I've Fallen In Love

For you guys who own well-behaved Labs, a big well done to you. :laugh:Be proud that your dog is a great representative of the breed, of what they can be when they are well trained and exercised and not overfed. :)

What's the point when they're all lumped in the one category? :laugh:

I may as well let my girls run riot and quit training now, and feed them up nicely.

I'm not saying my girls are perfect, they are far from it and do have the exuberant Lab personality that some people aren't that big a fan of, but give me full of life anyday :rolleyes: Some of the "typical Lab traits" that have been mentioned here are displayed by many breeds, it's called being a dog! :laugh:

I actually look at it the other way round and agree with what Jess said. I own a SBT cross, "staffies" as everyone knows are a popular dog also prone to stereotyping. Just yesterday a woman said to me "staffies are different from other dogs they are more primeval they just turn" :cheer:

Obviously that is an extreme view (but her dog had in the past been attacked by what she said was a 35kg (!!!) "staffy" and had severe nerve damage so obviously that coloured her view.

But instead of getting defensive, I try to look at it this way, the stereotype does have some foundation, lots of people get staffords for the wrong reasons, like labs they can be overexhuberant, they are not an "easy" dog to own and they need attention, exercise and discipline otherwise they will not grow up to be good canine citizens.

That is why I try to may sure that my dog is a good example of the good side of the breed. I am not going to defend every stafford because there are some dodgy ones out there who (through the fault of their owners same way as labs can be overweight or over exhuberant) are dog aggressive, or over exhuberant and a general PITA.

Saying all staffys are wonderful snugglebums and I can't understand why everyone wouldn't want them is doing a disservice to the breed IMO, we want to attract the right kind of owners who will put the time in not the wrong.

Getting back to labs I think that a lot of people do view them as the easy family dog (and don't get me wrong there are many lab traits that warrant this tag) and won't put the time in to exercise and train them. Like SBT's there are also a fair few BYB's of labs out there who would sell a dog to anyone without taking the time to see whether they are a suitable home.

I agree with what your saying, and think you wrote it well.

I was feeling defensive with some of the other posts that appeared to be putting ALL labs into that "bad" box. My experience as a first time dog and lab owner has been a very positive one. However I did do my research when getting a dog well, and found a registered breeder that I felt would help me out if needed, had dogs with exeptional temprements and that I felt happy with.

It is sad like you said, that there are so many BYB out there that are selling dogs to homes that aren't suitable.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't said that all Labs are bad. I simply said that they are difficult to handle in a daycare (and it appears boarding) situation due to their size, exuberance and playing style.

I discussed with poodlefan on another thread about dog personal space and playing styles, and pondered why some breeds like lots of personal space while others don't and like to get up close and personal and wrestle and body slam. Discussed that possibly they were bred for less need of personal space for the job they were bred to do, need to be in close proximity with other dogs. Was very interesting and I hadn't considered that before.

That is just my experience with the Labs we had in at daycare (and is consistent with my experience with Labs at parks as well, <>We had a LOT of Labs come in. Can't have just have been my perception, all staff at the daycare thought the same thing, and from poocow's post, other people who are involved in boarding have a similar experience.

Yep, I find that with grooming. Too much for me and unless I've had a quiet work week, I usually refer Labs elsewhere.

grooming :mad Labs are the easiest, bath, quick towel down and off you go, and they only need to be done a couple of times a year.

:laugh: I have a grooming business, there is more to it when someone is paying fifty five dollars to have their dog washed, completely dried, deshedding treatment, nails and ears. I know how to wash a dog and no, I don't do a 'quick towel down'. It's the Labs themselves, not the work. Thanks for the tips though.......

Edited by Clyde

That is just my experience with the Labs we had in at daycare (and is consistent with my experience with Labs at parks as well, <>We had a LOT of Labs come in. Can't have just have been my perception, all staff at the daycare thought the same thing, and from poocow's post, other people who are involved in boarding have a similar experience.

Yep, I find that with grooming. Too much for me and unless I've had a quiet work week, I usually refer Labs elsewhere.

grooming :( Labs are the easiest, bath, quick towel down and off you go, and they only need to be done a couple of times a year.

:rofl: I have a grooming business, there is more to it when someone is paying fifty five dollars to have their dog washed, completely dried, deshedding treatment, nails and ears. I know how to wash a dog and no, I don't do a 'quick towel down'. It's the Labs themselves, not the work. Thanks for the tips though.......

I don't think Lablady was giving you tips on how to groom a Lab, I read it as that's all a Lab needs from it's owner so not understanding why one is being sent to the groomers!

But I guess when you take into account all the extra stuff you do, I guess some people find the need to take their Lab to a groomer. Me, I personally wouldn't have considered it cos I do most of the things myself, and for the nail trim, the vet nurses do it for free at my vet :thumbsup: To continue completely off topic, I do love the doggy perfume that some dogs come home wearing after being at the groomers, smells devine! :D

that's exactly what i meant Rubystar. Labs are so easy to maintain i don't understand why they would be taken to a groomer. Lazy owners i guess.

Clyde i know you do a lot more than a bath and a towel down.

that's exactly what i meant Rubystar. Labs are so easy to maintain i don't understand why they would be taken to a groomer. Lazy owners i guess.

Haven't been following this thread which I think was supposed to be more about 'clicking' with a particular dog rather than solely about labs. However I don't think it is fair to criticise people as being "lazy" for sending their dog to the groomers. Maybe they are busy, yet don't want their dog to miss out on coat care. Or maybe they can simply afford for someone else to do it. Maybe, maybe. At least though they are conscious of their dog needing grooming (whether that comprise of a simple wash and dry or something more complex) and are doing something about it. I admit I prefer to groom my own dog myself as it is during those times that I get to especially notice any lumps or bumps or changes that might (or might not) be going on. But not everyone is as paranoid as I am about these things. And a good groomer will pick up on some things as well - perhaps even things that the owners, being unaware of some things, might not think anything of.

If I could afford it, I'd pay for someone to come to clean my house for me. I don't think that makes me lazy though. But it does indicate I like a clean house and for it to be cared for.

Edited by Erny

Non labrador owners are just jealous. Labradors are the most popular breed after all.

But just like their name suggests Labra - Labour - work - they need a job, at the least the working lines do.

If I could afford it, I'd pay for someone to come to clean my house for me. I don't think that makes me lazy though. But it does indicate I like a clean house and for it to be cared for.

I thought you were training Mandela to do that? :laugh:

Non labrador owners are just jealous. Labradors are the most popular breed after all.

You are more than welcome to think that if you wish :):laugh:

Personally I think non-Kelpie owners are jealous :rofl: (well, not really :( I think they are the best though :mad )

You are more than welcome to think that if you wish :):laugh:

Personally I think non-Kelpie owners are jealous :rofl: (well, not really :( I think they are the best though :mad )

Pffffffffffft you all know you want a sibe and/or a beagle.

Noooo, not Beagles :laugh: - they are nearly as 'bad' as Labs :(

The only plus is their smaller size, I can still pick Daisy up and just remove her from her general naughtiness :)

Daisy has lots of drive though :mad It can be a positive and a negative :rofl:

But just like their name suggests Labra - Labour - work - they need a job, at the least the working lines do.

Well said.

I was watching an episode of the Dog Whisperer the other day and he went to visit the guy who wrote Marley and Me which I haven't seen but understand was about the trials and tribulations of living with their dog?

However they now have a new lab and more problems. What irked me was that they bought a dog obviously just to be a pet, but from working lines, did nothing with it and then were surprised that it killed their chickens and ran around out of control chasing things.

Great dog but it needed a job. Anyway luckily they found a gundog trainer nearby and the show showed her working some of her labs, amazing.

Was a real lesson in matching the right dog energy to the right owner energy though.

ETA: anyway com'on you guys what you really want is a dog like a Basenji, bit of a challenge never hurt anyone.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

However I don't think it is fair to criticise people as being "lazy" for sending their dog to the groomers. Maybe they are busy, yet don't want their dog to miss out on coat care. Or maybe they can simply afford for someone else to do it. Maybe, maybe.

I get a mobile dog wash lady to come in once a week and bath OH's dog Grover. He is too big to fit easily into the bath - getting a bath once a month with her is much easier for him as he walks into the bath and gets blow-dried etc. We bath all the rest but it is easier to do him with the groomer. Seriously - who cares how people groom their dogs? :laugh:

I think the lab people are being a too sensitive - surely its okay to not like a breed much? I don't expect everyone I meet to want to own a Fauve, or a Greyhound or a Deerhound - we all have breeds we like and breeds we don't much like. I personally wouldn't own a Labrador but I also wouldn't own a German Shepherd or a Border Collie (ETA and many other breeds) - doesn't mean I hate the breed, just that I don't want to live with one going on the many examples I have met. :(

Edited by Trisven13

ETA: anyway com'on you guys what you really want is a dog like a Basenji, bit of a challenge never hurt anyone.

Eeep, it would be like having a combination of Micha and Daisy in one evil package :laugh:

We looked into getting a Basenji years ago, I still adore them, not sure I'd want a dog that is a combination of both spitz and hound though :(

Eeep, it would be like having a combination of Micha and Daisy in one evil package :laugh:

We looked into getting a Basenji years ago, I still adore them, not sure I'd want a dog that is a combination of both spitz and hound though :(

I love the look of them too. There is something about them, not sure what it would be like to live with one though. I also heard they didn't much like water and since we spend a lot of time in and around the dam or the beach that was one factor against them for me.

Still would like to meet one in person though.

I think Basenjis are gorgeous! Just what I like in the looks department and a nifty size. But since I want to compete in sports I will keep my sanity and stick to my working breeds thanks :laugh:

ETA: There are a couple that come to my dog park. Lovely playful pretty dogs. Owners say they are a challenge to train though :(

Edited by Kavik

I think Basenjis are gorgeous! Just what I like in the looks department and a nifty size. But since I want to compete in sports I will keep my sanity and stick to my working breeds thanks :laugh:

Isn't there someone here in Oz who competes with them in either agility or obedience? (or both). Although definitely not a conventional dog sports breed :( but you can never say never! Part of me wants to own one just for the challenge! I'll try and get Daisy's obedience title first though :) (god knows that it may take awhile!)

Edited by huski