Swallowing Raw Bones?

Hello everyone... would like to get a general feel of how many owners here are comfortable with their little ones swallowing raw (chicken) bones? :scared:

I feed raw chicken, duck, turkey, lamb and rabbit regularly- other meats as well of course but they are the one with edible-size bones. I have big dogs and am sure some bone gets swallowed in pieces, but I'm comfortable with the diet and haven't had any problems over many dogs and years.

However, some people feed one bone once and have a problem with choking or intestinal blockage, so I'm not about to recommend anything as completely safe. It's just what works for me.

Hello everyone... would like to get a general feel of how many owners here are comfortable with their little ones swallowing raw (chicken) bones? :thumbsup:

I would have no problem provided that a human was in attendance in case of any problems arising (such as getting caught between teeth or across the top jaw.

If you mean dogs swallowing whole bones then I would be very concerned as that is not good. My Wire Haired chews all bones before swallowing.

Thanks for the replies so far :thumbsup:

Mika is my first pup... I almost got a fright when I gave her a raw wing tip to chew on and after chewing on it for almost 10 mins, I turned around and it was gone! I wasn't too sure whether it was okay for them to eventually consume the bones... She had no problems then (this was 2 months ago when she was 3 months old). Last night, I gave her another chicken bone to chew on and after a few minutes, it was gone again (this being a bigger bone)!

I would like to let her chew on bones quite regularly but wasn't sure that when people say they feed their dogs raw meat on bone, do they mean that they also consume the bones eventually...

do they mean that they also consume the bones eventually...

Yep :laugh:

That's what dogs are meant to do- consume bone/meat/skin/tendons etc from their 'prey'

Phew!!!! Now Mika can get her bones more regularly now without me praying that I won't murder my girl each time. :thumbsup:

feed them bones. your dog will love you for it

Or it could kill them.

It pays to exercise caution. The dogs do not need to eat the bone as bone is not digestable. It is however great for them to chew on the bone. So if you can give the dog a bone and throw it out before they swallow it then go for it.

That's what dogs are meant to do- consume bone/meat/skin/tendons etc from their 'prey'

Or they'll eat the meat and leave the bone. Nothing natural about eating bone.

Almost losing my own dog to a bone a few weeks ago has really opened my eyes to just how dangerous they can be. Small doses and careful monitoring are the key.

Nothing natural about eating bone.

Sorry- are you serious? :eek:

All predators eat bone.

Whether it be mouse or moose- a certain amount of bone is chewed and eatenas part of a meal....along with a certain amount of offal and connective tissue, and hair/fur/feathers/scales

these provide valuable minerals....

Predatory animals given free choice will pick softer bones to completely consume.. and as these bones are usually attached by sinew/tendons/muscle... they get thoroughly and completely chewed.

If it is not natural... then why do cats/dogs/dingoes/foxes do it?

Mine all eat bones and will continue to do so - can't think of anything more natural.

Chicken wings, necks and frames, Lamb necks, off cuts and flaps, roo tails, brisket bones are the main bones I give them.

Even Lizzy - pug, eats and totally enjoys her bones - god help any dog that eyes off her bones and they would never get one from her.. she happily eats chicken wings and necks, and even lamb off cuts. Don't know how she does it sometimes but she has never had any problems at all. She stole a half lamb neck from a Rottie pup once and I thought I would see how far she would go with it - she ate it. Her belly was rock hard for 2 days - no idea how she ate so much but she sure as hell was not going to let the Rottie pups get it back.

Seems pretty natural to me. :eek:

Soft none weight bearing bones like chicken, turkey and lamb are easilty digested by a dog gut. It's the harder weight bearing bones that they will usually throw up because the body can not digest them.

The pugs get chopped up chicken necks, for some reason mine don't know that you are supposed to rip them appart before you eat them so swallow them whole so that is why I cut them up into small pieces to stop choking. They also get big lamb bones (spines and ribs/flaps) and sometimes kangaroo tails.

How about nylon bones, are they beneficial or full of chemicals?

Nylabones are not ment to be eaten.

i thought it was suppose to encourage chewing and ultimately eaten. Maybe its not nylon bones i'm referring to. I'm talking about those hard whitish yellow knotted bones.

How about nylon bones, are they beneficial or full of chemicals?

Nylabones are not ment to be eaten.

i thought it was suppose to encourage chewing and ultimately eaten. Maybe its not nylon bones i'm referring to. I'm talking about those hard whitish yellow knotted bones.

They are rawhide. And really have no beneficial nutritional sunstance. They become choking hazards when soft and the way they are dried is usually with chemicals.

Nylabones are plastic.