Pet Loo - Any Luck?

snuffles

I ended up going to Bunnings and buying half a metre of fake grass for $12 and then a kitty litter tray for $4...muuuuch cheaper and just as effective lol. I just cut a square at a time across ways and when it needs to be hosed off I can just cut a bit more and away he goes!! Plus when I went to look at those pet loos the lady at the shop told me you dig them into the ground. Seemed a bit stupid to me, why would you buy fake grass and then dig it into your lawn.... Although these people did nearly kill all my fish with their food suggestions.... They have the dumbest people running pet stores these days!!!

Just wondering whether it is worth shelling out 300 buckaroos for a bit of synthetic grass and a plastic container. Does it work?

Hate it.

no mater how often you wash the grass, it stinks. if it's a No2, it sticks to the grass. :)

I don't have the $300, but the similar one that cost $200.

Seemed a bit stupid to me, why would you buy fake grass and then dig it into your lawn.... Although these people did nearly kill all my fish with their food suggestions.... They have the dumbest people running pet stores these days!!!

Thanks, okay I try something else. That sounds stupid - I thought the pet loo was meant for people with NO LAWNS. i.e apartment dwellers.

They sound a little too trigger-happy in the nonsense department. :) Were they temps?

I borrowed someone's pet loo to try it out today - the cats used it as a bed to lay on. The dog ignored it and looked like I was punishing her when I put her on it.

O well.

a large flat under bed storage container and some paper based cat litter (never clay or crystals)

wipe up some urine from the dog on a tissue and put it in there, train as you would always toilet train (ie show the dog when it needs to go the box is an OK place)

cheap, effective and hygenic

I made this for Madeline (she will not go on the grass if it's been raining :laugh: ) I used a lid from a large storage container lined with newspaper, a bit of bark from the backyard, and covered with grass clippings. When she did her last wee, I popped some grass clippings under her so they had the scent of wee and put them in the tray. She got it straight away :eek:

Picture002.jpg

We had one, but as Kayne's Mum said the grass stank really bad after a few days. Even washing it didn't help. We ended tossing out the grass and filling the tray with sand. That works great as its much easier to scoop out the poo with the sand, and about once every month we just replace the sand.

I made this for Madeline (she will not go on the grass if it's been raining :laugh: ) I used a lid from a large storage container lined with newspaper, a bit of bark from the backyard, and covered with grass clippings. When she did her last wee, I popped some grass clippings under her so they had the scent of wee and put them in the tray. She got it straight away :eek:

Picture002.jpg

Awesome idea! Now I can make one from stuff lying around the house instead of spending $$. Saving up for a larger house with a bigger backyard. I was suckered into buying the puppy toilet trainer pheromone thing but my dog does not even react to it. Sigghhhh... She had been, to give her credit, weeing in the indoor garden area instead of on my carpet. Just that my plants are dying and there's a bit of a stink... had to remove all the ornamental pebbles and disinfect everything. Poured a gallon of URINE-OFF and BAC-TO-NATUR followed by citronella pellets. So she got confused and started peeing on the rug and in the toilet, but on the floor next to the toilet bowl.... Siggh... I was literally spraying my whole house with bAC-TO-NATUR to get rid of the urine smell so she won't go in the same place. cost me $60 for two bottles. D'oh!

:laugh: Will start on the pet toilet project pronto.

Awesome idea! Now I can make one from stuff lying around the house instead of spending $$. Saving up for a larger house with a bigger backyard. I was suckered into buying the puppy toilet trainer pheromone thing but my dog does not even react to it. Sigghhhh... She had been, to give her credit, weeing in the indoor garden area instead of on my carpet. Just that my plants are dying and there's a bit of a stink... had to remove all the ornamental pebbles and disinfect everything. Poured a gallon of URINE-OFF and BAC-TO-NATUR followed by citronella pellets. So she got confused and started peeing on the rug and in the toilet, but on the floor next to the toilet bowl.... Siggh... I was literally spraying my whole house with bAC-TO-NATUR to get rid of the urine smell so she won't go in the same place. cost me $60 for two bottles. D'oh!

:eek: Will start on the pet toilet project pronto.

Yep, definitely look around the house and shed first! It's amazing what you can put together :cry: A lot of pet products can be ridiculously priced.

Since Sarge arrived, we don't use the toilet tray as he has a bit of trouble aiming his boy bits in the correct area :rofl: and he too refuses to get his feet wet :laugh: . Sooo, I scouted around in the good old shed and made a little enclosure at the front which is undercover from the carport.... and voila! a last resort toilet area... for the world's most spoiled dogs, who just cannot bear to get their delicate little tootsies wet, for whom nothing is too much trouble, and around whom the entire universe obviously revolves :laugh::rofl:

pics0024.jpg

Good luck with whatever you put together. Let us know how you go.

Oh, and I saw a pic of your little dog in another thread. She is adooooorable!!

:eek: Will start on the pet toilet project pronto.

Yep, definitely look around the house and shed first! It's amazing what you can put together :cry: A lot of pet products can be ridiculously priced.

Since Sarge arrived, we don't use the toilet tray as he has a bit of trouble aiming his boy bits in the correct area :rofl: and he too refuses to get his feet wet :laugh: . Sooo, I scouted around in the good old shed and made a little enclosure at the front which is undercover from the carport.... and voila! a last resort toilet area... for the world's most spoiled dogs, who just cannot bear to get their delicate little tootsies wet, for whom nothing is too much trouble, and around whom the entire universe obviously revolves :laugh::rofl:

pics0024.jpg

Good luck with whatever you put together. Let us know how you go.

Oh, and I saw a pic of your little dog in another thread. She is adooooorable!!

LOL my IG is also far too precious to use the lawn when it rains. Been thinking of trying to rig up something using one of those 'pee posts' to erm.. direct his piddling to an appropriate area, just havent worked out exactly how yet lol.

LOL my IG is also far too precious to use the lawn when it rains. Been thinking of trying to rig up something using one of those 'pee posts' to erm.. direct his piddling to an appropriate area, just havent worked out exactly how yet lol.

Hmmm, what about using an outdoor umbrella stand with a post in it? Is it for indoors or outdoors?

We had one, but as Kayne's Mum said the grass stank really bad after a few days. Even washing it didn't help. We ended tossing out the grass and filling the tray with sand. That works great as its much easier to scoop out the poo with the sand, and about once every month we just replace the sand.

it's bad isn't it LOL

can we teach dogs to use our toilet? :eek:

I met someone at the dog park during the weekend who loved his pet loo. Got me interested as I'm in an apartment but I was worried about the smell... now that some of you are saying that it does stink up the place, I'm very reluctant to blow hundreds of dollars for it and decided to stick with the training pads (they don't stink one bit!!!).

a large flat under bed storage container and some paper based cat litter (never clay or crystals)

wipe up some urine from the dog on a tissue and put it in there, train as you would always toilet train (ie show the dog when it needs to go the box is an OK place)

cheap, effective and hygenic

We have done this but with fake grass over the cat litter. Poked some holes in the grass to help with drainage. It doesn't smell, and I just change the cat litter and give the grass a hose off.

Pup took to it straight away :laugh:

Hi

All I did was got a plastic tray that is for storing clothes under the bed with. I put some soil in the bottom say about75mm and then i bought a piece of 2 pieces turf from bunnings which they sell on saturdays and put that on top of the soil and then put with my puppy, he after a couple of times with the help of us sorted it out and the transition to the back yard was easy cost about $20.00 dont forget to water the turf .

Hi

All I did was got a plastic tray that is for storing clothes under the bed with crazy clarks . I put some soil in the bottom say about75mm and then i bought 2 of pieces turf from bunnings which they sell on saturdays, and put that on top of the soil I then put with my puppy, he after a couple of times with the help of us sorted it out and the transition to the back yard etc was easy, cost about $20.00 dont forget to water the turf .