Puppy With The Runs

Tilly

My 9 week old GSD pup has the runs on and off since we got him. Lately he has been doing 2 or 3 poos when he goes outside, usually the first is formed but a little soft and it is the second and third poos that are a soft pudding consistency.

I have removed all dry food (and the mince mix) from his diet and have been feeding him just chicken necks - which he is wolfing down ... is this suitable "chicken" or should I look at cooked chicken breast and rice?

He is well hydrated, full of beans and in good health otherwise. He was last wormed on the 19th and I was going to worm again this week and I was planning on starting his heart worm treatment around the same time - but will be double checking with his vet first.

Edited by Tilly

Can you get a hold of some Hills cans, from memory the i/d. It's low residue so will firm his poos up nicely and is very gentle on their tummies.

I recently used it on Esme and it worked wonders. I gradually added her dry food until I was back on track.

Edited by Clyde

I was hoping to avoid tinned food completely and stick to a more raw feeding. I did want him to be to eat dry food ... only because there will be occassions when he will eventually be going away to work and dry food is more convenient.

If he isn't improving by Monday I will talk to the vet - I know they have some of the tinned stuff there.

I don't like tinned stuff either but if it's a definite answer rather than fiddling around with other foods. It's specifically designed for gastro disorders. http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/...845524441763417

The i/d is largely turkey and rice, so perhaps try that rather than more chicken. Pup could have a chicken intolerance. My Shihtzu falls to pieces if she has a chicken neck.

FWIW, I can't stand the regular Hills kibbles but the prescription diets have been a life saver for me in the past year or so. Truly worked wonders.

The little brat has gone to sleep so I will go out to see if I can find some. Hopefully there is a pet shop open that sell it ... might have to break my self-imposed ban and head to the local place (they now sell puppies :thumbsup:)

I couldn't get Hills I/D but I did get a can of the Royal Canin Sensitivity Control (Chicken and Rice) - I also rang his breeder and they had no issues with feeding him chicken. They are enclined to think it is caused by the changes he has been through.

I tried a small amount to see if he would eat it .... and he tried a little bit of it and then started growling and barking at it. I don't think he likes it much.

My GSD pup has had the runs the past day as well! I found cooking plain rice for her and mixing it with a little of her usual bikkies (or boiled chicken) has helped heaps, the last few poos have started to slowly form up again.

She had a major runs episode last night when we went out for a few hours, 3 huge splatter scenarios :cool: Which was obviously her dinner coming out. I skipped giving her supper, and she was hungry through the night and spewed up a few times (spewed up nothing other than foam) cos she was so hungry. So I have now been giving her small amounts of the rice mix and definately on the mend now :rofl:

I tried him with some more of the tinned stuff tonight for dinner and he is acting like I am trying to poison him. He eats a tiny bit and whinges and looks at me.

He is starving so he is continuing to eat it (very slowly) but really he is not enjoying it. Poor baby ... really hope this works.

I agree about not changing him from the breeder food too quickly. :rofl:

The Hill's I/D canned food can only be bought at a Vet's as far as I know, but it's worth the trip, and isn't any more expensive than normal Hill's canned food from a pet store. :wink:

My puppy went from not eating anything and very runny poo, to solid poo and eating well in 24 hours with I/D - you really should give it a go. I keep a can in the cupboard all the time now. :rofl:

Edited by Jen21

His breeder was feeding raw, so I continued with that and was adding just a little Royal Canin GSD Junior (a couple of pieces).

He was getting chicken necks, chicken frames and a mince mix (beef mince, chicken mince, veges and mackerel).

The tin of chicken and rice has made things worse so this morning he is currently just getting chicken necks.

He is still bright and eating well and definately drinking sufficient water. I have to go to the vet this week to get him some worming tablets so if he hasn't improved by the morning I will take him to the vet.

One of my puppys had yucky poo for weeks (giardia). Did the whole diet thing, vet thing. no luck. I got jack of it all and gave him an "Inner Health Plus"tablet - u know the ones full of gut flora for people. WORKED WONDERS. Next day.. no more yucky poos.

U get them from the chemist.

Edited by Ams

Thanks Ams - I have some of those so I will give it a try - I will add it to his cooked chicken and pumpkin.

I had tried a little yoghurt but without success but didn't even give that a though.

He had a nice firm poo last night and again first up this morning ... but the second poo this morning was a little more liquid then usual and the third was even worse.

Thanks Ams - I have some of those so I will give it a try - I will add it to his cooked chicken and pumpkin.

I had tried a little yoghurt but without success but didn't even give that a though.

He had a nice firm poo last night and again first up this morning ... but the second poo this morning was a little more liquid then usual and the third was even worse.

I feel your pain! Shyla had awful 'squirts' on Saturday night, on Sunday her poos started to firm up, and on Monday she did 2 perfect firm items. Then 1am Tuesday morning she whined to go toilet and did more squirts :eek: So just when I thought it was over, it is not!

Sounds similar to your situation! I'm just going to keep boiled chicken+ricing for now, if she was pooing more frequently than she is (which is her normal poo times, every 5-7hrs or so) I'd be worried about dehydration

She's totally hyper otherwise, and the only pain is that she is still indoors when we are at work, so we have sloppy mess to clean :laugh:

Oh well!

Take a sample into your vet and ask them to do some tests on it. No use playing around with diet if pup has hookworm or something. We've seen dogs that have been wormed regularly, still having hookworm. There is some drug resistance around.

Thankfully the chicken breast, pumpkin (cooked in a little salt reduce chicken stock and water) and "Inner Health plus" seems to have worked. We have had a number of nice firm poos so far. He is going to the vet later today for some more working tablets so I will talk to them again.

The little boy is doing extremely well and growing like a weed.

I will start introducing him back to chicken necks etc and see how he goes.