Tulip Is Gone

iceni

Yesterday evening "Tulip" (Raaleppo: Golden Cloggs) a 3 year old St Bernard bitch lost her life suddenly after suffering what was is believed to be a stroke. Tulip has left behind in her wake a beautiful litter of 4 sons and two daughters that are only 16 days old.

Tulip was a first time mom and this was the first always carefully thought out, planned and much awaited litter that the SouthSea Saint Bernards household had been blessed with for over 4 years.

Despite everyones best efforts Tulip could not be saved but she did not suffer and her legacy will live on in the children that were privileged to have Tulip as their mother.

Our thoughts are with the Nicholls family at this tragic time who are not able to grieve in peace right now as there are little ones to be cared for. Tulip could not have wished for or gotten a more loving, caring attentive home and it just does not seem to be fair that this should happen to such a beautiful saint bernard who was very much loved by her family.

Elise, Scott, Josh, Jason, Blake and little Maddie

"Do not stand by Tulips grave and weep, she is not there, she does not sleep

She is a thousand winds that blow, she is the diamond glint on snow

She is the sunlight on ripened grain, she is the gentle autumn rain

When you wake in the morning hush, she is your swift uplifting rush

Of the birds in circling flight, she is the soft starshine of night,

Do not stand by her grave and cry, she is not there she did not die"

our hearts go out to you

Kevin & Donna & all Tulie's relatives at Desaix

Edited by iceni

Take good care of any puppies that come to the Rainbow Bridge, Tulip. That'll be your special job in Doggie Heaven.

My sympathy to Tulip's family & friends who must as shocked as they are grieving to lose her so young...only 3 years of age.

By coincidence, our Tibetan Spaniel, Angel, nearly lost her life when having her first litter at age 3 years.

Tulip came to ME at 10 months of age. Her and I bonded and she was my shadow. She slept on a bed beside my bed. If I was on the computer, she could be found next to me by my chair. If I was in the kitchen preparing tea, she would be there. She idolised the ground I walked on, and I, hers. I would pet her until my arms were about to drop off and she would boof me and paw me until I started all over again. We were "in love" with each other.

I have a "special needs" child who had bonded with her and he learnt to show on her and his first show ever, he took a class in group at an All Breeds show with her.

She was a very pretty bitch and very feminine and I loved her dearly as did all who came into contact with her.

On 2 November, Tulip gave birth to 5 healthy puppies naturally (3 boys, 2 girls), she was c.section for the last boy who was stuck, who is now healthy and fighting fit and the biggest in the litter.

She was an excellent mother who wee'd and poo'd and fed them all. She was not left alone in a whelping box to trample the litter as I was with her all day, everyday 24/7. The pups were also sup-fed. The pups nails were trimmed every 2nd day to avoid mastitis AND Tulip fed from alternate sides so she wouldnt' get mastitis. Tulip was on several meals per day and she was given every delicacy she wanted. Tulip whelped her litter in the lounge room in air conditioned comfort and was given beaten eggs with milk and honey throughout labour.

She was vetted regularly and her c.section scar was healing nicely and her sutures removed. She was on antibitoics post op and given calcium twice daily.

Her mucous membranes were a good colour. She was eating, drinking, she was toileting fine and her temp was POINT 4 of a degree higher than normal, the vet said for a post operative bitch who was lactating, this was fine.

On Thursday 18 November, Tulip fed her babies at 6pm, they were all wee'd and poo'd and were sleeping happily. Tulip ate well throughout the day.

Tulip went to lay inthe walk-in pantry which is massive on a bed I made for her there. At 7pm she got up and was holding one back leg up. I thought she had pins and needles from laying on it and so rubbed her leg and her back. She's put the foot down but would not weight bear on it.

I checked her vitals. Her heart was good (I have stethocscopes), Her colour was good, she had no mastitis, her vaginal discharge was clear, she was not huffing and puffing, she was responsive and wagging her tail and snorting and kissing me as she always does. I decided to have her seen to anyway. I thought perhaps a pinched nerve, maybe her siatic, maybe her pelvis, maybe her neck was out.

Three skin kids and two baskets of puppies and Tulip were loaded into the car. Tulip was laying on the backseat of the 4WD on a nice soft polar fleece blanket with her head and paws in my sons lap.

At no time was Tulip sick NOR did she look sick or give the appearance that she was un-well or dying. At most, it "seemed" she need anti inflammatory or manipulation as I thought she was "out" somewhere either from the c.section or the birthing process.

Just down the road, she stood up and I said "Tulip sit down." I was doing 40km/h in a 100km zone. Tulip did a u.turn and sat down. I said "Tulip, drop". She dropped and we continued on. I asked my son how she was and he said "She's good mummy, I'm patting her." I continued on. THEN, "Mummy, Tulip's doing something funny."

I pulled into the shoulder of the road. I jumped out of the car and went running around to the back passenger door. Using my knee to help lever her down to the ground, I scooped her up and performed CPR & EAR on her to no avail. I sat in a green ant nest and was eaten alive whilst I worked on her for over half an hour. My kids were distraught and screaming.

The vet said it wouldn't have mattered where I was driving her to, she wouldn't have made it. The vet said she would have had to have had the turn she had in the car in a vet surgery to even survive and even then, it would be doubtful. She died so suddenly and so unexpectedly, a healthy bitch. It is believed that she had a clot (post operative) which caused a stroke that killed her.

Tulip was in peak condition in the prime of her life (not 4 until the next month). This was her FIRST litter, she was not mated to anything or everything, she was hipscored, elbow graded, thryoid tested and vetted whenever she needed to be. Much thought and consideration went into this breeding, my first litter in well over 4 years.

My family and I are shattered. We are all in total shock and disbelief. I walk around aimlessly wondering where my shadow is. Nothing, will ever replace her.

Tulip left behind 6 x 16 day old motherless puppies. They will never know their mother. They will never have the interaction from the most wonderful temperamented bitch ever.

Comments made about Tulip were:-

* I have never seen her look so good.

* Mother hood agreed with her.

* Her coat is in excellent condition.

* She looks the best I've ever seen her.

* You can't tell she's had a litter.

* She's in her element.

* The vet upon examing her before he did the c.section said "She doesn't complain much does she?"

Never under estimate the hand of GOD, go hug your babies because you never know when their time is up.

No more will she "snort" at me.

No more will she "howl" at an emergency siren.

I now just lay and stare at her empty bed beside mine. I look at the 6 beautiful and helpless legacies she left me and pour all my love into them. They are being bottle fed 3 hourly and have started on "slop".

I would have forsaken the whole litter to have my girl.

RIP Tulip, you were my life, my shadow, my companion. :laugh::laugh::laugh::eek: :D :D :D ;) :mad:mad

Elise

That's such a sad story - my thoughts are with you at this time. At least you know that you did everything possible to save her and it was not to be. Doesn't make it any easier, I know from recent experience. RIP Tulip.

Elise,I am so sorry for you and I am in tears.

That is a sad, sad story

But I immediately thought what a wonderful person and owner you a re!!

Happy memories of Tulip to you in time and I sincerely wish you DO keep a baby from Tulip and that it gives you ALL the pleasure you hope for over a very long period of time!!

Lots of hugs and wishes for the babies to do well!! :D

Guest Chewbacca

:D Dear Elise,

I am so sorry for your loss. When you should be celebrating and treasuring the joyous event that has happened, such a tragedy comes to mar it. You did everything you could for her. Sometimes we don't understand why these things happen and perhaps we shouldn't try to. Tulip IS there beside you, protecting and guiding you. She will be waiting for you over the Rainbow Bridge to give you a huge slobbery kiss and cuddle. Both Tulip and you have been honoured and priviliged to have such a special bond with each other-something that you never want to replace. Let the others (both human and canine) around you, see your grieve as they will be sensing the grief but may hold it in to spare you any further pain.

Sebastion says to give a big hug and play roll to his sister.

You are in our thoughts.

Oh Elise!

My heart truly weeps for you, your family, and Tulip's family.

Tulip is still visiting her family, still looking out for them, still nurturing them. Even though she is gone from the physical plane, she's still with you in spirit. You've probably even felt her presence, its' not your imagination, sweetie.

Nothing I or others can say will help heal your hearts, so I will send your family some angels to be with you.

Losing a companion is never easy, espeically when it is so sudden and unexpected.

Chin up, you have some beautiful little puppies to share with the world!

I am overwhelmed that people I have never met have sent me such lovely messages of condolences and it's really appreciated. It's been a week since Tulip has passed on and I still miss her like crazy. I lay in bed and look at the empty spot where she used to sleep and my heart aches and the tears fall freely.

Everyone who knew Tulip and saw Tulip in recent times is shocked that she has departed, a healthy and well cared for bitch in her element of mother-hood.

The pups are doing well. They are a delight and whilst we are trying to embrace ourselves in them for Tulip's sake, I'm saddened that they will never know their mum.

I bottle feed them and cuddle them and love them around the clock, just like I did their mum.

It seems so unfair that BYB's just breed for the hell of it and put two dogs together because they have opposite anatomies with no thought or consideration into genetic testing or pedigrees or complimenting each other etc....

No cost would have been spared on Tulip, I just couldn't get her anywhere in time. For closure I have since clocked the distance and she passed away 1.4 (one point 4) km's down the road.

She was a much loved bitch and loyal companion and I will honour her memory forever.

Thankyou for your kind thoughts and well wishes.

Elise

:laugh:

My heart goes out to you. What a terrible loss. I'm sure Tulip will stay with you always and her spirit will be passed down into her beautiful babies. At least you know they are in the best of care - they are being looked after by Tulip's mum