I've Fallen In Love

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked up Basenjis doing agility on Youtube - can be rather hillarious! :laugh:

I just had a look too. This one cracks me up:

I love how at the start he's just taking his sweet time, it's like he's saying 'if you're gunna make me do it, you go at my pace' and 'oh, the human wants me to jump over a pole. How quaint' :(

Edited by huski

If I could afford it, I'd pay for someone to come to clean my house for me. I don't think that makes me lazy though. But it does indicate I like a clean house and for it to be cared for.

I thought you were training Mandela to do that? :(

<sigh> ..... please don't tell Jeff Jones, but Mandela's house-work training is very slow in the making :laugh:. I was drying a fry pan that I'd washed and told him that he should be able to manage a tea-towel by now. Well, he can manage a tea-towel actually, but not in the way I mean :). He also seems to have the vacuuming back to front. He brings in the dirt and I vacuum it. It seems he thinks I am the one that needs to practice!

So it brings me to dreaming about having a house cleaner.

:rofl:

If I could afford it, I'd pay for someone to come to clean my house for me. I don't think that makes me lazy though. But it does indicate I like a clean house and for it to be cared for.

I thought you were training Mandela to do that? :(

<sigh> ..... please don't tell Jeff Jones, but Mandela's house-work training is very slow in the making :laugh:. I was drying a fry pan that I'd washed and told him that he should be able to manage a tea-towel by now. Well, he can manage a tea-towel actually, but not in the way I mean :). He also seems to have the vacuuming back to front. He brings in the dirt and I vacuum it. It seems he thinks I am the one that needs to practice!

So it brings me to dreaming about having a house cleaner.

:rofl:

I dream of a cleaner too. I seem to have a genetic aversion to hoovering (sorry vacuuming)!

I would love my house not to have leaves, dog hair and dust floating around permanently. :mad

ETA: now Erny if you could crack that as a dog trainer ie teaching basic housecleaning you would make a fortune!!

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Tie cleaner impregnated damp mop handle to dog's tail, and then play hide and seek, making sure to stick to wet areas of the house. Tell dog "stand" ("sit" is too awkward with mop handle tied to tail) and rinse out mop. Repeat as necessary.

Treat dog with food or toy reward once work is done.

:laugh:

Try that, Cosmolo .... and let me know how you go :(.

ETA: If it works, consider the idea patented.

Ker ching!!! $$$$$

Edited by Erny

I think the lab people are being a too sensitive - surely its okay to not like a breed much?

Of course it is, but it was just the way in which some of the comments were said that some of us were particularly "sensitive" to.

There are plenty of dogs I don't want to own for various reasons, but I wouldn't go and tell the owners those reasons as I'm afraid it would be quite offensive to them! :happydance:

Okay.....this thread has been hijacked enough....time for me to step in and bring it back to the beautiful, innocent thread it once was :happydance:

Boo (the Lab's name) went home with his owners last Monday.... :happydance:

Will I ever see him again? I thought about sabotaging the training plan but then soon came to my senses....drats. I did tell the owners that if they ever wanted to give him away, that they should contact me first.

Farewell Boo.....I hope you have a great life! :champagne:

Okay.....this thread has been hijacked enough....time for me to step in and bring it back to the beautiful, innocent thread it once was :thumbsup:

Boo (the Lab's name) went home with his owners last Monday.... :)

Will I ever see him again? I thought about sabotaging the training plan but then soon came to my senses....drats. I did tell the owners that if they ever wanted to give him away, that they should contact me first.

Farewell Boo.....I hope you have a great life! :)

You never know they may come back to have some further training with you in the future? It must be hard when you have built up a strong bond with a dog then have to say good bye. I'm a preschool teacher and find it hard sometimes to say goodbye to some of the children that i've built up a bond with (have to laugh because it's the hypo, personailty plus ones that I bond with most :p ) when they leave for big school. I'm glad a lab touched your heart :) mine certainly has firmly placed her paw print in mine.

I think the lab people are being a too sensitive - surely its okay to not like a breed much?

Of course it is, but it was just the way in which some of the comments were said that some of us were particularly "sensitive" to.

There are plenty of dogs I don't want to own for various reasons, but I wouldn't go and tell the owners those reasons as I'm afraid it would be quite offensive to them! :)

I just reread my first comment in this thread and could see nothing to be sensitive about? I said very diplomatically that I liked a dog at work tht was not a breed I usually considered (there are many breeds I would not own btw, not just Labs!).

Kelpie-i

I'm sure they will be very happy with his progress :thumbsup:

There are plenty of dogs I don't want to own for various reasons, but I wouldn't go and tell the owners those reasons as I'm afraid it would be quite offensive to them! :)

I just reread my first comment in this thread and could see nothing to be sensitive about? I said very diplomatically that I liked a dog at work tht was not a breed I usually considered (there are many breeds I would not own btw, not just Labs!).

Kelpie-i

I'm sure they will be very happy with his progress :)

I also didn't think Kelpie-i's comments were very offensive. Try owning a bull breed for a while, then you'll get a thick skin about people insulting your dog. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, Rubystar, where did you get your signature from? It's really nice. :)

Kelpie-i

I'm sure they will be very happy with his progress :)

I also didn't think Kelpie-i's comments were very offensive. Try owning a bull breed for a while, then you'll get a thick skin about people insulting your dog. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, Rubystar, where did you get your signature from? It's really nice. :)

I'm with you there, it is so lovely when people cross the road...

Yeah I didn't see it as offensive either, as I said before, I would rather people know both sides, good and bad so that the right kind of owners can be attracted. No point in pretending it is all sweetness and light otherwise you are doing the poor dogs a disservice and increasing their risk of ending up in the pound.

At least no one called labs "primeval and ready to turn at any second" try having someone say that to your face as your poor dog stands quietly beside you minding its own business. :)

We all have personal favourites in the dog world for all sorts of reasons, some shallow (I love black dogs, don't like the look of white ones) and some perhaps more logical given the type of person we are.

What I love is when one dog comes along that embodies all that superficially you wouldn't want in a dog and turns the whole thing around by just being plain adorable.

For example, I walked a white boxer at staffy rescue - now I am not attracted to white dogs (no offense meant but I don't like blond men either!!) and I am not particularly keen on boxers, but this dog was gorgeous, just sweet and gentle have no idea how he ended up in the pound. Luckily he now has a new home to go to. :p

I also didn't think Kelpie-i's comments were very offensive. Try owning a bull breed for a while, then you'll get a thick skin about people insulting your dog.

:rofl: Okay now I'm stumped. Who took any of my comments on this thread as offensive?? I couldn't be bothered reading through the 7 pages of it but am very surprised it was taken this way (if it was).

All the Lab people. They kind insulted various breeds in return! And people that take dogs to groomers got a bit of a slagging off too!

And Erny gave us a lesson on how to teach a dog to clean the floor - now that was worth it! :laugh:

My dog doesn't want the house clean though, that's why he periodically attacks the hoover! :rofl:

Wow, thanks JulesP.

For the record:

This thread was not meant as a "lab bash". I was merely posting about a dog (who happens to be a Lab) who I grew quite fond of.

I also grew very fond of a Rotti I worked with a few years ago and they are not my breed of choice either.

As a trainer, I work with many problem dogs and Labs are not the only dogs who can be problematic. (Although each individual owner's perception of a 'problem' is very different :)).

I wish a had a dollar for every comment I heard about Kelpies....and I agree with all of them :laugh:

If I offended anybody, then I apologise profusely as my intention was to share a lovely story, not to bash any breed :rofl:

:rofl: Okay now I'm stumped. Who took any of my comments on this thread as offensive?? I couldn't be bothered reading through the 7 pages of it but am very surprised it was taken this way (if it was).

Not me, Kelpie-i. I thought it was very clear from the outset that you were talking about the wonders of that special 'click' you can get with certain dogs - breed being irrelevant and purely coincidental.

If I offended anybody, then I apologise profusely as my intention was to share a lovely story, not to bash any breed :clap:

IMO, you have nothing to apologise for.

:) Although DON'T you DARE say anything that is less than wonderful about Rhodesian Ridgebacks!!! :laugh:

Edited by Erny

We poodle folk have hides like rhinos. No one but other poodle zombies wants one. :rofl:

It's a yin/yang thing. What some people love about their dogs will be what other people don't like at all.

No need to take it personally. I dont' see it as much different to liking or hating anchovies. Its just a matter of preference.