mean that I think chunky dogs are horrible, I just prefer a leaner build. OH prefers chunky Staffy types and prefers my GSD to the Kelpies. I am finding I prefer the Kelpies. Kelpies have their negative points as well, all breeds do, it just comes down to what you prefer, what you want to do and what you can live with.

OK let me put it a different way . . .

Say you worked in a place that had a play area/party room where parents dropped off their kids (mainly teenagers) to play and you looked after them.

There were heaps of different toys (balls, frisbees, climbing equipment, books, etc)

Some types of kids that came in were:

Footballers, gymnasts, tennis players, swimmers, runners, etc and those that preferred to read books, play computer games, play chess, write stories etc

Who do you think would need the most supervision to ensure they didn't play too rough, accidentally hurt themselves or other people or damage property (toys, walls, windows, play equipment)?

Does this mean you think they are bad? No. Does this mean you hate them? No. Does this mean you may sigh inwardly when you know you are going to have several in that day? Yes.

Also, who do you think you will have to watch on the other side of the scale? To make sure they have a quiet corner away from rough play, to help them come out of their shell, to make sure they are having a good time?

That is sort of what it was like at the daycare.

I had a think about this thread and I think i see where the problem lies.... Labs are one of the most popular dogs so you see them often, and lets be honest there are many dog owners out there who dont bother to train their dogs, so people see all these labs and think they are so bad when in fact if the same number of people had any other bred of dog we would be saying the same thing about them! I have a Ridgeback in RSA and let me tell you she would make Marley in Marley and me look like an angel but not all ridgebacks are like that. In general you cannot really stereotype a beed of dog because all dogs are individuals.

For you guys who own well-behaved Labs, a big well done to you. :laugh:Be proud that your dog is a great representative of the breed, of what they can be when they are well trained and exercised and not overfed. :)

What's the point when they're all lumped in the one category? :laugh:

I may as well let my girls run riot and quit training now, and feed them up nicely.

I'm not saying my girls are perfect, they are far from it and do have the exuberant Lab personality that some people aren't that big a fan of, but give me full of life anyday :rolleyes: Some of the "typical Lab traits" that have been mentioned here are displayed by many breeds, it's called being a dog! :laugh:

I actually look at it the other way round and agree with what Jess said. I own a SBT cross, "staffies" as everyone knows are a popular dog also prone to stereotyping. Just yesterday a woman said to me "staffies are different from other dogs they are more primeval they just turn" :cheer:

Obviously that is an extreme view (but her dog had in the past been attacked by what she said was a 35kg (!!!) "staffy" and had severe nerve damage so obviously that coloured her view.

But instead of getting defensive, I try to look at it this way, the stereotype does have some foundation, lots of people get staffords for the wrong reasons, like labs they can be overexhuberant, they are not an "easy" dog to own and they need attention, exercise and discipline otherwise they will not grow up to be good canine citizens.

That is why I try to may sure that my dog is a good example of the good side of the breed. I am not going to defend every stafford because there are some dodgy ones out there who (through the fault of their owners same way as labs can be overweight or over exhuberant) are dog aggressive, or over exhuberant and a general PITA.

Saying all staffys are wonderful snugglebums and I can't understand why everyone wouldn't want them is doing a disservice to the breed IMO, we want to attract the right kind of owners who will put the time in not the wrong.

Getting back to labs I think that a lot of people do view them as the easy family dog (and don't get me wrong there are many lab traits that warrant this tag) and won't put the time in to exercise and train them. Like SBT's there are also a fair few BYB's of labs out there who would sell a dog to anyone without taking the time to see whether they are a suitable home.

Kavik i understand what you are saying and many of the things you have said are true for some and dare i say a lot of Labs, they are a big dog with a huge love of life and this can be off putting for a lot of people.

I really don't mind that some people don't consider them to be a breed they would own, i would never consider owning a small breed, there just not for me.

I worked in Veterinary hospitals for many years and under those conditions have had very few positive experiences with many of the small breeds of dogs yet had i had exposure to them under different conditions my opinion of them may be quite different.

The same could be said for many of the kennel and daycare workers out there, if they were to experience Labs in training for the blind, custom and police work or there home environment their opinion of them may be quite different as well.

Each to their own, whether you love em or hate em makes no difference to me, They are etched deeply in my heart and i will love them until i leave this earth, and no matter what other people think or say, no matter how many shoes get eaten, how much hair i have to sweep up, how many plants i have to replace or how many holes i have to fill in.........

nothing will break my love of the Labrador.

Edited by Lab lady

Well There is one common link that we all have in this thread,

It's that we all agree that on most occasions it's the humans that need a kick up the bum. :laugh:

and that individuals need to research any breed properly before they buy them to make sure they fit their lifestyle and can ensure time for training and interactions are included in the day.

Thanks, ozjen :) It was actually Ruby you met :rolleyes: And Millie is even trimmer and better at obedience than Ruby :laugh:

Whoops, sorry Rubystar, another senior moment for me for some reason I always think of your Chocolate as being Ruby. There's nothing wrong with MILLIE's (got it right this time) obedience she is a joy to watch and very focused on you.

We all just need to convice people that Labs don't have to look like barrells and if they do then it's not so much a breed issue as an owner issue.

I met lots of dogs of many breeds in the daycare that I liked even though I would never have considered that breed before. Spunky Pugs and a gorgeous German Spitz (who was clever but very noisy!), along with various terriers.