Anyone Using Treadmill For Dog?

I have been biking with my 2 Affies almost everyday. Biking outdoor always have different kind of limitation - weather, time of the day (I can only do it at night during hot summer time - I live in Beijing) and my own schedule (social and work).

I think I can keep up a very consistent schedule if I use a treamill on them and I will still do some short ride with them for fun (for me and the dogs). Besdies, I think treadmill will stress their joints less than running on the road, though most of our usual route are on grass.

Any thoughts? Any advice are welcome.

I have seen a jrt use one and the dog loved it. Only tryed my two once they didnt like it at all and fell of the back :laugh: . My oh would bike with my two but as thats now against the law in my state it makes it hard and i guess its back to walking for us.

I have been biking with my 2 Affies almost everyday. Biking outdoor always have different kind of limitation - weather, time of the day (I can only do it at night during hot summer time - I live in Beijing) and my own schedule (social and work).

I think I can keep up a very consistent schedule if I use a treamill on them and I will still do some short ride with them for fun (for me and the dogs). Besdies, I think treadmill will stress their joints less than running on the road, though most of our usual route are on grass.

Any thoughts? Any advice are welcome.

The treadmill puts less stress on my joints so I'm assuming it'll have the same affect on the dog. I can run on the treadmill for 30 minutes without any pain but if i run on the footpath, my knees ache for days!

A friend puts her dogs on the treadmill when it's too hot to walk them (she has sibes so they get hot very quickly) and they love it.

I've got one cat and one dog that likes the treadmill... and one cat and one dog that hates it.... probably worth a shot if you can borrow one to try out. Just never leave unsupervised when on treadmills.

post-2657-1244034160_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking of getting one for exercising my girl so I'm looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts on them. At present I am biking with her but don't always feel safe doing this, I've had more than my fair share of stacks and while I can handle the bruises I'm terrified that she could get hurt. My sister was also saying that she had read that dogs can get shin splints from the hard pavement. I am not a fast walker and I do not have a big stride so don't find walking her much good for keeping her fit whereas the bike is toning her up nicely. Another problem with biking is watching out for broken glass, we are constantly having to skirt around it :provoke: Geez, I pick up after my dog I wish some of these people would pick up after themselves.

are human ones fine, or do you really need to use dog treadmills ?

I want to use one for me, but i want to be able to try the dogs on them

Human treadmills are fine, if the dog can reach full stride.

Some of the larger breeds, with a long stride will have to restrict their movement because the belt is not long enough and does not allow them to stretch out.

Not ideal if you are training them for show, where you want the dog to stride out fully.

For dogs such as this, a treadmill made for the purpose is much better.

They have a much longer belt, allowing the dog to move without restriction.

Julie

are human ones fine, or do you really need to use dog treadmills ?

I want to use one for me, but i want to be able to try the dogs on them

Human treadmills are fine, if the dog can reach full stride.

Some of the larger breeds, with a long stride will have to restrict their movement because the belt is not long enough and does not allow them to stretch out.

Not ideal if you are training them for show, where you want the dog to stride out fully.

For dogs such as this, a treadmill made for the purpose is much better.

They have a much longer belt, allowing the dog to move without restriction.

Julie

sweet. cheers heaps for that.

A greyhound trainer friend of mine says that you don't need to have the dog on the treadmill for as long as you do if you are walking your dog, to get the same level of fitness.

cheers

M-J

Both my dogs will run on the treadmill. My larger boy is not so keen because his longer stridelength means there is very little room to move forward or back without falling off but he will jump on for a treat. My smaller girl seems to quite enjoy it. I was inspired to give it a go after seeing Ceasar Milan train a dalmation to do it and was quite surprised at how easy it was to achieve, especially as both were a little apprehensive to begin with.

Edited by Paulp

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen a jrt use one and the dog loved it. Only tryed my two once they didnt like it at all and fell of the back :) . My oh would bike with my two but as thats now against the law in my state it makes it hard and i guess its back to walking for us.

illegal! why!