Iron Dog

Only "iron dog" competition I know is the challenge I have issued to FHR to pit her Vizsla Flynn against my toy poodle Lily in a race to see which dog can consume the biggest and widest variety of food (by percentage of body weight).

Both of our dogs are pretty good on the fang. Flynn has been known to raid the fridge. Lil prefers to panhandle for her food.

Loser has to have both dogs in their house for the days it takes to detox them. :)

Weeeelll - sounds like this is going to be a very serious competiton.

Lily will enjoy her training for this I think. :D

Now remember, its judged on how well the dog does by percentage of food scoffed as measured against body weight so size is no advantage...

Dog must also show motivation to eat unusual foods... how are your dogs on olives - Lil LOVES them. : :)

Edited by poodlefan

:D So far the only thing i have found that my dog won't eat is kidney, so if that's on the menu i'd be pretty sure he would turn up his nose as that but not much else...lol

Size may not be the advantage, but two food loving breeds mixed into one dog is sure to help... :)

Edited to add...i have known Lab's that given the opportunity they would have eaten themselves to death...or explode which ever came first!

Edited by KitKat

Edited to add...i have known Lab's that given the opportunity they would have eaten themselves to death...or explode which ever came first!

I have NO doubt that my Flynn would do this :) in fact it worries me somewhat! He just doesn't know when to stop.

My first dog was a food loving Lab.. but he had NOTHING on Flynn.

Would 4kg's of meaty bones in one sitting count? lol, damn dog got to the shopping before i did one day...and he is puny...he's only 40kg's :D

HA!!! A mere 4kg of meaty bones???

Flynn raided the fridge just after I had been to the meat and fruit markets.. he ate two kilos of mince.. two bags of meaty bones (over 4kg but he didn't waste time on the bones, just the meat off them), a tub of margarine, a block of cheese.. and that's just what I can remember for now. He looked pregnant.. and the smells that came out of him... :)

LMAO! I'm impressed :D, gotta love them and the fridge feasts.

Harm hasn't worked out how to get into my fridge but both he and my new pup have worked uot hot to keep it open...lol, they will sit near it when i am getting stuff out then shuffle forward and leave a leg/paw/muzzle in the way as the door tries to close. Cheeky buggers :)

Perhaps it would be indelicate to mention Flynn's activities at one rather memorable Christmas lunch.... boy that dog can counter surf. :)

Hey, unless the dentition was fully checked with those on the butter, you can't prove it wasn't the Standard Poodle!!

But we won't mention the choc chip muffins before the Canberra Royal.. or the huge bag of liver scoffed in just minutes while we popped down the shops.. or the bag of dog food he suctioned through a 2 inch gap.. or my Dads birthday cake that reduced by a third when our backs were turned... or the roast chicken he got out of a fully zipped cooler bag (plus more muffins).. etc. etc. etc.

I am lucky he has an iron gut...

FHR writes:

Hey, unless the dentition was fully checked with those on the butter, you can't prove it wasn't the Standard Poodle!!

It was definitely the standard poodle that ate the entire box of licquer cherries - the evidence came out the other end... :)